The Challenge - The Old Bear

Before reading this, please forgive my noob-ness. I have 200+ hrs in this game and still suck at it.

The Old Bear challenge is SOOOO HARD! OMG!

I have no idea where to go, or what to do! I don't have enough time to find a place to sleep so I don't die.

I've died, like, a million times! Okay, that is hyperbole, but still, this crap is HARD. I have no idea what I'm doing and 10% health is not enough to survive this encounter.

The real challenge? Die the 42nd time without weeping or throwing your controller.

I do love the challenge, don't get me wrong, I just have no idea how to survive past the initial 60 seconds. Can you? Are you suppose to die? Someone please help me!

7 minutes ago, PlotDeviceManager said:

Before reading this, please forgive my noob-ness. I have 200+ hrs in this game and still suck at it.

The Old Bear challenge is SOOOO HARD! OMG!

I have no idea where to go, or what to do! I don't have enough time to find a place to sleep so I don't die.

I've died, like, a million times! Okay, that is hyperbole, but still, this crap is HARD. I have no idea what I'm doing and 10% health is not enough to survive this encounter.

The real challenge? Die the 42nd time without weeping or throwing your controller.

I do love the challenge, don't get me wrong, I just have no idea how to survive past the initial 60 seconds. Can you? Are you suppose to die? Someone please help me!

When the bear wanders off the first time, take a good look around you. You might find that shelter is right near by... good luck!:durbear:

Calm down , fellow survivor. ;P the first thing you do: apply the bandage! Do so by hitting space bar, select the cross for injuries and apply it. when you´re patched up, slowly crawl to your right. There´s a cellar entrance! Go down there, loot all you can with a match lit and get some sleep! The next location is either the Draft Dodger´s Cabin, or straight to Pleasant Valley Farmhouse. Play the normal sandbox for a while to get to know you´re surroundings! Otherwise you´ll be lost.

I know exactly how you feel though, I´m on my third try and finally found the cave to Mystery Lake. We can do this ;P

I'll simply quote what I wrote in another thread yesterday:

It's unavoidable to be mauled by the bear and start the challenge with only 8% condition or so. No need to worry about that, it's working as intended. You got everything you need to save yourself in your inventory (and directly at your spawn point, respectively).

I'll use a spoiler tag for further tips.^^

Hide contents

Once you've bandaged yourself, you can also use your stimpak (accessible via spacebar like the bandage) to restore 15% condition immediately if that makes you feel more comfortable. It's not necessary, though. Look around a little, there's a cellar entrance right next to you. I'd very much suggest to crawl inside, loot everything and sleep for a few hours to restore your health to at least 50% before you move on. Preferably more, depending on your trust in your own abilities.

:winky:

Just don't give up and keep trying. Good luck! 

So, I found it! Yay! You are all so awesome for the help.

Thank you, again!

One thing tho . . . I used the bandaged, turned right headed toward the cellar, thinking "There it is! I'm safe. I'm an idiot, but I'm safe!"

AND THEN I WAS ATTACKED BY A WOLF. ONE STEP FROM THE DOOR.

Please, tell me that is a bug.

Okay, this is no lie, I just thought it worthy of reporting.

I made it to the basement for the first time, the game auto-failed me, with the Affliction Major Bruising popping up before my game restarted. I restarted the challenge, made it to the basement and everything was fine this second time.

Sorry for the multi-posts.

I've tried it twice, and I'm yet to see nightfall on the first day!

1st time I didn't see the basement, and just tried to put distance between me and the bear as fast as poss (seemed logical). Died of cold and exhaustion huddled against some lonely rockface, trying to keep my meagre fire alight with not enough sticks.

2nd attempt I took time to look around me after the initial first aid, and gathered resources, ate, repaired clothes and recovered a small amount of condition. Was preparing to spend the night in the basement recovering more fully, when I got jumped by a wolf and was killed on the spot.

It is hard. But that's what I'd want from the challenges, for sure. I don't even want to attempt the other one yet, because I don't know my around Timberwolf Mountain very well and I don't think I'd have a hope in hell!

Yeah, the first time I tried the challenge, Ka-Pow, dead in no time at all.  My second attempt, managed to find the basement, hit the stimpack for the first time. (kinda kewl,) and then I promptly fell to my death trying to take a short cut down the side of that hill.  Now, on my third attempt, I've have made it as far as the gas station, but now there's like 3 wolves hovering outside the door and that friggen bear keeps snorting in the back of my ear...  it's like one of those dreams where you can't run, 'cause it feels like something is pulling on you.

do have one question, the bear was right behind me when I ran straight into a wolf.  I punched the wolf bare handed to death right there on the spot?!?  didn't know that was possible, but in the process took quite a bit of damage, fortunately the bear didn't attack me as he certainly could have finished me off, was that lucky or was that by programming design?

