What type of weapons do you own, and what do you hunt ??

• 5 months later...

I have actually just got back into hunting but I think some of the basic gear (like clothing, boots, daypack and a solid blade) should not be overlooked. I also pack my 4" Ruger .357 or my 3.4" Beretta Storm 9mm as a back up, depending on where I am. Colorado, the .357 went with me everywhere. Down here is Alabama, the 9mm is my chosen backup.

The goes to what I am going to hunt. If I am going deer hunting, I switch to a vegan diet for 10 days prior to hunting and I drink a LOT more water. This forces the "carnivore" smell from my body. Allows me to get a LOT closer to my prey. If I am going to hunt adult wild pig I do the same thing. However, if I am just hunting shoat, rabbit or squirrel I carry on as usual.

My current favorite for hunting if my newest, a Savage Arms .223 Bolt Action with a Browning scope. I can take out anything from a squirrel to a deer. Hunting deer with a .223 would have been unheard of 10 years ago but modern powder has really changed the equation. That said, I don't plan on shooting at prey over 100 yards away. I am not going to go into hunting with my personal fav (a .22 mag) for fear of self incrimination :)

If I am hunting fowl, then my Remington 24" semi auto 12 ga is my companion. I just change out my load depending on my prey (duck, pheasant, quail, dove or pigeon). Some may think 12 ga is to large for the smaller birds, but all you need to do is lighten the load. I have not turkey hunted in years and I really don't have a weapon that would do them justice at this time. Maybe in a few years.

For hunting i use only the IZ-27EM-1C ,its a russian 12gauge shotgun.It serve me for years,its very heavy and idiotproof weapon.I hunt rabbits,wild boars,ducks,foxes etc. with the shotgun.In -20 C ,or +40 C,oiled or not,it will shot every time. Wopa Russian style 8-)

I don't hunt, but enjoy shooting targets with some old (1960s) rifles my dad gave me years ago, specifically a .22 and a .308, both of which were a lot of fun once fitted with new scopes. I stocked up on some old Argentinian bulk military surplus .308 ammo years ago so that it doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I also occasionally fire a Ruger Old Army revolver. It must be because I like the BOOM and smoke from black powder, since I rarely hit what I'm aiming at with it. ;) It had to be repaired about 20 years ago and on a whim, the gunsmith decided to set gold into the engravings without asking and at no charge. I guess some purists might have objected, but I thought it was a pretty cool thing for him to do.

I'm an Australian.

I have:

A 223 remington 7615, with a redfield counterstrike, this has an aftermarket pistol grip skeleton stock and tri rail w/foregrip at the front. Nice fast varmint gun with AR mags.

A 308 Tikka T3 Lite in Stainless steel, with a leupold scope on it. It's my deer gun nice and light for that one special shot after hours of walking.

A 22 remington fieldmaster with red dot. A fun gun for rabbits.

A 22 JW15 Norinco bolt action with a generic scope. A piece of crap, but a good teaching gun.

A 12ga lever action chiappa 1887 shogtun. Was originally the safe queen but I've abused it thoroughly. Great gun for getting rabbits in a country where pumps are more restricted.

• 4 weeks later...

Since I've last posted...

Sig Sauer P320 (full size), 9mm.

Sig Sauer P320 Compact, 9mm.

CZ-USA Scorpion EVO w/ Sig Brace, 9mm.

S&W M&P 15 Sport (x2), 223 Rem.

On Order:

Sig Sauer P220 Tactical Hunter, 10mm.

lefthttp://i.imgur.com/aolu0jz.jpg

Ruger Precision Rifle, 6.5 Creedmoor.

I'll be putting a nice Vortex scope on the last, and that will be my first truly long range rifle.

I have my SPS Tac in 308, but let's be fair... there's no comparing those two.

As for hunting, I don't have pics on this work laptop, but we've taken five gators, two hogs, and one Osceola longbeard since I was on here last. Almost all my wife's work, until she got herself pregnant again. I have no clue how that keeps happening...

Thanks - T

• 4 months later...

