What will the Seasons Bring?


Recommended Posts

all of this is IF we get a full year of the long dark, mind you. the only thing that has been mentioned on the road map is spring. but i would LOVE to see other seasons aswell. I'm all for the idea, and i really hope it happens :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As we all know, one of the roadmap goals is to have seasons in the sandbox. I for one think this is really cool and my most anticipated part of the roadmap. The questions is what would other seasons b

Q: What did the salmon say when he swam into a wall? A: Damn.

Pretty much everything was hit in the first post, I love the idea of seasons in this game. It's technically a survival game- not necessarily a winter survival game, just winter is simply the most diff

Adding seasons would definitely make for a VERY long Dark :winky:

I do wonder, however, how much of the landscape will change permanently upon the first melting period. I'd be very put off if ice fishing huts would respawn every winter. Same with the Riken, wouldn't it sink? How do we forge then? These are a few questions that I just came up with, although I am sure Hinterland will handle those like they do everything else - careful, refined and with quality and athmosphere in mind, so I am not too worried.

One thing I'd like to see is a small visual detail that could indicate the changing of the seasons, like predicting the weather by watching for the birds - migratory birds! Imagine you're sitting next to your campfire, worrying about your resources dwindling, calculating how much time you have left on this mortal plane and then you see the birds fly back from the south, smile internally, knowing you'll probably make it another year or so. The Long Dark is, for me, not only a game but also a kind of 'experience simulator', and visual cues like these would definitely help, and shouldn't be too hard to program (as far as I know, I was such a bad programmer in school, I remember my Hello World thingie bug)

Insects were already mentioned in the thread. I'd really love to see some bees, though. Find a jar, smoke out the bees maybe by lighting a fire underneath their hive and throwing leaves in it (maybe a button 'Make smoke'), collect honey in jar. Very calorie-dense food that literally never spoils - archeologists found 5000 year old honey in the pyramids and it was still edible. Honey has been gathered in the wild by humans for at least 8000 years with very primitive technology.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Along with the nettles (they're found in western US and imported into the eastern part) I'd like to promote dandelions as well. I'm sure they grow well up north as well as they do down here (where they are considered weeds, as are nettles). Not only are the leaves edible (raw or cooked) but the root, when roasted and ground, makes for an acceptable coffee substitute.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, hauteecolerider said:

Along with the nettles (they're found in western US and imported into the eastern part) I'd like to promote dandelions as well. I'm sure they grow well up north as well as they do down here (where they are considered weeds, as are nettles). Not only are the leaves edible (raw or cooked) but the root, when roasted and ground, makes for an acceptable coffee substitute.

Most definitely, and shame on myself for forgetting dandelions, since they grow like weeds here. I wonder about their caffeine content though. Still, it's a hot liquid with some taste, so at least it keeps us warm and might fill up the willpower meter. Does chestnut grow in Canada? Alongside birches (which I am unfortunately allergic to) they are the most abundant trees in my city, and their fruit is, contrary to popular opinion, edible. Might be hard to reach though, but in fall they just, well, fall (this bad pun was completely intended and I accept my punishment)

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Wastelander said:

Most definitely, and shame on myself for forgetting dandelions, since they grow like weeds here.

Same here! In fact, it did not occur to me that dandies would be a great addition to the game until they started cropping up in the lawns around here. 9_9

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ice fishing huts is definitely something that has to be dealt with in some manner. It would be cruel for us to lose them after that first winter; could be an interesting twist though. But yeah, magically respawning huts would be terrible.

The Riken won't be an issue, it's grounded. You'll need a different way to get out to it, probably, since I doubt the surrounding water will be shallow enough to wade through.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SteelFire said:

Ice fishing huts is definitely something that has to be dealt with in some manner. It would be cruel for us to lose them after that first winter; could be an interesting twist though. But yeah, magically respawning huts would be terrible.

The Riken won't be an issue, it's grounded. You'll need a different way to get out to it, probably, since I doubt the surrounding water will be shallow enough to wade through.

Oh, okay, I never noticed that. Seemed to me like it was at least kept in balance by the ice, gotta check that out. If it toppled, water would just stream right in it.

A workaround for the ice-fishing huts could be that they're actually on poles. Does that make sense? We don't have ice fishing where I am.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Wastelander said:

Oh, okay, I never noticed that. Seemed to me like it was at least kept in balance by the ice, gotta check that out. If it toppled, water would just stream right in it.

A workaround for the ice-fishing huts could be that they're actually on poles. Does that make sense? We don't have ice fishing where I am.

We had that discussion earlier. Ice fishing huts are typically on runners, like a sled, and designed to be pulled/towed on and off the ice. So, that would be the logical method in game as well.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SteelFire said:

We had that discussion earlier. Ice fishing huts are typically on runners, like a sled, and designed to be pulled/towed on and off the ice. So, that would be the logical method in game as well.

Oh, okay, sorry.

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Wastelander said:

Oh, okay, I never noticed that. Seemed to me like it was at least kept in balance by the ice, gotta check that out. If it toppled, water would just stream right in it.

A workaround for the ice-fishing huts could be that they're actually on poles. Does that make sense? We don't have ice fishing where I am.

Poles would get destroyed by the ice (it moves and shifts in the spring) over time unless they were really deep and very strong. Way too much work when you can just mount the hut on skis and drag it out.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now