Numerous CTD's since v.338 released

Had this same issue earlier with a save of about 400 days. Had a whole bunch of extinguished Brands strung along as navigation aides (hundreds of them), and when v347 came out the vast majority of them disappeared. After that, started getting "Too may heap sections" errors.

The error is caused by Mono (which Unity uses) failing to perform garbage collection correctly and overloading the Desktop Heap (where objects in memory using windows services go to die). There's some guidance/instructions on how to increase the Desktop Heap size here, but this did not fix the problem for me and involves screwing around with your registry (i.e. DON'T do this unless you know exactly what you're doing).

The good news is that starting a new file seemed to get rid of the problem, but the old save had to be taken out back and put out of its misery. So as a final resort,  I'd suggest trying a new Sandbox if you haven't already. It worked for me.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Vilespectre - Thanks for posting those instructions. Just as a note, these steps are not something we will provide support for. As noted the process can be dangerous and shouldn't be done unless you are sure you know what you're doing. As always, make backups before doing anything.  

The unfortunate part about many of these crashes is that they are within Unity/Mono and we have little control over these aspects. We do report these issues to Unity and continue to search for versions that fix these crashes. The downside is with every different version comes with new issues. 

On 7/3/2016 at 5:50 AM, Vilespectre said:

Had this same issue earlier with a save of about 400 days. Had a whole bunch of extinguished Brands strung along as navigation aides (hundreds of them), and when v347 came out the vast majority of them disappeared. After that, started getting "Too may heap sections" errors.

The error is caused by Mono (which Unity uses) failing to perform garbage collection correctly and overloading the Desktop Heap (where objects in memory using windows services go to die). There's some guidance/instructions on how to increase the Desktop Heap size here, but this did not fix the problem for me and involves screwing around with your registry (i.e. DON'T do this unless you know exactly what you're doing).

The good news is that starting a new file seemed to get rid of the problem, but the old save had to be taken out back and put out of its misery. So as a final resort,  I'd suggest trying a new Sandbox if you haven't already. It worked for me.

Thanks for the tip and guidance.

Geez...400 days! Ouch.  I'm at close to 300 and I **really** don't want to restart my sandbox.  

@Support

One thing I've noticed is that the issue only occurs while I am in Pleasant Valley...so far. So I have been avoiding Pleasant Valley.

There's a discussion elsewhere in the PC/MAC support forum where it seems like an excessive number of burnt-out campfires (esp. overlapping ones) might be related to the problem. Do you perchance have a lot of campfires in Pleasant Valley? If so, are there a lot piled on top of each other? Just trying to help connect the dots here...

22 hours ago, Vilespectre said:

There's a discussion elsewhere in the PC/MAC support forum where it seems like an excessive number of burnt-out campfires (esp. overlapping ones) might be related to the problem. Do you perchance have a lot of campfires in Pleasant Valley? If so, are there a lot piled on top of each other? Just trying to help connect the dots here...

I probably got about 200 or more campfires scattered about Pleasant Valley.

I have a tendency to try to stack them on top of each other so they are not "littering the whole place."

Archived