Ways to deal with Not Being Tired Enough to Sleep

One unexpected side effect of the new sleep mechanic in Pilgrim is that I've been more active after sundown.

On ML, at least, the temperature stays comfortable for quite a few hours after sundown, unless there is a blizzard ongoing. Plenty enough time for me to head back to Trapper's Cabin from the Dam.

So after exploring the Ravine, dropping off my bedroll at the Dam, I stepped outside into the most lovely, soft, thick, silent snowfall. No wind. Just snow. Lots and lots of little snowflakes. Enough to obscure my sightlines. 

This was when I realized learning the lay of the land really helped. I made my way along the rail tracks past Derailment, to where the land on the right slopes down towards a valley that runs west. If the night was clear, I could have walked until I saw the gap for the Camp Office, then turned west (away) from it. It scared me at first, not being able to see my hand in front of my face, but I kept walking, feeling my way along the land mostly. 

I didn't run. I stopped often to look around and recognize certain rock shapes. I marveled at the peace I felt watching the snow come down. 5722520d9c6f8_QuietSnowfall.thumb.png.47

I wasn't cold. I had a full stomach, and had no need for water. My pack was heavy, but not too much so.

Then I looked up between the pines, and felt myself being lost in the sky.5722522566d59_AMillionFlakesAMillionIndi

Finally I made my way down the last slope towards Trapper's Cabin. Outside its door, I paused for one last look around. I almost didn't mind being alone, for I didn't feel lonely in that moment. 

Reluctantly I opened the door and went inside . . .

• 2 weeks later...

i find the cabin fever mechanic great, myself. when i cant sleep at night, i just use the 'pass time' option. but avoiding cabin fever, i spend most of my time outside just gathering firewood, sitting by the fire, writing in my journal. i've seen a lot of sunrises and sunsets, and spend many nights staring up at the stars (this game does the stars better than any i've seen)

it really lets you have a look around, take in the beauty of everything as the time slips away. this game is so beautiful its insane. most people i've shown this game to just dissed the simplistic art style, but its all part of the beauty and charm. i love it to bits

• 1 year later...
On 5/10/2016 at 9:54 PM, Tbone555 said:

i find the cabin fever mechanic great, myself. when i cant sleep at night, i just use the 'pass time' option. but avoiding cabin fever, i spend most of my time outside just gathering firewood, sitting by the fire, writing in my journal. i've seen a lot of sunrises and sunsets, and spend many nights staring up at the stars (this game does the stars better than any i've seen)

it really lets you have a look around, take in the beauty of everything as the time slips away. this game is so beautiful its insane. most people i've shown this game to just dissed the simplistic art style, but its all part of the beauty and charm. i love it to bits

I totaly agree with you ! What an amazing game :)

Archived