i need a hobby. :-)

Axtos

I have 100kg Wolf meat and my snare's support me with 2-3kg rabbit meat per day. I have time. To much time.

I wish i could carve wood. Or Ice sculptures? Maybee a snowman? I need anyone in this game "to do". Anyone thats make sense (no i don't need 10 wolfskin coats).

Mhmm... with 500 parts of coal i could lay a picture on the lake?

• Upvote 9
  • Like 1

How about your shelter gets damaged from the blizzards and you have to repair it with wood and wolf or rabbit skins? that would make much sense. also sometimes there could be heavy blizzards or tornadoes crushing heavy objects in to your shelter and destroying the roof thus you'll have to rebuild the whole thing. But as a bonus you'll get random stuff in your back yard like cars shelves things you can harvest, as a consolation prize for having to rebuild your shelter. What do you think of this idea?

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, Wastelander said:

How about wood carving? 'Spend' a random piece of wood and some durability of your knife to carve a Fluffy-miniature. Uses up time and calories and the aforementioned wood and knife condition. When NPCs are added it could even be a barter good.

Yes and you can pick up wood carving knowledge from a book in one of the houses.

• Upvote 4

• 1 month later...

I, for one, would be totally okay if they wanted to give us a few mini games to play. Just to pass the time, when your stats are totally full and you're not tired, or if you're waiting for a blizzard to pass. If you find a deck of cards, it could have its own game menu where you can play games in real time to kill game time. Anything like board games, or puzzles of all kinds, all of this type of distraction and games and boredom-killing fun that can be used when we have downtime, so there is less time sleeping or using the pass time button (simply for lack of anything better to do).

Edited by iSUGGESTthings
  • Upvote 6
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, iSUGGESTthings said:

I, for one, would be totally okay if they wanted to give us a few mini games to play. Just to pass the time, when your stats are totally full and you're not tired, or if you're waiting for a blizzard to pass. If you find a deck of cards, it could have its own game menu where you can play games in real time to kill game time. Anything like board games, or puzzles of all kinds, all of this type of distraction and games and boredom-killing fun that can be used when we have downtime, so there is less time sleeping or using the pass time button (simply for lack of anything better to do).

Find a deck of cards and play solitaire, when the real time cooking gets added it might be neat to move some cards around while your dear stew boils down. 

• Upvote 5
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, miah999 said:

Find a deck of cards and play solitaire, when the real time cooking gets added it might be neat to move some cards around while your dear stew boils down. 

That's a cool idea. I'd also be in the market for a harmonica!

• Upvote 3

I had a dream last night about finding the home of an artist in the game. Such a thing could provide a very unique opportunity for a mini game, should the developers be able to create one. An abandoned artist's studio with numerous canvases/paints/watercolors/etc. For example, in such a place, (and that would be the only place in the entire game where you would be able to do this) if we set up a canvas we could paint on it in a similar fashion to mspaint, or online drawing programs http://www.onemotion.com/flash/sketch-paint/ Say you can keep your finished painting, and carry it in your backpack. (Man the size vs. weight thing really should be addressed, but it's a game after all..) Burn it for warmth, or hang it on the wall of your home base. :3

Again, just another piece of 'fun' to pass the time. Because at this point, boredom and ennui is more likely to kill me on a run than anything else. :D

• Upvote 6

Art is definitely a good idea! Let me elaborate here for a bit - the oldest signs of human sentience are tools and cave paintings. The latter came to existence partly for spiritual reasons, and partly because the human brain is pretty much hyperactive compared to the rest of the animal kingdom. We always need something to occupy us with.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, continuity said:

I'd rather have survival be made more challenging, you should never, ever have downtime to waste in a survival game. if you do then the balance is off. 

Um, I have to differ, I've spent a lot of time in the wilderness, there's not a lot to do to just survive. It's not like there's a place you have to go in TLD (traveling takes more work), so the surviving part is not hard. That's how it is in the woods, that's why you bring cards, light weight, and lots of uses.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, miah999 said:

Um, I have to differ, I've spent a lot of time in the wilderness, there's not a lot to do to just survive. It's not like there's a place you have to go in TLD (traveling takes more work), so the surviving part is not hard. That's how it is in the woods, that's why you bring cards, light weight, and lots of uses.

I'm sure you're right, but this isn't a hike in the wilderness, its a survival game. Good survival games keep you on your toes, its a constant struggle to stay alive. otherwise what is the gameplay exactly?

12 minutes ago, continuity said:

I'm sure you're right, but this isn't a hike in the wilderness, its a survival game. Good survival games keep you on your toes, its a constant struggle to stay alive. otherwise what is the gameplay exactly?

This is a slow game. It's about surviving as long as you possibly can, and knowing that - however well prepared you are - you can only say you're safe for now.
The game depends on consistently making smart decisions, and the smart decision isn't always the exciting one. If you're playing the game to survive, there will be days when you have nothing to do, and you're just waiting until you need to go fishing again.

If you're looking for a game where you must spend every moment in a struggle to survive, then what you're looking for isn't TLD - or you're going to have to play in a very suboptimal way. There's nothing wrong with either of those, but the game simply wasn't designed in such a way as to occupy your every moment. Whether it's because you're making a long, dull trip or because you've got all the food you'll ever need, much of this game is going to rely on you using forward thinking to entertain yourself, rather than constant micromanaging.

• Upvote 4

17 minutes ago, continuity said:

Yep. If you ever watched survivorman most of the time he's either resting, foraging, or playing a harmonica. Now, I've never been in that situation myself but when out and about in the bush there are times when you're just sitting around. But, like @continuity said the Long Dark is a game. If we're going for full realism than there should be player activities to pass time or add more mechanically to the game to trim the downtime. Games are meant to be engaging either through play (stuff to do) or intellectually (stuff to experience - preferably through play).

• Upvote 5