Since I had yet to play the PV map before starting the bear challenge, things got exciting real fast.

1st Attempt: Jump out of chair when the bear starts mauling me. Finally calm down and do first aid, then try to get away from bear (completely ignoring basement entrance, because I had zero familiarity with this map). End up near the edge of a rockface with a nasty drop, go down anyways because a wolf started to approach. Somehow manage to get down without breaking anything, only to go stumbling off into the snow to die due to low condition and freezing temperatures.

2nd Attempt: Still too dense to notice the basement, after first aid I find a less steep path to lower ground, and even manage to spot a lone cabin, only to freeze to death with the cabin in sight.

3rd Attempt: This time the bear mauling takes away even more of my clothes! No shoes, no pants, and I think one other clothing item but I can't remember which. At this point, after first aid, I realize there's simply no way to wander the map with no shoes and 10% condition in freezing temperatures. Then I take a good look around me and realize, wow, I'm an idiot, I bet those basement doors can be opened, and sure enough, they did.

But I still didn't find shoes until I got to the farmhouse (and that was after checking draft dodger's cabin, crossroads buildings, and barn). All in all, it took me ten days to finally reach the Trapper's Cabin.

Good times! :bear:

Just finished this challenge today. Took 3 attempts. I will not re-attempt it to see if I can get consistent. Made it in 4 days not too bad. Think I could do this in 3. Seriously though one thing I did not like and I want to see improved. You have to kill the damn bear. In my challenge I made it to ML, was hoping I'd encounter the bear but I never did in ML. I'd really like this challenge to continue with the spawn it has but with the bear hounding you everywhere, it should hound you in the cave connecting PV & CH, and it should hound you in ravine connecting CH & ML. It should also hound you in ML. Maybe it does and I was just far ahead of it? 

Anyway would love to see the bear to be more of a stalker, where you could go for 10 min without seeing it and then boom over the hill it comes out of nowhere or from a distance. Should also have to recover the gun in ML and then kill the bear. That should be the victory condition. The game as it is only tests you to get there not to kill it. I think that needs to change!

1 hour ago, KD7BCH said:

Just finished this challenge today. Took 3 attempts. I will not re-attempt it to see if I can get consistent. Made it in 4 days not too bad. Think I could do this in 3. Seriously though one thing I did not like and I want to see improved. You have to kill the damn bear. In my challenge I made it to ML, was hoping I'd encounter the bear but I never did in ML. I'd really like this challenge to continue with the spawn it has but with the bear hounding you everywhere, it should hound you in the cave connecting PV & CH, and it should hound you in ravine connecting CH & ML. It should also hound you in ML. Maybe it does and I was just far ahead of it? 

Anyway would love to see the bear to be more of a stalker, where you could go for 10 min without seeing it and then boom over the hill it comes out of nowhere or from a distance. Should also have to recover the gun in ML and then kill the bear. That should be the victory condition. The game as it is only tests you to get there not to kill it. I think that needs to change!

As I understand it the Hunted Challenge is only Part One. Part Two will be coming, and this might give you the opportunity to kill the beast. 

Ahhh I see. Well and to update my story. So today I repeated. Got it down to 1 day and a few hours. This time the bear was with me in ML too. Crafty sucker. However still no gun. Have to create a completely separate scenario for me to shoot to make a film on the adventure. No fun making it to the Trappers without being able to take the bear!

Agreed it is hard.

1st Attempt: I missed the shelter and as the UI was changed, I had no clue in the world how to heal myself. I DIED

2nd Attempt: Found the basement. Only attacked twice on my way. Made it into the dam. Fluffy killed me... Not the bear

3rd Attempt: Got up from being attacked. Heard a growl. Just as I entered the shelter, I died. The wolf must of got me as I entered.

4th Attempt: Healed myself up in the basement. A blizzard came. Had no water, an energy bar and a flare gun. Blizzard did not let up (So stuff it). Was -40 degree Celsius. Headed towards the ledge I went down in attempt 2. Thought I heard a growl so I ran. Tripped down the ledge like a domino effect. Spraining everything 3 times. I DIED.

Will do attempt number 5 soon.

Archived