What type of weapons do you own, and what do you hunt ??

On the back of @robdoar and his Open Deer, made me think what others around the world and #TLD lovers own and use in the rifle stakes. Im not worried about handguns, unless you hunt with it, but because the Laws in Australia to own a hand Gun are that strict, there isn't a great deal on show, let alone, no of anyone that uses one, unless they are in a Handgun Club. But i do have a soft spot for the Browning 9mm, and Glock from military days.

I have a 308 Ruger with Red Dot sights, Stainless Steel Silver Barrel and it just looks sexy haha

.223 Remington w/ Red Dot sights. The .223 is the same as the Military's 5.56mm commonly used.

Winchester .410 over/under double barrel shotgun . . . .

I have had at one stage a 140lb Compound hunting bow and used carbon fibre .22 exploding head Arrows home built by a good mate. So if the arrow shot was off and didn't bring down the boar, the .22 going off inside him would :D

Hunt Roo's (Kangaroos), fox, rabbit and wild pigs, and thats about it for my area of living.

I've evolved my style over the years, mainly because I've moved around so much (4 states, 2 countries, two distinct regions in one of those states) in my life so far, but it's pretty simple these days!

I'm a Florida resident again (born and raised here too), and we have a hog presence here, so I have a Marlin 1895GS with a custom large hoop lever and a short-range turkey scope on it, and that's about all I get to use on anything larger than a rabbit here in FL.

When I do the varmint thing here, it's usually with a tried-and-true Ruger 10/22 camo'd out, scoped, with a custom trigger. Nothing small gets away from it provided it hasn't already gotten away...

I still have my Colorado wet work gun, my baby, my beautiful horror: a Sako TRG 42 in 338 Lapua Magnum, custom painted (by me), flash hider, Harris CM bipod... Oh such a wonderful hunting gun, and obviously since it was built to hunt humans and not animals, people looked at me funny, but I always said, "Can you hit a Mule Deer at 1,000 yards with your Browning?"

I mean... I couldn't hit anything at that range either, but the GUN could... and I was young and dumb, with more money than brains!

Have a SCAR-H, desert tan, custom paint.

Kel-Tec KSG in Green, not yet painted because it has not yet arrived...

I guess other than my handguns, the most "normal" weapon I have is a Remington 700 SPS Tactical w/ the Hogue overmounded stock, custom painted, flash hider, medium-range Leupold scope... Great gun, if only I shot it more.

I have a few other shotguns, namely a H&H break-open that is way too much fun for only costing $170 USD!

I collect Mosin Nagants and their variants, so I have about 90 of those, but I don't do anything with any of them but two; One 91/30 and one M44 that I use to shoot on fun days.

My all-time favorite handgun, no matter the new, awesome pistols or any of that jazz, is my Ruger Super Blackhawk (44 Magnum), 5 1/4" barrel, blued, with Ruger limited edition bone grip panels. LOVE THAT REVOLVER!

I also indulge the insane hobby of traditional archery, namely longbow and horse bow, even though I don't ride. Call me crazy.

I have several custom longbows, including a Japanese Yumi, which is a total *%$ to learn to shoot, and I still can't do it right...

I have one Lynx II Hungarian horse bow, and that's going up for sale soon, because I just can't justify keeping something that I can't find a way to get into...

Three of my four longbows are old English style, either Hawkwood or Visen, and the last is a new carbon-fiber backed ultra-long-distance longbow, made for raining feather and point from both short and loooong distances!

If there were to be a want on here, I'd have to say a Barrett Barrett M107A1 CQ in .50 BMG, Flat Dark Earth. Yeah, one of those.

Thanks - T

The .223 is the same as the Military's 5.56mm commonly used.

Not to be too nit-picky but the .223 isn't exactly the same as the military 5.56 round, there is a slight difference.

I currently own a Ruger Gunsite Scout which is chambered in .308 WIN, a Glock 17 9mm, a Ruger Mark III Target, a Ruger 10/22, and a Remington 870 12 gauge.

As far as hunting, now a days the only thing that need fear me are paper targets and any random items I decide to take to the range to shoot. Some more popular items among the people that I go to the range with are watermelons, potatoes, cinder blocks, clay pigeons, and anything else that explodes when it is shot.

