Where is the best place to get ammo? Like lots.

TheBestOfUs

So i have this character who has survived to 26 days (my all-time record), and i mainly live off animals such as deer and rabbits. I have a gun, but where is the best place to find ammo? I just need a place where enough of it spawns, and not too far from the Trapper's Homestead (that is where i have placed my camp and 24 kilos of deer- don't even bother). If you could find many places which spawn 5-6 bullets, that would be great, as i need 1 bullet per 8-9 kilos of meat.

Good question. The loot is randomized so where to find lots of ammo is not consistent game to game. You could try the following:

• Hunting blinds may have a loose round of ammo in them under the bench (or an arrow)
  • Safes in the Trapper's Cabin and Hydro Dam sometimes have lots of ammo (beware of Fluffy!)
  • Derailment normally has either a box of ammo or a loose round
  • Otherwise you'll have to try the other areas. I've found 15+ rounds on average (two boxes and some loose rounds) in Pleasant Valley once it's completely looted

Well usually when i find a mauled up deer with a wolf near it, it mostly has a kilo of meat, which is hardly any at all. I need at least 9 kilos to survive a lot of days on one kill, so getting the scraps off a wolf is not good. And just another question, is Fluffy a wolf or a bear?

I tried to make a bow today by curing saplings, but felt like a complete idiot by having birch instead of maple. I have the shafts, but not the arrow heads. I get feathers for every dead person i find, yet i just need to find the boat on the same map as the lighthouse. The boat has a forge on it, and that is the only location i know of

Answers below:

Fluffy is a :insanity_fluffy: and lives in the Hydro Dam.

There are maple saplings on the Mystery Lake map. You can also harvest broken arrow shafts for an arrow head and two feathers. The Dam also contains two broken arrows from someone who wasn't able to get past Fluffy. So far, Desolation Point remains the only area with a forge for arrow head crafting.

Wait, so there is a wolf IN the dam all along and no one told me? Never got killed by him before, but thanks for making me more scared about turning a corner. I was scared that when I would turn a corner a zombie or a man with a chainsaw would kill me.

25 minutes ago, TheBestOfUs said:

Wait, so there is a wolf IN the dam all along and no one told me? Never got killed by him before, but thanks for making me more scared about turning a corner. I was scared that when I would turn a corner a zombie or a man with a chainsaw would kill me.

Well, Fluffy is a tricky beast...

• Fluffy is never present on Pilgrim
  • Fluffy is randomly present on Voyager and never until after wolves spawn in
  • Fluffy is always present on Stalker :insanity_fluffy:

8 hours ago, sierra 117 said:

not sure how to hide cache location description.

Spoiler

(spoiler)

Text 

(/spolier)

but use square brackets instead of round ones[/spolier]

Edit: and you can even spell "spoiler" wrong and it still works, apparently!

So basically, if i go to the tracks and to the outcrops, and follow the wall, i should find, if i am lucky, a hunter's stash, possibly with guns and bullets. Never found it before, even when i wandered off in the wrong direction to get to the camp office.

So, it's random, and it is not going to happen at all? So if I did 20 goes, there is a high chance that the cache will not appear. Good to try it out, as I die a lot. But if I ever find it, I will post screenshots on my account (I will not post remarks along with it such as 'ha ha I have the stash now! You are all below me!'. It would just make me seem like a show off, which I am not)

One of the bunkers will always spawn. But there is like 8 or 9 locations where it may spawn. And each of those bunkers has its own loot theme, depending on location.

But yes, Camp Office bunker is probably the best one, you can find 20+ rounds of ammo there and possibly several rifles, plus rifle cleaning kits to keep those boomsticks going. In terms of quality bunkers with tools are probably second best, followed by medical bunker and food bunker is probably the worse of the bunch.

2 hours ago, cekivi said:

Although if you're starving @Dirmagnos it's really nice to find the food bunker :D

And welcome back. Haven't seen you on the forums in a while

Food bunker is fairly good in the beginning. Unfortunately for me, in my current game i contracted parasites and found bunker next day. Now i have no antibiotics, out of shrooms, but ton of canned food and water. Ohh, irony, you sweet sweet b**ch.

But in general i prefer tools bunker. The way i play i try to minimalize my interactions with wildlife, since i hate to waste food(or anything on that matter, i even break branches with hands instead of using hatchet and mainly burn sticks, even tho using hatchet and logs would be far easier) and on Stalker there are more than enough of random run-ins with wolves even without looking for trouble(even that i can evade and run away in like 2/3 of them). So using up even dozen of rounds inside of 100 days of surviving can be a challenge, mostly go with bow at point blank range for a sure kill if cant get away.

I had some troubles irl, plus stopped playing LD for a while. Intended to restart with story mode release, but it seems that have to wait a bit longer for that one. Patience is a virtue, after all(and with all the crappy AAA releases in late years, waiting for 6-12 months be4 game is worth playing is becoming a norm), as long as they make it right, wait is totally worth it. 8)

On 6/17/2016 at 9:53 PM, TheBestOfUs said:

So i have this character who has survived to 26 days (my all-time record), and i mainly live off animals such as deer and rabbits. I have a gun, but where is the best place to find ammo? I just need a place where enough of it spawns, and not too far from the Trapper's Homestead (that is where i have placed my camp and 24 kilos of deer- don't even bother). If you could find many places which spawn 5-6 bullets, that would be great, as i need 1 bullet per 8-9 kilos of meat.

Here is my advice.

To be honest, ammo does not respawn. And rarely you find anything more than a box of ammo with one exception Timberwolf Mountain Summit. I am in my 88 day of survival in sandbox and after I visited all maps, I've found out the best one is by far far, Timberwolf Mountain. Keep bullets you have for that, and move. Leave behind everything. There is plenty of food in Timberwolf, any tools you dream, meds, whatever. Bring a hacksaw, and a rope if you can find those. If not, you will find all there but it will be harder at the beginning.

Another strategy is to move to Pleasant Valley's Red Barn or even Farmstead. You can access pretty much every map from there. But definitely go first and get supplies from Timberwolf.

TM has the most loot by far, compared to any other location and in terms of quality id say it has the most loot than all other locations combined.

If i remember it right there are 8 containers on the Summit in the tail section, and about same amount scattered across map. With each container yielding a lot of stuff, comparable to content of a bunker. Getting 5+ premium items per container is quite a possible outcome. And even tho some containers contain rather uninteresting loot, like food, ones that are weapon or tools -themed can give more stuff in select category, per container, than player can find on a whole map in other regions.

So i am guessing that you would spend most of your time outside, yet if you find buildings, you will most likely stay there for a long time, as they are hard to find. But most of the time they are stocked up very well, that is if you find a good house. But as they do not have many buildings, they have to balance out loot and the buildings available, making it more difficult yet when you find a building. 20 or so days it very easy to do on other modes for me, as they have better things like peanut butter, mre's and things that give you lots of calories. Yet they do have a lot of wood around, so mostly all of the time you are fully hydrated by melting snow. Though i went down this rope before, and at the bottom i found a little cellar sort of place, stocked up with some ammo (one box in a vent) and with some houses nearby(all burnt and one providing a pot belly stove, to melt snow and cook food). I could survive there for a bit of time, but it seemed to not be that well stocked, as i play on Mystery Lake, where there are a lot of buildings, and whenever you collect up all of the things around, you could survive a long time.

Archived