Count me as mixed feelings on the new sleep

KD7BCH

I really like the new sleep only when tired mechanic and I like the ability to pass time, while conditions are in the white you recharge slowly as well. I do not like the amount of overall fatigue level my character now seems to have. It seems that the bar is while not physically shorter represents a smaller amount of distance that can be traveled or energy exhausted than before but only marginally so, maybe 15%. It also seems that at times I return from a day where I started late or started early and find myself in need of an afternoon nap or unable to sleep while it is dark.

I know the balance against hibernation is a big step in the right direction but I think it might have been too big a step. So while this is complex feedback here is what I like.

I like that I can recover condition actively managing my conditions to keep them in the while.

I like that I sometimes need to take a nap in the afternoon.

I like that I can't sleep 12 hours all of the time. 

I dislike that I cannot ever sleep 12 hours anymore.

I dislike that when resting it adds to fatigue though it should. 

I would like to see a bit of tuning. Maybe require a little bit more sleep to fully recover from complete exhaustion. Maybe 12 hours?

I primarily play on voyager but I personally don't see a need to vary this mechanic much across difficulties. 

I've written a PM to Raphael regarding the user feedback posted here on the forums about the new sleeping mechanics (and why these trouble especially Pilgrim and Voyageur players) a few days ago and he responded that they'll have a look at the mechanics and adapt them if that appears to be necessary.

So keep your fingers crossed, things may change! :winky:

On the flip side, as someone who can have a very active day and still only sleep about 6.5 to 7 hours, needing to sleep 8 to 9 hours in game was driving me nuts for a while. It still does, but once I understood that the game was about managing a few simple mechanics then I could at least accept it.

So personally, I think a norm of 8 to 9 hours to recover from being near exhausted is fine. Maybe there's a level to exhaustion as well, instead of it just degrading condition and you have to build the exhaustion bar back up before you start recovering your normal stamina. (or whatever the tiredness bar is actually called. I consider it stamina/endurance)

I will also add my vote to disliking the sitting around passing time should reduce stamina. I would think it would remain as is or even increase at a greatly reduced rate.

The part of sleep mechanic I would like to see balanced is when your condition is low I think you should be able to sleep more than 4 or 5 hours.  Maybe if they set it so that if your condition is lower than say 50% you could still sleep?  That's the other weird thing - I've been tracking the hours - the only time I've slept longer 5 hours has been when I've either worked myself to complete exhaustion or I had a specific condition like the time I had two sprains - the game let me sleep 9 hours then.  And since you're getting tired so much quicker now its setting up this odd cycle of sleep for 4 or 5 hours, do something for a few hours, sleep some more, etc.  I went from fully rested to completely exhausted just crafting for 8 hours (2 four hour stretches because you have to hydrate people :D).  I do like that you seem to regain some condition while you're idle though, that was a good addition and being able to pass time is good too, because it means I'm not wasting fuel making water just to move the game forward.  

I'm disagree that converting fuel into water is ever really a waste. It is always beneficial to do that than to sit idle. This is because one option creates resources while the other does not. While you still use fuel you have the option of using a truly renewable fuel source in sticks of which there are an unlimited supply. Starting a fire can be done with with the magnifying glass which is also truly limitless, unless they changes that. Once they create primitive firemaking and the firebow, then again it will be unlimited. 

On 7.5.2016 at 4:05 AM, SteelFire said:

I will also add my vote to disliking the sitting around passing time should reduce stamina. I would think it would remain as is or even increase at a greatly reduced rate.

I thought so too at first. But then I realized that you may get into a situation where you are not tired, have low condition (in other words: need healing) and can't go out to exhaust yourself (maybe condition too low to survive a wolf encounter). In that kind of situation you can now rest and raise your fatigue level until you can sleep and heal. Otherwise you would have to do something crazy like run around inside or craft things you would otherwise not craft just to raise your fatigue.

1 minute ago, Hotzn said:

I thought so too at first. But then I realized that you may get into a situation where you are not tired, have low condition (in other words: need healing) and can't go out to exhaust yourself (maybe condition too low to survive a wolf encounter). In that kind of situation you can now rest and raise your fatigue level until you can sleep and heal. Otherwise you would have to do something crazy like run around inside or craft things you would otherwise not craft just to raise your fatigue.

Understood. I do this myself quite frequently. Wake up fully rested w/ 4 hours of darkness left, don't need to craft anything... pass time for 2 hours, then sleep another 2 hours. That just really doesn't feel right or logical though. I agree, it serves a purpose and fills a need... but wouldn't it just make more sense if we could pass time for that 4 hours without getting fatigued or at a greatly reduced rate, because we're just sitting around doing nothing.

Archived