HOTFIX: The Long Dark Sandbox Hotfixed to v.338 -- Crash, Lighting, and Gameplay Fixes

1 hour ago, Wasteland Watcher said:

Parasites:
Suggestion: is it possible to randomly have some wolves & bears to be infested with parasites and some not?
You wouldn't know until harvesting the meat.
If this was available in Voyageur that would be very exciting :crosseye:

A greater likelihood of parasite infection combined with a chance of an animal being parasite free would also be very interesting in Stalker. Predator hunting would then still be disincentivized in Stalker but still an option if you get desperate.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just played a couple hours with the new changes, so good!  The lighting transitions by time of day put a huge smile on my face. :D

I also didn't have trouble with parasites on Voyageur but I -- like a lot of people here on this forum -- am a planner and a thinker.  I enjoy digging into game mechanics, whereas a lot people prefer to just play and see how things work out.  (Can't blame em!  It's a game after all.)

Fishing lines... OK, you did it again.  Another huge smile on my face. :D

4 hours ago, Raphael van Lierop said:

Interesting to see how disappointed people are to see Parasites removed from Voyageur, considering how vehement/toxic the feedback was when we first implemented them!

Sometimes the minority are very loud. ;-)

I had no problems with parasites, added to the game IMO. I juggled my food consumption around, fished more, only ever got to 4% risk and don't recall getting sick. 

I don't get why people would complain. It adds another interesting dynamic to the game and really isn't that much of a risk under most circumstances I've encountered. I've been eating cooked wolf meat since parasites were added and have never gotten above a 6% risk. 

40 minutes ago, Skulk said:

I don't get why people would complain. It adds another interesting dynamic to the game and really isn't that much of a risk under most circumstances I've encountered. I've been eating cooked wolf meat since parasites were added and have never gotten above a 6% risk. 

The original implementation was +4% chance of parasites per piece of meat and it never went away. So, at best, every 25 pieces you ate (per game) you would always get parasites. Hence, a lot of complaining since it's not much of a chance if it's inevitable ^_^

Also, welcome to the forums @Skulk!

Hmmm, I see your point, but it's only inevitable if you eat a lot of predator meat. I'm at 62 days and have plenty of other options, though I still choose to eat wolf meat every now and then. But I guess it doesn't matter anymore since my game is on Voyageur!  

Thanks for the welcome! I've been meaning to join for a loooong time.

What is idea of only adding Parasites to different levels anyway? why limit lower levels? surely if you try to kill a wolf or bear in Pilgrim you either make the kill or die trying or get Parasites eating it?

I.E. if you think your a great hunter to kill a wolf or bear in Pilgrim you also deserve to get the parasite :) else stick to just hunting rabbits, dear and fish.

just a let you know post- the darkness in buildings issue, so far it looks awesome. playing PV. I can see things such as exit door etc.

But gamers may need to tweak brightness setting in your option to suit? maybe 0% not 35% which is what i set mine to previously.

brightness01.thumb.jpg.efef9ae3bc5c435ad

Brightness low 0 %

brightness_low.thumb.jpg.a8aa51e43d371ba

Brightness Max. 100 %

brightness_max.thumb.jpg.9d059795a206b8e

I very much like the variable indoor lighting, good job at that! :love:

But I have to add in all honesty I was a bit sad to see that you've decided against birch bark tea as a cure for parasites. I know that would have meant quite some additional work, but the community's feedback for it was overwhelmingly positive and I'm still convinced birch bark collection trips would benefit the gameplay as a nice additional activity.

Besides, I don't find it a good thing at all that many players (not me personally, but I get the impression from the forum comments it's 80%+) shun predator meat completely now and let all bear and wolf meat just rot away in the carcasses without a second thought. It's hard to explain, but I'm somehow sad about this - imo unnecessary - waste. (From this point of view I somehow welcome the removal of parasites from Voyageur, but it somehow feels like only the second best solution possible.)

A non-limited cure might make people less afraid of an infection outbreak and thus encourage them to take a small 1 or maybe 4% infection risk at least occasionally. So that eating predator meat becomes a conscious decision for them and not something they just avoid to do at all costs.

But well, it's your choice how you want parasites to work of course and I respect that. Maybe the system is going to changes again in the future, it's not like anything is set in stone necessarily. :normal:

12 hours ago, Raphael van Lierop said:

Interesting to see how disappointed people are to see Parasites removed from Voyageur, considering how vehement/toxic the feedback was when we first implemented them!

To be frank and to take the (apparently) minority opinion I've very happy that bear and wolf are back on the voyager menu.  Parasites were a game play aspect I never much cared for.

Another overreaction to legitimate complaints.

Brightness- There was an issue with color saturation darkening but it got confuted with players whining about having to actually use light sources.  Fixed both. Now light sources are minimized and game diminished. Great job hiding all that loot which is now in plain sight.

Parasites- Math.  Compounding risk happens automatically when a percentage chance is taken multiple times; you don't need to keep adding more percent to the calculation each time to make it happen.  But also came the new whining about losing access to predator meat instead of usual whining about how all their bear meat keeps rotting out from under them before they can eat it.  Formula fixed but also affliction minimized then grace grated.

Cabin Fever- Made sense just a really sudden onset cuz no oncoming symptoms or prediction.  Players who never even get affliction complain loudly because they don't understand what they are supposed to do to keep not getting it.  Pre-indicator added / Fever also removed from difficulty or onset delayed.

"FORWARD! Not backward. UPWARDS! Not forward. And always Twirling, TWIRLING, our way toward release." 

22 hours ago, Raphael van Lierop said:

Cekivi had the best answer I think :)

22 hours ago, cekivi said:

That's mainly because parasites have since been better balanced versus their original implementation thanks to the hard work of the dev team ^_^

And I agree, it is a nice mechanic. I'm on the boat of the birch bark tee as well. I think the two conceps together would add more to the game than removing the parasites from Voyager completely. 

Edit: Oh, and thanks for the update!!

23 hours ago, Raphael van Lierop said:

I'm actually quite happy to see them removed from the Voyageur mode.

Maybe it's an idea for the far future to make a 'custom mode' were you can tweak which features you do or don't want?
I don't know if you know Kerbal Space Program but they implemented a similar thing when the community got lots of players with completely different opinions about what to turn on or off.

Loving the new lighting. And the fishing line fix.

I'm fine with being able to gorge on bear and wolf in Voyageur, but I also didn't mind the risk of parasites. I kept eating it all long, just tried not to let my risk get above 12%---an arbitrary number, but it worked well enough as I never contracted the parasites until the day before the V.338 update.

What  has changed with v.339? I'm assuming very minor things as I've noticed nothing in the half hour I played it.

On 25.5.2016 at 10:39 PM, Raphael van Lierop said:

People are like that. I personally accepted the parasites as a game mechanism and saw no reason to complain, only they felt slightly off even to me. Why? Well, one thing is the parasites (which I presume will be worms) are pretty revolting. I would avoid them at all costs in a survival situation by making sure I thoroughly cook any meat that might be infected. However, that possibility does not exist in the game. We can cook wolf/bear meat, but we cannot remove the risk by doing so. I understand that some players are averse to risk and rather let wolf/bear meat spoil than run a risk of getting parasites, however small. Also the fact that the thought of getting worms is slightly revolting may make players behave irrationally about them and go to lengths in order to avoid them instead of making themselves familiar with the treatment. Now if we had a different cooking mechanism where we could make mistakes (by not letting water get to the boiling point or choosing exactly for how long we cook things), that would be OK. But we only have the options of cooking or not cooking meat. The second thing that irritates me slightly is that to my understanding removing worms requires a special treatment and not antibiotics. Antibiotics are for use against bacterial infections, not parasites, at least according to what I know. So the whole thing feels slightly - and I mean only slightly - off. Other players may feel this in a stronger way, and then of course this may be paired with some peoples' unwillingness to accept changes in general or experiencing their exploits being taken away.

On 5/25/2016 at 5:07 PM, Wasteland Watcher said:

Parasites:
I always play Voyageur and did not mind at all the added challenge of parasites from predator meat.

Suggestion: is it possible to randomly have some wolves & bears to be infested with parasites and some not?
You wouldn't know until harvesting the meat.
If this was available in Voyageur that would be very exciting :crosseye:

I didn't dislike parasites and I, too, play on Voyageur.  I only thought that there was a possibly for REALLY stiff penalties if you were unlucky (which I had been, contracting parasites at 4% risk).  The Birch Tea idea was great, I thought, because it wasn't a limited resource.

I might have also liked there being a chance to get parasites from some meat and not from others, though I'd say vote that you should find that out from actually eating it, not just harvesting it.

Maybe the difference between modes could have been the percentages or something, as opposed to just removing it.

I've got to say that I'm disappointed, not by the parasite thing, but by the lighting, I'm all for being able to see better indoors (especially in the daytime), but the way the "godrays" or light shafts come in the windows looks absolutely horrid. Before the Tireless Menace update, light shafts were soft, diffuse, and realistic looking. Now, they look like square-shaped laser beams coming through the windows. Look at this pic and tell me (honestly) which looks better. Both shots are the windows over the catwalk in Carter Hydro Dam, on a clear day, mid-afternoon.

BeforeAfter.jpg.8addd159f937ded509b40151c6bee759.jpg

3 minutes ago, tnbp said:

I didn't dislike parasites and I, too, play on Voyageur.  I only thought that there was a possibly for REALLY stiff penalties if you were unlucky (which I had been, contracting parasites at 4% risk).  The Birch Tea idea was great, I thought, because it wasn't a limited resource.

I might have also liked there being a chance to get parasites from some meat and not from others, though I'd say vote that you should find that out from actually eating it, not just harvesting it.

Maybe the difference between modes could have been the percentages or something, as opposed to just removing it.

Interesting ideas :) 

I don't know enough about trichinosis to make an educated comment on whether we would be able to see it with our bare eyes, but if we could, that would be ideal. 

On the other hand if that's not something we could see just by looking at it, then absolutely we should not know if the meat is parasitic until we've eaten it! 

And that alone would make me extremely cautious about eating that sort of meat. 

Anyhow, when it comes to games, the more realistic they are the better :)

Archived