Use cloth as tinder

Mr Bacon

I agree, but remember that you can also make 3 tinder plugs out of one paper roll, that should really be enough. It isn't that hard to find paper ;)

[offtopic]How do make it say that i have the Steam Early Access-version?[/offtopic]

And it really isn't that hard to find tinder in the Canadian wilderness, either :).

I too am a fan of tinder from other creative sources... or not so creative sources, like wood. It has been a while since I got my Eagle, but I'd get yelled at if I didn't know how to start a fire with just the wood and some string. On a side note, please... don't make us start a fire with just wood and string, it takes a really long time. Magnifying glass is enough. But the tinder, please!

How do we turn newspaper into tinder? I've got several newspaper rolls, but I don't know how to break them down further.

Tab to your main status menu --> Harvest tab --> The pull down menu will show the newspaper roll and/or newspaper print --> select that and you can harvest 3 tinder plugs. (Same change of success for starting a fire also btw...so there is no reason to use a newspaper rather than a tinder plug.)

---

I suggested being able to make Char Cloth. The launch day livestream I had going I mentioned it to David Chan (Hinterland dev) who happened to be watching. He asked a lot of questions about it and said he was taking notes to discuss with the team later.

I figured char cloth would be used as an accelerant rather than tinder though. But either would be fine by me. I just thought it increased the odds of initially starting the fire, hence the accelerant role.

I don't get it why would anyone want to burn those precious clothes. :)

I mean, they're pretty important in the long run. Tinders too, but I've got a lot of them, and I'm in day 21. I only start a fire if I need to cook or melt snow. And once I make a fire, I do all the cooking and melting I need. If I have enought food and water for 3 days, then I don't have to use tinder for 3 days. ..and start with a cedar wood, then add the reclaimed. Be sure not to use the fir wood, because they are needed for repairing things.

I really like to have more "cloth" in the game. Harvested from beds, blankets, etc. I like to keep my toque in good shape! ;)

Char cloth is really more of a fire starter than it is tinder...

What is cool about it though, it can take a spark off of a knife or piece of steel to start a fire...

Which could be really cool if you run out of matches.

I agree with @robdoar. It definitely helps get tinder lit, but isn't nearly enough to get your fuel burning. I could see it aiding in your chance of success if you've got options 1) flint and steel, 2)flint and steel with char cloth. But it adds a bit of complexity outside of the current fire craft system that is up to the devs if they want to incorporate it.

Archived