Um.. keybinds?

xeo

I'm sure the answer is right in front of me somewhere but I just can't find it. Hitting all the keys in-game didn't seem to present a solution either, except to waste a precious match.

How the heck do I equip my hatchet? Or a crowbar? I have 1 of each, but the only things I seem to be able to get into my hands are either a flare or a lantern or a match. How do I equip other things? Or do they just sit in the backpack and are only applicable when doing things like gathering wood? I could swear I saw a twitch stream or a youtube video where somebody had a hatchet in their hand... but maybe I'm mistaken. Help!

I didn't find any key binds to speak of either.

I fiddled and found the 1-9 keys do things. Also you just click on the locked locker/item to unlock with crowbar in inventory.

Hatchet is used during the forage for wood action in your action menu. (tab)

Hunting knife is used for butchering animals, during those actions.. etc.

I have only played 30 minutes or so, as i just bought the game today at the launch.

But I've watched enough YouTube videos to get the gist of the controls.

I would recommend watching some of this guys lets play.

Yeah, I thought maybe they were situational, like you mention with the lockers. I think that's what I remember seeing, is a guy opening lockers with a crowbar. I got stuck in a hut in the middle of a storm with no firewood, and was hoping I could equip my hatchet somehow and bust up some of the furniture for wood. That's probably not an option, but I was hopeful.

Thx for the reply!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

One keybind I would really like is a static walk (Double-tap W, or scroller wheel on mouse = the hero continues to walk in a straight line, so we dont have to hold the W-key)

I am still continuing to forage for an item in my office that will wedge the W-key down

One keybind I would really like is a static walk (Double-tap W, or scroller wheel on mouse = the hero continues to walk in a straight line, so we dont have to hold the W-key)

I am still continuing to forage for an item in my office that will wedge the W-key down

Yes, an auto-walk function would be nice. I use a pencil sharpener with an eraser on top to press the W key but it makes it difficult to react quickly when you encounter a wolf.

• 5 months later...

Yes, the movement and looking actions could sure be improved. I like the Duke Nukem bindings. the arrow keys should work well as long as you hold them down while the mouse let's you look around without changing your direction. Of course, now that every one has become accustomed to a particular key binding, it's hard to change it. I presume at some point they might let us configure the key-bindings like in other games. I think this game is going to be the NEXT BIG HIT. I love it. There is so much reality. It's painful to watch the nubes on YouTube. Argggh! :? Strangely,they have an advantage because they wait until they have no food left before venturing out so they travel less encumbered, which is really the best way to travel. You should explore with your rifle or flares or torches and no reserve food until you learn the locality and then get ready to pack out on a good day with the important items like Jerry Can, Lantern, tools and kits. It's so painful to watch the nubes carrying everything!!

Archived