Timberwolf Mountain discussion. Possible spoilers

My preferred route up and down from the summit requires the rope that's up in the cave below the summit, and for just slightly quicker, a second rope.

After coming off the summit by the fixed rope, bear to the left (once off the rope and facing away from it) and follow that around, past the pass-thru cave, to the cliff. There's a fixed rope you can climb down. From there, if you went right, you'd head down to a river and waterfall, but if you go straight/slightly left you'll come to another cliff and rope position. This is where you need the rope from the cave. Install that rope and you come down near a river and cargo container. Again, you're going to head to your leftish, past the container and almost parallel to the river until it turns away. At that point there's an engine you should see, which is near the other pass-thru cave. Keep going past the engine, bearing left and there will be an ice shelf path up and over, and once you get all the way over you'll bear right along the cliff to another fixed rope that will drop you down. Hang a right off that rope and you'll cross a rise right by the far side of Crystal Lake from the Mountaineer's Hut.

If you bring up a second rope at some point, there's a cliff just past the engine you can install that rope. If you put the second rope up by the engine, you'll bear left after dropping down and come to that same, last rope by the lake. This is only slightly shorter, since it drops down and is then relatively flat versus the path up and over.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Wasteland Watcher said:

It makes sense that carrying 60 kg wouldn't work. I'm not exactly sure how much it is but I think around 45 kg is the max. After that you just can't move. I'll probably just carry 35 kg of stuff each trip. 

So...I made it back to Crystal Lake after that rough slide down the mountain. On my way back, got lost and stayed overnight on Deer Clearing (thinking I was somewhere much closer to the lake). Got attacked by two wolves, one of which I shot. I left them to rot. Didn't harvest a thing. I was at 27% condition when I got back to the Mountaineer's Cabin. Pretty rough trip :P 

Since it's all fresh in my mind I'm thinking of setting this sandbox aside (as a backup in case my "main" sandbox gets erased again) and bring my "main" character to TWM now. 
Since I've got all the fur clothes and bearskin bedroll I think it won't be so bad ;) 

From TWM I'll head to PV, then back to ML to cut up all the metal I can find and bring to to CH, where I'll saw down all the metal I find there, then finally head to DP where I'll forge as many hatchets and knives as I can with all the metal from all the maps. Then carry them all back to...probably Mystery Lake, where I can live happily ever after:geek:

Sounds like you probably missed a rope on the way down. If you angle yourself right you'll come out exactly to a rope above crystal lake.

12 hours ago, SteelFire said:

My preferred route up and down from the summit requires the rope that's up in the cave below the summit, and for just slightly quicker, a second rope.

Hidden Content

Thanks for the guide, I'll use that when I reach TWM again :)
Now I'm back in my main playthru again going through PV finding my way to TWM

6 hours ago, cekivi said:

Sounds like you probably missed a rope on the way down. If you angle yourself right you'll come out exactly to a rope above crystal lake.

Yea...I kind of went straight down and then slightly left. 

12 hours ago, Wasteland Watcher said:

I will definitely veer to the right next time -- thanks! :) When you descend the mountain, do you always "slide down" it? 

The first time it was dark and I couldn't tell where I was going. The best description would be "controlled falling" :silly:

For my second attempt I did switchbacks down the snowy slopes to try and minimize running and avoid sprained ankles. Crouching would probably help but I found I didn't need it.

I've got a video of taking the route actually. Once I get it uploaded I'll post a link.

On May 10, 2016 at 9:55 AM, cekivi said:

On May 10, 2016 at 9:55 AM, cekivi said:

I'll be looking forward to checking out that vid once you post it:)

So...your honest opinion: for an "old" character that you preferred stay alive,  would you take that fast "slide" all the way down the mountain, or would you take the longer "less dangerous" route? 

I'd probably take the safe route :)

However, the slide wasn't as bad as I thought once I actually found it. I think I need to experiment some more. If I can safely get to the ground a few more times without any serious injuries (I've only tried the fast slide twice) I may change my mind :geek:

6 hours ago, cekivi said:

However, the slide wasn't as bad as I thought once I actually found it. I think I need to experiment some more. If I can safely get to the ground a few more times without any serious injuries (I've only tried the fast slide twice) I may change my mind :geek:

I'm always taking this route and I usually don't even sprain an ankle. Never lost any condition as far as I remember. If you know the route and are a bit careful while crossing the few rock cliffs (I always do that in a zigzag course), the path is perfectly safe.:winky:

8 hours ago, cekivi said:

I'd probably take the safe route :)

2 hours ago, Scyzara said:

I'm always taking this route and I usually don't even sprain an ankle. Never lost any condition as far as I remember. If you know the route and are a bit careful while crossing the few rock cliffs (I always do that in a zigzag course), the path is perfectly safe.:winky:

Since you both think that the slide is fairly safe I'll probably give it a few more practice runs with my "test" guy before sliding down with my main character.  It would suck to die after 200+ days because of a mistake like falling off a cliff :P 

6 minutes ago, Wasteland Watcher said:

Since you both think that the slide is fairly safe I'll probably give it a few more practice runs with my "test" guy before sliding down with my main character.

That's probably a good idea! Practice makes perfect. :normal:

Good luck on your trips to the summit and back.  My last trip during the challenge didn't go too well.  I was doing fine, got to the summit with 3 days remaining, gathered all I needed and took the trip down the ropes, to the shortcut rope, then started down the stream.  About half way, a bear appeared out of nowhere around a corner, so I lit a flare and kept it at bay, while walking backwards.  It would charge, I'd brandish the flare, and it would back up, then just slowly follow me.  I was going to make it, until.... I heard a growl from behind me.  A freakin wolf of course.  I had the bear in front of me and the wolf behind me and needless to say, I didn't make it.  The bear charged, I waved the flare, turned around and the wolf was at my throat.  I fought it off, then the bear took it's turn, and all went dark.... 

I was fairly angry to say the least...

4 hours ago, Wasteland Watcher said:

Hey what program do you use for recording? Just curious :)

I know the question wasn't pointed at me but I can very much recommend "PlayClaw" for recording on PC. I record all my videos in full HD with it without any FPS drops (other than Fraps), it can stream to twitch for a 5$ upgrade and it's very budget friendly with a cost of $39, I believe it's one of the best recording software out there:
http://www.playclaw.com/order.php

Have a look at any of my TLD videos for quality check: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdCk7CWNl_cBzt7r0jtumTzHnqi56e9Xt

Yes I had the payed version of fraps too but the framerate drops in Diablo 3 were horrible. I switched to PlayClaw then and never looked back, the only game where unfortunately I noticed some drops too was Dark Souls 1 on PC but that's most likely because DS1 is the most crappy PC port I've ever seen.

13 hours ago, cekivi said:

Yikes! That's a bad bit of luck. The only thing that could have saved you was the flare gun. Shooting it at the bear is guaranteed to make it run off.

I really wish I would have thought of this, but seeing as it was the first time I ever possessed the flare gun, the thought never even crossed my mind.  I will remember in the future, for sure...  thanks.

4 hours ago, the_watdabney said:

I really wish I would have thought of this, but seeing as it was the first time I ever possessed the flare gun, the thought never even crossed my mind.  I will remember in the future, for sure...  thanks.

You're welcome :big_smile:

Just remember to load the flare gun though! I ran into a bear on the way to Desolation Point during the hopeless rescue challenge. I pull out the flare gun, aim, FIRE! - click, click, click... :durbear:

Needless to say I would have bled out if I didn't have an emergency stim. Still managed to complete the challenge though albeit with only 2-3 hours to spare :silly:

Archived