Living in Germany, none at the moment (other than a .177 pellet gun which I use to put the fear of God into the sparrows who seem to think that I am growing lettuce just for them), back in Canada, a Parker Hale .303 British Nr. 4 rifle which had been sporterised, and a stock SMLE Nr1 MkIII, along with a 20 gauge shotgun and a .22 semi-auto rifle. I hunted everything from Snowshoe Hare to Moose. as well as grouse and waterfowl.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I used to hunt deer on a regular basis. Nowadays I work in an industry that gets extremely busy building up for 'Black Friday' and then extremely busy for a few weeks after, this means deer season often falls outside my schedule.

The rifle I bought myself was a Remington 700 in 7mm Remington Magnum, when I was young and foolish and thought I'd be regularly able to hunt elk and other bigger game as well. I've thought of buying a rifle in 257 Roberts or 25-06 as there is no need for the extra power of the 7mm Rem Mag, not for the biggest white tail or mule deer, so all it does is add unnecessary expense, recoil, and noise. However, deer season with my current job is enough of an unlikely event I have not yet made this change.

I have a CZ-526 in 223 I've taken coyote hunting as that I can do when work slows down. I've never successfully bagged a yote yet though.

I have a winchester 1300 12 gauge, done some pheasant hunting when a friend had a bird dog. It's hard to do without a bird dog. Also have a rifle sighted barrel for it, have used it for hunting in 'slug only' deer areas. Right now though it is wearing an 18 inch 'home defense' lenght barrel.

Edit. And a Ruger 10-22, don't use it for hunting but for fun shooting.

And a Mosin Nagant, but not for hunting

And a couple handguns.

Just was thinking about this, and given the choice of the only gun to have in a survival situation, I'd go with a .22 bolt action or semi auto with a 4X scope. You can carry a whack of ammo, and it will put down all small game and birds. Also while I wouldn't do it in a sporting hunt, it will take down a deer or a wolf if you are a good shot. Bears would be better left alone though...

• 2 weeks later...

Right now I have

• .410 for grouse and ptarmigan hunting
  • 12 gauge if I do go for rabbits
  • .22 Remington 597 if I don’t want to use my .410
  • and I have a 9mm S&W MP for target hunting

I'm looking to get a rifle thinking maybe Remington 700 .308 but I'm waiting for the Canadian dollar to get a litte bit better I noticed the price go up $100.00 from last spring.

Living in the UK I'm severly limited and don't actually own any weapons apart from a home made catapult with theraband (walmart/asda) blue banding for trying my luck with the odd squirrel or wood pigeon.

I can't even carry an old opinel no 9 without removing the locking ring as it's illegal in the UK so the only hunting i do on a regular basis is around dollar stores (or poundlands here) for deals on ramen noodles.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to have a working WW1 service rifle with a bayonet, didn't used it was hanging above the stove until some gang members came and took it, they called themselves the police.

They also took the old man his uniform, his metal headbucket and some rounds.

Fighting for your country right? Hunting Nazi's right? It was all a lie.

I can only hope for a time where i can hunt down those gangmembers, but for now i ain't hunting.

For ever a wound in my brain.

Bought a pistol and a whole lot of bullets in a shop that sold beach toys somewhere in Spain (easiest purchase ever) couple of years after they took the rifle.

I bought the biggest most expensive rubber boat (was more like an IRB; rescue boat) there and when i walked outside a guy in my language approuched me (like he knew?) asked if i wanted to see the full stock the shop had to offer...

Fired up all the bullets before we went back to our country, when we came home the pistol was gone...

Still remains a mysterie today. But atleast we also went sight seeing in the Pyreeneen or however you spell that.

I also have two 150 year old extended assegai african spears that's been in the family for ~ a century now.

+ a persion dagger.

• 1 month later...

I just bought myself a sporterized .303 Enfield a few weeks ago, ran the numbers and it dates back to WW1! This is an interesting one too, it was made for the British army by Remington in the US of A. 

Initially, I was looking at .22's and 30-06's, but I just kept coming back to it. And the more I looked at it, the more I liked it. It's a solid gun and it was the nicest rifle I could get for the price. The bolt action felt great, the barrel was in decent shape and it has iron sights. The "odd" caliber and the history of it added to it's appeal, I like old oddball stuff for some reason. 

I finally got to go out and shoot it last week and now I like it even more, but if anyone knows where I can get cheap .303 rounds, let me know...

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've got two long guns and a handgun, as well as a bow. My baby is my 1903 Springfield firing the .30-06 cartridge (it was well worth the price tag: $1.300), and I'm pretty accurate with it too.