I currently own a Ruger Gunsite Scout which is chambered in .308 WIN, a Glock 17 9mm, a Ruger Mark III Target, a Ruger 10/22, and a Remington 870 12 gauge.

How do you like the Scout?

I've been thinking about one of those as a "ranch gun" (even though my ranch is 1800 mi. away) for a while, and they are on sale at Impact...

You might sway me!

Thanks - T

I love it, I have only put about 500 rounds through it but I have had zero problems, well to be honest the stock magazine is kinda iffy but I picked up a couple of the polymer 10 round mags for it and am now completely satisfied with it. I personally use the stock rail and an extended eye relief scope from Leupold but there is an aftermarket full length rail that allows you to use traditional scopes as well.

If there were to be a want on here, I'd have to say a Barrett Barrett M107A1 CQ in .50 BMG, Flat Dark Earth. Yeah, one of those.

Thanks - T

Very nice collection there T, but I'm with you, would love to have M82A1 50 caliber rifle.

I have in my Military days, put a few rounds through the M82A1 at targets over 2000mtrs, and it was like silk, when you pulled that trigger :)

There was a record set with the M82A1 with a Kill Shot over 2815mtrs supposedly.

Not to be too nit-picky but the .223 isn't exactly the same as the military 5.56 round, there is a slight difference.

Yea not exactly, but it gives the civvies or uninitiated an idea of what type of round it is.

I've got quite a collection, but my daily carry is a Glock 34.

My rifle zone deer rifle is a Remington 700 in 30.06.

My shotgun zone deer gun is a Remington 870 with a rifled slug barrel. (28" field barrel for upland game)

My "survival" gun is a single shot 12 gauge. With 9mm and .22lr inserts.

My favorite plinker is a custom built 5.56 AR with a 16" Bravo Company upper.

Close second is my 10/22 with Volq. 2.5# trigger and heavy stainless barrel. Super heavy but scary accurate.

To name a few... :-)

I've got quite a collection, but my daily carry is a Glock 34.

My rifle zone deer rifle is a Remington 700 in 30.06.

My shotgun zone deer gun is a Remington 870 with a rifled slug barrel. (28" field barrel for upland game)

My "survival" gun is a single shot 12 gauge. With 9mm and .22lr inserts.

My favorite plinker is a custom built 5.56 AR with a 16" Bravo Company upper.

Close second is my 10/22 with Volq. 2.5# trigger and heavy stainless barrel. Super heavy but scary accurate.

To name a few... :-)

A nice list this is.

As there are gun owners in this thread, maybe it's a good place to ask my question. I just learned today about the existence of something really disturbing: pink rifles. It was originally just a photo of a toy gun section, but the ensuing discussion revealed that there are also real ones, and even in pink camo pattern. Who would ever want/buy/use one?

I've got nothing against hunting (my brother's a hunter), if it's done for wildlife management or you're going to eat what you kill (so you're not hunting just for the fun of it), but pink rifles? Really?

One of the most important parts of owning a firearm that you will be firing, is being comfortable with the firearm. If a certain color makes the owner more comfortable, then that is an important factor. While I agree that the basic and root purpose of a firearm is killing, there are also sports which revolve around shooting and many enjoy target shooting as a pastime, to these people it is a piece of sporting equipment, one they may wish to customize with their favorite color. I think you are making a poor connection between the color of a firearm and the affect that color will have on the intentions or perceptions of the person holding/seeing/shooting that firearm.

@LoganG, I guess I am a bit strict about the issue, but I got my lessons from military personnel (in Civil Defense courses), and they are a serious bunch, probably because they are used to dealing with young guys who may have never even touched a gun before (national service means you go to the army, want it or not). Also, a guy I worked with for one summer when I was in high school died later in one of those freak hunting accidents, because of a moment's carelessness with his hunting rifle (and he was an experienced hunter). So, while you need to be comfortable with the gun, you also need certain amount of respect for what it can do.

which is the basic purpose of any firearm.

99.99999999% of the rounds fired from any firearm don't hurt anything.

They hurt my wallet :D

Oooh, tell me, brother...

I stopped reloading and that wasn't a smart move!

Back to what ya'll were saying:

I bought my wife a nice Spikes AR-15 direct from the factory, with no coating but a bare primer dusting (we live in Orlando, they are in Apopka), and then I candy-striped it for her; pink, powder blue, faded yellow, and burnt orange!

I love painting my guns, and she wanted something very different, but familiar and easy to shoot, and so this works, right?

There's no implication to the "color" of guns, just like there's no implication to the color of a person's skin.

It's not right to say that a man with black or brown or white skin is a "bad person" just because of the covering he wears, so apply that to the gun...

I also have a pistol with gold appurtenances, but it doesn't mean I'm a drug dealer because I have a "pimped out" gun; it's just looks added to the already-in-place functionality.

Thanks - T

• 7 months later...

I know I'm necro'ing this thread, but I have a (step)daughter that got into NASP archery at school last year, and is now shooting so much she's eating the fletching off her 24 arrows, and my wife got to see all the cool bows and ladies' archery stuff, and now... Now I'm out a CRAP LOAD of money because she wanted into the archery world.

Mathews Jewel, full custom rig, Gold Tip Ted Nugent Pink Zebra arrows, and field bags for targets (for now).

Hilarious. :shock:

I have my OMP recurve and Sevier short Stick Bow, so I'll never hunt, but it's exciting to see them get into it!

I told my wife I'd be her tracker, spotter, and shot caller, and she could do the "taking" for us! :D

Thanks - T

• 4 weeks later...
As there are gun owners in this thread, maybe it's a good place to ask my question. I just learned today about the existence of something really disturbing: pink rifles. It was originally just a photo of a toy gun section, but the ensuing discussion revealed that there are also real ones, and even in pink camo pattern. Who would ever want/buy/use one?

Me. I bought a pink Ruger 10/22 for my niece as an 11th birthday present a few years back.

Personal hunting arms-wise, I usually take a CZ 20-ga. SxS out after grouse and snowshoe hares. Remington 870 for ducks. I hunt bigger game with a non-sporterized Long Branch Lee Enfield (and if I can make a suggestion can the .303 in the game be made to look more like a Lee Enfield?). Used to take a VZ58 after deer but sold that one last year. I have a second 870 with rifle sights for shotgun WMUs, and a Lyman Great Plains Hunter .50 flintlock for blackpowder season.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

....a Lee Enfield 303 #5 (Jungle Carbine) vintage 1945, kicks like a mule :), the game depicts a #4 SMLE -- a much more commonly issued Lee Enfield.

The 303 is good cartridge for most anything we have in BC, not too much gun to spoil the meat. As an interesting aside, it is very appropriate that such a rifle be found in TLD world (northern Canada somewhere), many thousands made their way from military issue into civilian use as hunting rifles after WWII, although they are fading from use now.

I suggested to Hinterland that the trapper cabin should spawn the #5, although it is less common, it had a rep as a good scout rifle, shorter and a kilo lighter than the #4. The British made it for the Burma conflict in WWII I believe, where a light, shorter infantry rifle was considered desirable, hence the moniker 'Jungle Carbine' . Features that would make it a natural choice for a trapper :)...

• 2 weeks later...

I own a Beanfield Sniper With a heavy 26-inch barrel, the Sendero is built to squeeze as much velocity as possible out of flat-­shooting cartridges for long and accurate shots. Its scope is kinda heavy its is likely weigh 10 pounds or more—but if you’ve got a short hike to your stand or don’t mind humping a beefy rig, the Sendero is ideal. The rigid HS Precision stock helps with accuracy. I hunt deers.

• 3 weeks later...

I like their use of the Enfield No. 4 in game. I think earlier they had a sporterized version, but it wasn't the same. The .303 is legendary in the Canadian north. Personally I favor the Mosin-Nagant among surplus rifles. But I own all sorts of stuff, from an AK-74 clone to a variety of black powder pieces. And if those run out of ammo I've got spears, a Dane axe and just got a Lutel longsword. I'm excitable as to choice :D

There's some new cartridges that are in the realm of *ancient* that I'm resurrecting in my collection, like 6.5x55 Swede and my new personal favorite, 9.3x62mm (Mouser).

Both are hard to find modern arms chambered for, but CZ-USA makes one of each at least, as well as one my new pistols, the P-09 in 9mm.

Also got my new LMT CQB MRP in 5.56/.223, and I have the 300 BLK barrel for that one on order.

Have a new CZ mod. 97 coming, that's in 45 ACP...

Also a Ruger Bisley Convertible SA revolver that sits 45 Long Colt and 45 ACP.

I like this stuff!

Thanks - T