Discussion on future changes and my thoughts.

gandalffox

What do you fellow players think about my thoughts? Do you disagree? Please post, I'm looking for some good discussion :)

Sorry about all the '(on roadmaps)', just want to make sure you guys know I know its already a plan ^_^

First off, I want to start by saying I have had some of the best experiences of any-game playing TLD, and I want to thank Raphael and the creative team for that and for all of their continued efforts on developing this already excellent game.

This post is just about what I have felt and thought over my approx. past 4 months of gameplay, (whether already on the roadmap or not), and wanting to hear what others have to say, so here we go: 

I would like to talk about the 'hunter gatherer' vs the 'hibernate' lifestyle; In my opinion the hunter gatherer way of operating is great; you roam across the land looking for scraps of food to survive off and somewhere to sleep the night, constantly wary of wolves or the odd bear. There are I think a few possible developments to be made, such as the ability to find and setup tents, increased numbers of wildlife (more than whats on the roadmap, eagles?) and NPCs (I know its on the roadmap, but I just feel NPCs would be great and would add more character to the game, literally...). And, in desperate situations, to be able to gut a newly dead dear or other animal and crawl inside it for warmth. I have also felt for a long time that seasons would be amazing, growing food and getting ready for winter whilst in summer, however I am aware this has already been put on the roadmap so that is awesome! There also definitely needs to be an increased amount of possible items to be found; personally, I think a shotgun would be a good addition. 

However, second way, the hibernate lifestyle; is the one that I think needs most development; There should be more mechanics and gameplay to keep this kind of player on his toes. Meat should have to be stored correctly as to avoid maggots and rotting (adding realism as well as interest), and storms should be able to break in parts of your shelter (this would then further utilise the use of the rebuild mechanic on the roadmap). I also feel you should be able to sit on chairs and customise your shelter (this is kinda on the roadmap) more, I want to make clear I don't mean like a sims game, but just to be able to add more character and a sense of home to your chosen safehouse; being able to sit is a small thing but I do believe it would be magical, watching the fire as it crackles in front of you and then falling asleep. I am aware there have been additions that try to help with the repetitiveness of hibernating, such as cabin fever - but I believe cabin fever is more of an annoyance to the player and although keeping you on your toes it doesn't actually put much additional enjoyment into the game. 

So in summary these are some of the most pressing things that In my opinion are needed for the game: 

Increased variation for the hibernate lifestyle; 

More shelter customisation and the ability to sit on chairs. (on roadmap)

Meat curing and realistic storage.

Storms breaking in parts of your shelter. 

Other additions (aware most of this is already on the roadmap); 

Being able to gut dears and crawling inside them for warmth.  

Finding tents and setting them up. 

Seasons. 

Being able to grow plants in spring and summer. 

Increased numbers of wildlife. Eagles?

More items; shotgun? 

In terms of realism, I agree with the shotgun. However, a revolver is already on the roadmap, and the devs probably need their resources for other, more pressing issues and cool features you mentioned (I'm so stoked for seasons!). So, while I agree with it, despite me being against having a lot of weapons in the game, I think it's unlikely. On the other hand, with Hinterland you can never know what the glorious guys and gals have in store for us.

When seasons are introduced, I definitely want to see planting, I agree with that. Tents are also a cool idea. Mystery Lake is supposed to be a tourist area as far as I can tell, so they wouldn't be much out of place. I also agree on meat curing and preservation - maybe use a hatchet to cut some ice from a lake or river and store it in a container to reduce spoiling rated inside? Salt, maybe? A smokehouse? Unfortunately, I'm a city kid, so I don't know much about that.

19 hours ago, Wastelander said:

In terms of realism, I agree with the shotgun. However, a revolver is already on the roadmap, and the devs probably need their resources for other, more pressing issues and cool features you mentioned (I'm so stoked for seasons!). So, while I agree with it, despite me being against having a lot of weapons in the game, I think it's unlikely. On the other hand, with Hinterland you can never know what the glorious guys and gals have in store for us.

When seasons are introduced, I definitely want to see planting, I agree with that. Tents are also a cool idea. Mystery Lake is supposed to be a tourist area as far as I can tell, so they wouldn't be much out of place. I also agree on meat curing and preservation - maybe use a hatchet to cut some ice from a lake or river and store it in a container to reduce spoiling rated inside? Salt, maybe? A smokehouse? Unfortunately, I'm a city kid, so I don't know much about that.

I agree they probably won't focus on guns too much, and I am glad because I don't want it to become anything like an fps... However as you said I think a shotgun would be nice, stoked for the other features coming up though!

Archived