Second is a replica .303 Lee Enfield that my grandfather gave me. However, I use it more for a showcase than hunting: he put a lot of work into that rifle.

The pistol is the always-reliable Colt 1911, used in case I have a close-up encounter in the woods. To date, thankfully, I've never had to use it in that role.

As for the bow, I can't remember the make or model of it. She hasn't been out in a while as I've been putting off restringing her.

As for what I hunt: mainly deer, elk, and caribou. It's only when I can get out of the house though.

(Completely unrelated, the shooting range down by me has an ACTUAL M1919 .30-caliber machine gun for sale for $2.500)

• 8 months later...

I hunted a white tail deer once with a 30-06. I currently have a .270 I've sighted in a dozen times and never hunted with. I have a FEG PA63 9x18MM Makarov handgun I plink with, and I've owned and long ago sold a 12 guage pump, and a 5.56mm mini-Rancher 14 and had a .357 stolen from the cheapest apartment I ever lived in.

I asked my friend how to butcher a deer and he gave me some pointers after the big shot. He wasn't able to stay with me beyond removing the entrails and showing me how he drained it and removed the hide. When it came time to take it home and cut the meat off the bone, he told me 'you'll kind of just know' how to do it. 'Imagine what kind of steaks you want to see sitting in front of you and you'll just cut it up that way.'

It was actually pretty sound advice and I spent the next few hours filling my freezer with wrapped steaks. I'm sure there's way better ways to do it, but I was the only person who ate any of it so what I did lasted me a long time.

I think if I got back into hunting I'd probably trade up to a .308.

My buddy had a scout/tanker .303 enfield that was used in the Korean war and I shot a few rounds out of it once. Kicked like a mule.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Or get a winch and a lot on nylon rope.   I'm tired of dragging deer so will try this year: several hundred feet of nylon and the winch.

One of my buddies swears by it.  I will come back and update this post if it works LOL... 

You might need walkie-talkies for the go/stop coms...

Edited by ernestww

Dont have no firearms - european laws on guns are very strict and are getting much worse due to all the terrorist attacks in the past two years.
I would like to obtain a handgun licence (cant do much more than that here) and get myself a glock 17 for personal protection, but both the licence and handgun are pretty expensive, I have very little in a way of income and a ton of other things I need to buy first before even thinking about this. Czech Republic law separates guns into 4 cathegories, going from automatic weapons in a cathegory A which are strictly banned all the way to D class which is dedicated for airsoft guns and air guns (and only of rather weak FPS), which can be purchased for 18+ without a licence. Handguns are cathegory B and can be purchased after obtaining licence. Shotguns, rifles and several other guns are class C and can only be purchased by professional hunter (which is not a hobby, but a profession, hunter club here means you are a forest custodian for your profession, and hunting is only allowed during organized events. Hobby hunting is strictly prohibited.)

A lot more people are recently interested in obtaining guns in here because people are afraid of the immigration and the fact that a lot of radicals come by with the immigrants. But the increased gun laws make it more difficult - which is a joke, since all the guns used in terrorist attacks were obtained illegally.

When I was in a States, I wanted to buy and  bring a cool air gun home with me for target shooting - but couldnt. No rifles I was interested in had an FPS low enough to pass through a Czech airport control. So I just got myself a nice bowie knife. Its funny how a thing considered a "toy" in the US is considered a "firearm" in the Czech Republic.

I suppose the only "firearms" (according to my country´s riddiculous laws) I own would be a cheap and weak SVD Dragunov airsoft rifle without a scope, unpainted, and an old air gun I inherited from my grandfather - sadly that one is damaged and bent for it so it is not exactly a precise gun to use. Its a damn shame because that air gun is vintage by now.

Gun ranges in here dont have automatic weapons to shoot out of here, either. At least not to my knowledge. The only way to get a chance here to fire an automatic weapon is to join a czech SWAT team in police forces, or the army.

