i need a hobby. :-)

Axtos

On 7/6/2016 at 6:22 AM, miah999 said:

Find a deck of cards and play solitaire, when the real time cooking gets added it might be neat to move some cards around while your dear stew boils down. 

This.  There is a reason why a pack of cards is included in RCAF survival packs.

• Upvote 2

Did anyone play Firewatch?

The map in that game was ideal as you filled in details as you explored etc.

That could be incorporated into the notes area of the journal and be specific to your game. That, though, could be plenty of work for the devs to get to work o.O

12 minutes ago, dmosbon said:

Did anyone play Firewatch?

The map in that game was ideal as you filled in details as you explored etc. (hrm what 8-12 hrs i think i played)

That could be incorporated into the notes area of the journal and be specific to your game. That, though, could be plenty of work for the devs to get to work o.O

yeah i played that game for a while, was interesting but didn't last long on game play wise. (4 hours and lost interest)

The map idea was good for that game play but now thinking about it I don't think it would suit the long dark. TLD is unique and I think adding to many easy options to find stuff would suck and break the game play style.

Well that's just my thoughts, my TLD game play is now over 480 hours plus, therefore I think they are on a winner and I really love where the game is going at present.

Edited by nicko

1 hour ago, Docterrok said:

Are you kidding? I wish there was anything to do as a hobby in this game! I'd lift weights as a hobby if I could! :D

Lifting weights could be cool, like it could increase the amount you could carry after a certain amount of lifting had been done or even stave of exhaustion a little but longer.

• Upvote 1

What about an actual book or books? Project Gutenberg has tons of real book that are public domain, that could be included as a was to pass time. Read a page or two of a classic while you wait for that blizzard to pass. 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, miah999 said:

What about an actual book or books? Project Gutenberg has tons of real book that are public domain, that could be included as a was to pass time. Read a page or two of a classic while you wait for that blizzard to pass. 

The idea is awesome, however, including them in TLD would be using them commercially so I guess Hinterland would still have to pay license fees. I'd be willing to write some stuff for Hinterland free of charge though - despite me being a grown up man, I am horifically good at writing cheesy romance fiction so cringeworthy you keep on reading it despite your brain melting because of the sheer stupidity of what you're reading :D

6 minutes ago, Wastelander said:

The idea is awesome, however, including them in TLD would be using them commercially so I guess Hinterland would still have to pay license fees. I'd be willing to write some stuff for Hinterland free of charge though - despite me being a grown up man, I am horifically good at writing cheesy romance fiction so cringeworthy you keep on reading it despite your brain melting because of the sheer stupidity of what you're reading :D

It depends, the true old public domain works, can be used commercially with no fee. It varies by work, but you'd be surprised how many works can be found without any copyrights these days.

However, getting some original short stories or novellas written by fans could be awesome. 

Also never work for free. Trust me.

2 minutes ago, miah999 said:

It depends, the true old public domain works, can be used commercially with no fee. It varies by work, but you'd be surprised how many works can be found without any copyrights these days.

However, getting some original short stories or novellas written by fans could be awesome. 

Also never work for free. Trust me.

Oh, it wouldn't be completely free, trust me - if anything, I'd want at least some graffiti on the dam in a near-inaccessible spot saying "Sven is awesome!" :D

And yeah, originals would be awesome because that also includes the community in the development of something we cherish - it's not really a game changer, but it's a fun little bit. After all, humanity's all about cooperation (at least in my dream world :D

I think definitely whittling little statuettes would be a cool little gimmicky kinda time waster, it could be skill based, so at first you'd be making kinda bad crude statuettes and eventually you're able to craft more detailed beautiful statuettes to decorate your home~ That said, a whole bunch of other decorations you could make ranging from bad to good quality to decorate would be an amazing addition to the game, and certainly make the months/years you survive a bit more enjoyable. 

And in terms of something to do whilst waiting out a blizzard... you could read a book maybe? Sure it's not in game but it's something to do whilst waiting, maybe if they add npc's in future you'll be able to play cards and gamble with them, that is if you let them stay in your safe house. 

5 minutes ago, Shyassasain said:

And in terms of something to do whilst waiting out a blizzard... you could read a book maybe? Sure it's not in game but it's something to do whilst waiting, maybe if they add npc's in future you'll be able to play cards and gamble with them, that is if you let them stay in your safe house. 

Readable books are now in the game. You just might not have found any yet :winky:

And welcome to the forums @Shyassasain ^_^

• 4 years later...
On 6/3/2016 at 9:50 PM, vancopower said:

How about your shelter gets damaged from the blizzards and you have to repair it with wood and wolf or rabbit skins? that would make much sense. also sometimes there could be heavy blizzards or tornadoes crushing heavy objects in to your shelter and destroying the roof thus you'll have to rebuild the whole thing. But as a bonus you'll get random stuff in your back yard like cars shelves things you can harvest, as a consolation prize for having to rebuild your shelter. What do you think of this idea?

i talked about something like that i one of the topics i created it is called: mix or ideas/brainstorming. if you want to see something like that you should go there and share you thaughts. it is one of the last topics in the list :)

• 1 month later...

My hobby is to read books mostly related to psychology, spirituality, self awareness, emotional intelligence eq and life coaching. I think these topics are not too much covered in our life and despite they are very important for our lives. Mental health is an integral part which is ignored and become a taboo and can be cured by life coaches and psychiatrists like other physical diseases.

On 6/3/2016 at 2:00 PM, Axtos said:

(no i don't need 10 wolfskin coats).

Well you can craft 10 wolfskin coats and ESC-cancel when the coat is 99% finished.  That way when your current one takes damage, just finish that last 1% and boom, a 100% wolfskin coat ready to go. Harvest the damaged one for parts, and replace the pre-crafted coat when you have spare time like during blizzards.

• Upvote 1

I am quite confused. This topic is 4 years old? 

Not to say the discussion is not relevant but I dont think the OP is on the forums anymore.

(that said, I like the idea of the 99% wolf coats. I dont usually craft a wolf coat to begin with or even bother with grabbing the wolf skins as they basically have no real use for me in my games, but this can easily be applied to other pieces of clothing. Thanks!)

8 hours ago, Mroz4k said:

Not to say the discussion is not relevant but I dont think the OP is on the forums anymore.

Well This shows that we are still interested in the hobby idea. I love the game dont starve, you always have something to do until you die. i Think that the mental side of the game is one of the biggest reasons for that. I dont say that The long dark should have a mental health system but sometimes we should have to take care of our character more than drinking water eating and heating up.