Numerous CTD's since v.338 released

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, Support said:

Are you seeing stability issues with other games? Or have you changed your system configuration recently? These point to potentially an issue outside of the game. 

The first thing I would do is try reinstalling the game if you have not already. 

220 min in "Firewatch" with no crashes.
And after reinstalling The Long Dark this afternoon, still getting CTDs after soon after accessing car trunks.

It's not clear why this is happening yet, but the GC error you're seeing suggests it's potentially from the redists. Could I get you to go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\TheLongDark\_CommonRedist\vcredist and run the two installers you see there? If they are already installed run the repair option. 

I'm going to continue to investigate, but that's the next step to diagnose this issue. 

4 hours ago, Support said:

It's not clear why this is happening yet, but the GC error you're seeing suggests it's potentially from the redists. Could I get you to go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\TheLongDark\_CommonRedist\vcredist and run the two installers you see there? If they are already installed run the repair option. 

I'm going to continue to investigate, but that's the next step to diagnose this issue. 

C:\Steam\SteamApps\common\TheLongDark\_CommonRedist\vcredist contains two folders: 2010 and 2013.

Since I am using a 64-bit OS I'm going to assume I'm only supposed to run the two 64 bit executables, vcredist_x64.exe in the 2010 folder and vcredist_x64.exe in the 2013 folder. 
I'll do that now.

Edit:
Both completed successfully. Ran game for roughly 30 min before CTD. This is all on the desktop system; attached error report.

crash.dmp

error.log

output_log.txt

@RustIronCrowe

I get the "fatal error in GC" message the most and usually followed by the pop up window telling me that an error report was generated  and asking I submit it to the development team. 

The rest the time I get either the Microsoft Visual C++ runtime error or just "TLD.exe has stopped responding" ... I'm guessing about half-and-half.

For the sake of completeness I'll start taking snapshots of every error message and add them to this error report list. 

I should've been doing that from the start but in my desperate rush to get reports in I neglected to take screenshots of every single error message (Sometimes there are multiple messages) .

From December when I started playing TLD I had zero crashes ever. V338 releases then suddenly numerous CTDs.  

The odd thing is that the CTDs occur under the exact same circumstance on two completely different systems with completely different hardware. 

if it happens on diffrent hardware and diffrent OS, it seems that the issue is game related. On the other hand, this would mean that everybody would have the problem ... you got what i mean. So look for something specific like software / configuartions that are the same on both PCs, but usually differ on most PCs in version or even if are installed or not.

Let's not jump to conclusions or derail the thread please. We have what we need and are investigating this issue - Please don't take snapshots and add them. While the effort is appreciated it creates a level of noise that won't help solve the issue as they don't provide any more information. We have the info we need, for now. If we need anything else I will follow up.

Please install the redists from both folders. It will let you know if they are not supported. At this point I don't want to leave anything to chance. 

The other issue could be your save files (since they are shared via cloud now.) Could I get you to email them to me at support@hinterlandgames.com ? 

@Support

New development:
Cannot leave Pleasant Valley without CTD. Every time I try to leave PV to go to TWM....CTD immediately upon "leaving PV" message displaying.
Stopped trying after fourth crash. Last error report attached. 

Correction:
Up until this point interacting with any outdoor storage causes a CTD soon after (thought it was just cars, but it turns out to be any outdoor storage).

Other:
I haven't tested all other sandbox slots but the one that I did test does not have these problems so I am beginning to think that somehow this particular sandbox is corrupted...at 230 days survived :( 

crash.dmp

error.log

output_log.txt

1 minute ago, Wasteland Watcher said:

Other:
I haven't tested all other sandbox slots but the one that I did test does not have these problems so I am beginning to think that somehow this particular sandbox is corrupted...at 230 days survived :(

Ouch, that is a bummer. On the bright side, at least you may be able to play the game normally again...?

1 minute ago, cekivi said:

Ouch, that is a bummer. On the bright side, at least you may be able to play the game normally again...?

True... all I can do is "test" by playing another sandbox until my "real one" is fixed...or they proclaim it dead. I really hope it can be recovered though.

1 hour ago, Wasteland Watcher said:

True... all I can do is "test" by playing another sandbox until my "real one" is fixed...or they proclaim it dead. I really hope it can be recovered though.

Thanks for sending in all the log info and the most recent update on your game stability. We're looking at it and will follow up with you. 

1 hour ago, Patrick Carlson said:

Thanks for sending in all the log info and the most recent update on your game stability. We're looking at it and will follow up with you. 

Much appreciated Patrick. I'll continue playing this sandbox and comment on anything unusual. 

The Long Dark is so interesting that even with the issues I'm having, I can't stop ^_^

On 30/5/2016 at 5:47 AM, Wasteland Watcher said:

After reinstalling on desktop, played about 20 minutes before another crash where suddenly the screen froze but you hear the audio (wind, music).

This is what is happening to me too.

I'm going to attach the output_log file but please tell me if you need further informations, it's the first time I do this doing probably something wrong

output_log.txt

Hello and thanks for your reply.

I verified the cache after the second crash I suffered some days earlier, and repeated that after every other crash I encountered later.

I will do that once again, since I haven't made it since the last crash suffered last night.

I'll update you in case of both bad or good news.

Edit: do I need to delete some game folder before verifying the cache? For other games it helps building up new ones so to remove completely every possible issue.

Update:

I cleared the cache via Steam again and I haven't suffered any further crash so far.

I don't know if this might be bug-related but this corresponded after I moved from Pleasant Valley / Carter Hydro Dam maps to Mistery lake. But it might means nothing of course.

Thanks for your replies and your help.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got the same problem today, too many heap sections whatever they are, happened again after 5 mins ad nauseam. I messaged support but 2 of the three crash files and my dxdiag wouldn't attach. Then I googled it and found this thread, validated the steam install and ran the four files from the TLD folder as suggested above. After 20 minutes (longer than previously) another crash but without the heaps message. Perhaps it's the heaps that suggested this but I've been shaving bits off wolves and dumping them around the fishing huts in CH and also lighting 100+ fires to get my skills up. Is it possible I've broken the game by having too much stuff lying around outside in CH? Might try to get to ML to see if that helps, but after that new game? Just when I was getting good at stuff! I've been playing for a year now though and this is only the second major problem I've had, pretty good for early access and highly addictive, 736 hours of wolf bashing fun...

DxDiag.txt

error.log

output_log.txt

crash.dmp

Archived