Edited by Mroz4k

suburban living in MN, USA. i like to have my colt 1911 commander (basically a regular 1911 with a shorter barrel) i use that as my every day normal conceal carry.

as for hunting-

AR-15 (belongs to my pops but ive used it more often)

collapsible recurve bow (25lbs-11.3kilo pull weight) i use to kill the rabbits who haunt the garden and neighborhood alike (hard to do living next to a police station-shhh don't tell)

Remington 12G for goose season

and i plan on buying a classic wood finish M14 once i finish getting my RN so i can actually afford it

I use a standard issue ISO/IEC 7810 ID-1, fully automatic 3.37" × 2.125" laminated debit card for getting cattle, pigs and chickens, with the occasional duck. I can also use it for fishing, often bringing in cod, salmon, tuna and perch. I wouldn't leave home without it.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Carbon said:

I use a standard issue ISO/IEC 7810 ID-1, fully automatic 3.37" × 2.125" laminated debit card for getting cattle, pigs and chickens, with the occasional duck. I can also use it for fishing, often bringing in cod, salmon, tuna and perch. I wouldn't leave home without it.

By far the safest and most reliable hunting option! :D 

@Mroz4k: I can't speak for the Americans but in Canada firearm availability is more or less a cultural norm. In the major Eastern cities guns are rarer but once you get to the smaller communities hunting and fishing is very common. Over here, hunting is very much a recreational activity. A Canadian stereotype is that we have really restrictive gun laws. That's partially true. While buying a rifle or shotgun is actually really easy (all you need to do is pass a weekend course and a criminal records check) purchasing a handgun is much harder than in the US. Also, open carry is definitely not a thing here (I personally find it a little crazy). I always found it a little odd when I visited the States that certain stores and malls actually had to post "firearms banned on premises" or see stores advertising handgun sales...

As for terror attacks... to the best of my knowledge all of the firearms used in attacks on both sides of the border were obtained legally here. Gun control is a really politicised issue in the States. In Canada, the last major attack (École Polytechnique in Montreal, 1989, not classified as a terror attack) resulted in a lot of legislation to try and prevent future attacks by making it easier to track firearms and added a lot of additional rules for owning one. Unfortunately, the major pieces of the legislation have since been dismantled due to policy disagreements between different parties. While the legislation was deeply flawed and went massively over budget it was not, I believe, a bad idea at its core. It was just horribly designed and implemented by people who knew little (if anything) about hunting and rural life in general. The polar opposite approach is what Australia did the last time they had a mass shooting. The Daily Show actually did a nice report on the steps the politicians of the day took to try and prevent future attacks. 

Yea, but when it comes to any recent major attacks in Europe (for example the attacks in France, which actually resulted in these stricter limitations), those were all carried out by weapons, which were obtained illegaly and even already banned in those countries to begin with (at least I believe so). Therefore I find it a bit strange that there would be policies to make it more difficult to obtain a registered, legal gun, instead of focusing on removing illegal weapons trade instead, or better checks on borders. Especially now since in the past few years, these attacks have significantly increased in number.

I suppose I shouldnt stand so against it - Czech Republic is considered the third most peaceful country in the world and I believe that is mostly due to a part that it is so difficult to obtain firearms here - you have to take lessons at the range under instructor, then pass a test on the range, a test in a classroom of how to take the firearm apart, and also mental evaluation - and as a result you can buy most of handguns. Not to mention the actual tests and lectures cost around 8-10K crowns which is about half of an average pay in here. 

Also, while I seriously dont like it, I also get the reason why hunting is banned altogether in here - Europe is unlike Canada and States, where you can sometimes go for 1 hour on a car and not see another city... in here, you go half of an hour on foot by a road and you are quaranteed to run into a town or a village, or at least a house... there is no free wilderness anymore, and if hunting were allowed, not only we would quickly lose all wildlife, but accidents where hikers get shot instead of an animal would likely be common, since there are already a lot more hikers in the mountains then there is a game.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Mroz4k said:

Also, while I seriously dont like it, I also get the reason why hunting is banned altogether in here - Europe is unlike Canada and States, where you can sometimes go for 1 hour on a car and not see another city... in here, you go half of an hour on foot by a road and you are quaranteed to run into a town or a village, or at least a house... there is no free wilderness anymore, and if hunting were allowed, not only we would quickly lose all wildlife, but accidents where hikers get shot instead of an animal would likely be common, since there are already a lot more hikers in the mountains then there is a game.

Oh, I know quite a few places in Canada (and I'm sure the same is true in the US) where you can drive for several hours without seeing any towns larger than 10 000 people and that's on the Trans Canada Highway :) 

Go off the highway and there's more than a few places where there's no one around.