[v.327] passing time vs. fire duration remaining

polarnomad

Hello again Hinterland,

Found a minor bug when passing time next to a fire.  For example, the fire shows it has 1h 16min remaining.  I then pass time for 1 hour on my bedroll.  At which point the fire shows it has 45 min remaining.

I would have posted screenshots, but apparently when I press F10 it does not include the info about the item I hold the pointer over, so I just have 2 pretty shots of campfires.

I'll test it some more when I get a chance to play a little later today.

1 hour ago, Vhalkyrie said:

Well at least you have pretty campfire pictures to use as a cozy screensaver! :D 

Hi-res too! :silly:

But on a more serious note, I tested the discrepancy again.  I set up a camp fire in the hollow of a tree:

57223c92ab7b2_screen_(876911801)_b3f2aa5

Then I chose to pass time for 1 hour with my bed-roll:

57223cda8568a_screen_(876911801)_f1e386c

The result:

57223d193ce7f_screen_(876911801)_d2579e0

The discrepancy is still there, albeit less extreme than what I remembered from when I first noticed it.

I decided to try it out in the cave where I tested it earlier, but got attacked by two wolves in quick succession and didn't make it.  Will have to start up a new game and try again.

ITS A FEATURE!

When the ambient temperature changes, fire life may be extended.  This some odd game design mumbo-jumbo to try and make up for the fact that fires in real life don't work the same as they do in this game world. So instead as the air temp gets warmer or colder the fire gets longer or shorter.  But they skipped the "gets shorter" part 'cuz that would be confusing.9_9 

I've noticed the same while harvesting fresh carcasses (not frozen - I know that would be variable as they thaw). I downed a deer yesterday, immediately lit a fire next to it and checked how long it would be to harvest. Made sure fire would last a few minutes longer than the harvest time, when I was finished, still had significant time left on fire (pre-harvest time should have left me about 5 minutes; ended harvesting and fire still had 25-30 minutes or so left. Never noticed this pre-update.

So I tested this some more.  This time on a stove located outside, both while resting for an hour and then passing time for an hour:

57226c0571a99_screen_(3611772265)_ffaca0

I rested for 1 hour:

57226c3def061_screen_(3611772265)_e210cc

I passed time for another hour:

57226cc0474b5_screen_(3611772265)_e75e77

In both cases it is about 15 minutes off.  I suppose I could also test this indoors to see if it makes a difference, and then when passing time for 2, 3, 4 hours etc.  Might be interesting to see if being in a bedroll or an actual bed makes any difference.  But that will have to be for tomorrow.

Off to my real bed now. ^_^

Well, bug or feature, we should know eventually. I flagged this post for an admin followup.

Hopefully, even if it wasn't intended, this will be kept as a feature. It'd be nice to get more burning time from a campfire if it's really hot and the air is not that cold. In other words: it takes less wood to maintain a campfire if it only has to warm 5C versus 25C :) 

5 hours ago, cekivi said:

Well, bug or feature, we should know eventually. I flagged this post for an admin followup.

Hopefully, even if it wasn't intended, this will be kept as a feature. It'd be nice to get more burning time from a campfire if it's really hot and the air is not that cold. In other words: it takes less wood to maintain a campfire if it only has to warm 5C versus 25C :) 

Nice, will be good to know whether this is an intended mechanic or not.  Thanks for flagging.

EDIT: Although, if this is intended, then why is it not directly calculated into the displayed duration?

9 hours ago, polarnomad said:

EDIT: Although, if this is intended, then why is it not directly calculated into the displayed duration?

If it were, it would have to account for the future temperature changes in that calculation.  Then we could use it to predict the weather.

Archived