Weapons+Combat mechanics Suggestions/Discussions (PART 2) (POLL)

Docterrok

Combat mechanics poll  

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Now, today I am going to continue thoughts that were discussed in part one, if you have not checked it out, make sure to do so.

Before I get right into it, please take this poll 

Now with the result I'll know what to discuss, thanks! :)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Docterrok said:

we seem to agree! :)

Yes, the numbers seem to imply this :D

I'd love disarming as something you can learn in game though - not as professional as in the following video, but something similar at least. Maybe have some NPC law-enforcement officer teach you a few tricks for a favor.

Just now, Docterrok said:

that ginger guy looks like the type of guy that would disarm you, then eat the gun. damn his face is scary!

I wonder how many calories a glock has. Are there diet glocks? Sauteed ARs? :D

But on a more serious note, disarming someone is dangerous but worthwhile. Ironically, disarming a knife-wielding attacker is easier than disarming a gunman, and someone with a axe is even easier to disarm - just grab the handle when you've evaded/blockes his first strike and wrestle it from his hand, if he can't swing it it's useless. Bonus points if you start stabbing him as you disarm him just to let him know what you think of him... yeah, that shouldn't be done in the game, but my point stands that disarming could and should be a part of any decent melee-system.

Some kind of stress mechanic would also be awesome with your FOV shrinking, giving you "tunnel vision" and other wonky visuals as you're under fire or something. Project Reality had something similar:

1 minute ago, Wastelander said:

I wonder how many calories a glock has. Are there diet glocks? Sauteed ARs? :D

But on a more serious note, disarming someone is dangerous but worthwhile. Ironically, disarming a knife-wielding attacker is easier than disarming a gunman, and someone with a axe is even easier to disarm - just grab the handle when you've evaded/blockes his first strike and wrestle it from his hand, if he can't swing it it's useless. Bonus points if you start stabbing him as you disarm him just to let him know what you think of him... yeah, that shouldn't be done in the game, but my point stands that disarming could and should be a part of any decent melee-system.

Some kind of stress mechanic would also be awesome with your FOV shrinking, giving you "tunnel vision" and other wonky visuals as you're under fire or something. Project Reality had something similar:

That is an excellent idea! fitting as well!

5 minutes ago, alone sniper said:

actually if struggle come to game .
after a fight i like looting them for cloth or weapons.
even eating their meat !

Hmmm, except the meat part, that's good, but I was never fond of interactive melee combat, its always inaccurate and buggy. Like using an ax in dayZ was a pain for the sole reason of its flat out inaccuracy.

9 minutes ago, alone sniper said:

actually if struggle come to game .
after a fight i like looting them for cloth or weapons.
even eating their meat !

Looting - yes. Cannibalism - no. This was discussed countless times, and the inclusion of such an act would both destroy the T-rating of the game Hinterland wants to keep AND raise a bunch of moral questions - Fallout got away with it because Fallout doesn't take itself seriously and it was more of a joke anyway. Realistically, there are a bunch of psychological failsafes in the brain that prevent us from eating (and actually killing, too) people because we're herd animals. Only in the most dire of situations have normal people eaten others, in most cases nowadays there's a mental illness/really sick fetish in play.

On 6/22/2016 at 8:05 PM, Wastelander said:

Looting - yes. Cannibalism - no. This was discussed countless times, and the inclusion of such an act would both destroy the T-rating of the game Hinterland wants to keep AND raise a bunch of moral questions - Fallout got away with it because Fallout doesn't take itself seriously and it was more of a joke anyway. Realistically, there are a bunch of psychological failsafes in the brain that prevent us from eating (and actually killing, too) people because we're herd animals. Only in the most dire of situations have normal people eaten others, in most cases nowadays there's a mental illness/really sick fetish in play.

ok.
i didn't know that. 
sorry.

4 minutes ago, Wastelander said:

to add to that, this is the closest thing i could find (WARNING: Not for the faint of heart!!!) Keep in mind this was a survival situation and the actions were somewhat justified.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1972_Andes_flight_disaster

Okay, I have compiled a list of present and possible melee-weapons and how they could be used in a fight human vs. human:

• Unarmed - should be self-explanatory. Low damage, will result in a struggle.
  • Log - Basic club, useless in struggle but can crack some bones.
  • Crowbar - Very slow swing speed, high damage, high stamina use. However, due to it's heavy weight and it's length, it's easy to disarm you.
  • Hatchet - Medium swing speed, extremely high damage, can be taken from you quite easily.
  • Knife - Now these don't work like in CoD. A single stab or slice will very rarely kill someone. Most knife fights end up with one person being stabbed and sliced dozens of times - I'll link a video after this. However, while the damage is rather small, the knife is extremely fast, extremely versatile especially if you can switch your knife hand quickly and without your opponent noticing, and you're less likely to be disarmed.
  • Revolver - the good ol' pistol-whip. Does some damage but is more of a last-resort things. Can be taken from you pretty easily.
  • Rifle - a favored melee-weapon in the trenches of WW1, even without a bayonet a heavy rifle can do some damage if handled correctly, but can also be taken from you relatively simply.
  • Storm lantern - using this to give someone a good whack on the head would immediately break the lantern, but can be a last resort if surprised in a dark area. The handle actually makes this similar to a flail if handled correctly! (Source: Someone hit me with one once >_>)
  • Torch/Brand - rather useless. They're light and their only source of damage would be the fire which would have to be in contact with the enemy for several seconds, so we can ignore those.

Now I do understand that programming and animating movements and struggles for all of those would be quite a feat, so maybe the modding community will help us out with this in the future (the firearms and the storm lantern have no free keys to use in melee anyway), but I listed those anyway. Discuss.

Archived