Have an option for eating raw meats

stickman787

There have been many times when playing the game, where I meant to eat or drink something in my inventory, but accidentally take a nibble out of something raw I had just hunted/harvested. Though I quickly cancel the action, every time I do, gives me food poisoning. I'd like to see a "yes or no" option for raw meats. And maybe food that's in bad shape or "ruined". So nobody gets food poisoning by accident, which could cost them their life. 

1 hour ago, starfighter441 said:

While I can see not eating raw wolf or bear meat, a freshly caught fish, or freshly killed deer shouldn't give you automatic food poisoning.  Otherwise you'd never be able to eat sushi or steak tartar in real life.

Well, we're talking about wild game here, not animals raised in very carefully maintained conditions and loaded up with all sorts of medication half of which even experts have probably never heard of. As far as I know, Sushi is made from saltwater fish, guess there's less parasites there or the meat is carefully selected. The thing is, some parasites and diseases can probably be spotted by merely looking at the meat and probably smelling it, but at least for fish the game implies you just take the whole raw fish and eat it, with scales and all. Maybe filleting could at least help spot parasites?

2 hours ago, starfighter441 said:

While I can see not eating raw wolf or bear meat, a freshly caught fish, or freshly killed deer shouldn't give you automatic food poisoning.  Otherwise you'd never be able to eat sushi or steak tartar in real life.

As far as I know, eating raw meat or fish in the game does not automatically give you food poisoning. It just carries a risk.

It is important to note that humans are actually perfectly capable of eating meat raw in real life. In actual survival situations, you are actually "supposed to" eat certain animal parts raw, or as lightly-cooked as possible, in order to preserve nutrients.

The reason many people in real life get sick from raw meat isn't from pathogens, but from the body just rejecting an unfamiliar food. This is why, when you eat food from another culture, you will often get sick (from one or both ends : P). The food is perfectly fine, but the heavy amounts of spices, unfamiliar preparation, or whatever is "different" about the food basically makes your body go " WHAT THE F**K IS THAT?! POISON ABORT ABORT!" and. -ahem- remove the food from the system.

When you get used to eating the food, you can eat it with no issues.

Not to mention that lean muscle meat, with no fat and well-drained, as very few pathogens on/in it, and thusly, has very little chance of making you ill.

6 hours ago, Boston123 said:

The reason many people in real life get sick from raw meat isn't from pathogens, but from the body just rejecting an unfamiliar food. This is why, when you eat food from another culture, you will often get sick (from one or both ends : P). The food is perfectly fine, but the heavy amounts of spices, unfamiliar preparation, or whatever is "different" about the food basically makes your body go " WHAT THE F**K IS THAT?! POISON ABORT ABORT!" and. -ahem- remove the food from the system.

Hmm, I doubt that's the case. It's quite contrary to what I know about meat (read carcasses) and how quickly it spoils and under which conditions it will spoil. 

Yes, meat spoils slower in cold weather. However, the key to slowing down meat spoilage is removing the source of contamination. And that source of contamination comes from within the animal itself - i.e. its gut and respiratory tracts. That is why experienced hunters will field dress a carcass before they even tote it out of there because otherwise bacteria and bacterial toxins can contaminate the meat and cause it to spoil.

It's not the ambient temperature that matters. It's the core temperature of the carcass that matters.

For the purposes of the game, it's okay to have raw meat available to eat without much risk. But please be careful making statements like this that contradict what we know in real life. And be careful if you are getting this information off the Internet. So much of it is false, if not downright dangerous.

Most common causes of food borne illnesses

Why field dressing is important

On 15-5-2016 at 5:08 AM, stickman787 said:

I'd like to see a "yes or no" option for raw meats. And maybe food that's in bad shape or "ruined". So nobody gets food poisoning by accident, which could cost them their life. 

It happened to me a handful of times, but only because I wasn't paying attention to what I was doing. You pay, you learn.

As mentioned before, it would get pretty tedious if you would get a "Are you sure?"-menu every time you clicked on a dubious food item.

Also, it would become a handholding-device real quick, and not a very accurate one at that. 'Oh, I get the "Are you sure?"-sign, well better not try that!' And then it will either give off a lot of false flags, with consumables that could be eaten but are a bit dodgy, or people will get upset when they get sick without a 'warning'.

So all in all, I'd say you just have to pay better attention to what you're eating; which is a two-click action anyway: first you have to select the item, and then you have to select what to do with it, so that's two moments where you apparently failed to take notice at what you were selecting (namely raw meat).

Your negligence, your loss...

Archived