Thoughts about how to make fire with primitive tools (examples)

foxpyt

Every piece of equipment which allows you to survive or to make your wilderness life easier needs

- know-how to make it and

- raw material found in the nature.

So to make fire you actually need (in this order):

1. a knife

2. a cord

3. a bow

4. wood-tools to make fire

So you need know-how to

- make a sharp blade e.g. from flint

- make a knife that the blade can be handled

- make a cord

- make a bow

- wood stick to make a fire together with a bow.

All this knowhow can be looked up in the internet but in the wilderness it is an asset.

Will this know-how also play its role in the gameplay?

This post confuses me.

Same here and to the OP, you don't NEED a Knife or a bow to light a fire. Once you have the "wood stick" you use the **rub hands together** running down the stick, then with quick hand movements you move your hands to the top again and do it all over. The trick is consistent speed.

Watch this and see how at 1.07 but the whole video is educational.

He uses a knife in the video, but I've made one using rock as sandpaper, and then river stone, thrown hard on harder rock (Granite) and sharp shards come off and you have a knife or axe head. So it isn't needed per se

I think @foxpyt is wondering if knowing how to do things in real life will benefit in game, though I am not entirely sure

Yes thats what I was thinking about. In fact I hope that the game will be as realistic as possible. But maybe I am wrong

Same here and to the OP, you don't NEED a Knife or a bow to light a fire. Once you have the "wood stick" you use the **rub hands together** running down the stick, then with quick hand movements you move your hands to the top again and do it all over. The trick is consistent speed.

Ok, did not know that. Wasn't aware that it is possible without a bow that easily.

Ice. You take it into your hands. Could be moulded into a lens, which will concentrate sunlight into fire. Hm?

I've tried it, no luck. You need a perfect combination of crystal clear ice, bright mid-day sun, and not dripping onto your kindling. :-)

@robdoar, just out of curiosity, would eyeglass lenses work? I use multifocals, so I suspect that would be a problem, but do any lenses work? My field kit includes a magnifying glass (and tweezers, for removing splinters) and I know that works. Me and my brother burned quite a bit of paper that way when we were kids.

If it's a strong prescription on a large frame, it can, but most glasses that people wear are small frame and under 3.00 power.

I carry a credit card size fresnel magnifier in my wallet, and a couple spares in my kits.

Aside for aiding in magnification (e.g. removing a splinter as you mentioned) they are fantastic at starting fires, and they are only as thick as a couple pieces of paper.

[bBvideo 560,340:tunvagel]

[/bBvideo]

I carry a credit card size fresnel magnifier in my wallet, and a couple spares in my kits.

Man! I've somehow gone through life without learning about fresnel lenses. After reading your post, I simply had to get a few, and they are among the best things ever!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived