General V.321/V.325Hotfix Tireless Menace Feedback

KD7BCH

If there is already a general feedback on the update please point me to it. 

Really like the new nighttime darkness level. It is very grim out at nite now. Please update the control instruction scheme icon for torches to show how to extinguish them now. 

I have found the new UI/control scheme to be clunky on the PC. I have changed only 3 things to make it much more comfortable with how the previous UI worked. 

Changed Tab key to Spacebar key. This shows your Metrics. Since the new Metrics fade away on their own and you often just need a quick glimpse I use the big ass space bar to have this pop up.

Changed the I key to Tab key. This brings up the inventory. With the last version you'd have to either hit I directly which I never did or hit the tab key which would give you the menu to show your inventory. 

Last, I changed the new radial menu to the Z key. So from Tab key to Z key. I like to have this close to my left hand but out of the way. Plus since this is a new feature is helps to have a whole new key for my brain to know to search it. 

PRESTO, Now I all the sudden love all part of the UI and you will too!

I didn't have to make any changes to my PC key setup.

Basically TAB key gives you overall health stats, cold,thirst,tiredness etc.

Found by looking the new Radial main menu is now accessible by hitting the space bar. to easy.

This is copy-pasted from the post I put on the announcement forum.

Degradation overhaul- This is great. Degradation rates were a big problem, and now that matches don't degrade, it puts off the "matchless era".

Brands- I like this too. Torches were way too easy to get. This makes it so torches actually have value, but you can still bring fire indoors in the matchless era.

New menu- Personally, I don't like it. I see that it may be faster for some, but I don't want to have to use both my mouse and keyboard to select something. I think you should keep it in the game, but give us an option to not use it.

Cabin fever- A good idea, but from what I've heard, it needs some fine tuning. I think you should get it by staying inside for x days, not a ratio from x days inside to y days outside.

Intestinal parasites- Also needs some work. It would encourage eating other stuff than wolves and bears, but I think the infection risk should slowly decrease as you don't eat the meat.

New select sound- I don't like it. Bring the old one back.

No throwing flares- This was a bad idea. It severely devalues flares. Flares were really useful before for hunting, but now they're basically a torch. Please bring back the old mechanic.

I haven't seen the rest of the mechanics too well, so I'll probably edit this post.

If you really don't want to put in these changes, could you release the old version? It would really be nice.

My one big UI issue I already gave feedback on:

• Risk warnings (like parasites) should not mask acute afflictions that need immediate First Aid, like Food Poisoning or Burns.

Another impactful issue:

• Core condition gauges (warmth, rest, hunger. thirst) should be shown I'm on the food & drink tab of the inventory.  In the current implementation I saw my calories change AFTER I started eating something, but that's a bit "too little too late", info-wise.  All four of the core condition gauges inform my choice for what to eat or drink next.  I find myself continually closing the inventory to check the gauges, then reopening to eat or drink.  Repeat.

4 hours ago, Salty Crackers said:

No throwing flares- This was a bad idea. It severely devalues flares. Flares were really useful before for hunting, but now they're basically a torch. Please bring back the old mechanic.

AGREED. I have no reason to carry flares at this point, simply because of weight limits. I am better off with decoy meat.

What is going on with the weird nighttime bright silhouettes on snow cover and ice sicles. This is too bright even when the moon is fully out. Daytime light is almost perfect but nighttime still needs some tweaks. Overall nighttime darkness is a big step in the right direction. 

2 minutes ago, KD7BCH said:

What is going on with the weird nighttime bright silhouettes on snow cover and ice sicles. This is too bright even when the moon is fully out. Daytime light is almost perfect but nighttime still needs some tweaks. Overall nighttime darkness is a big step in the right direction. 

Do you mean the new rim lighting due to moonlight? If that's what we're talking about, we want players to be able to have a good chance to navigate during the night hours. Also, at least for me, it's beautiful. :)

Those are reflections of the moonlight on snow and icicles. Pretty close to reality, if you ask me. I've seen similar around here in the country (up in Minnesota too, when I lived there).

My only peeve with that is in the distance they seem a little too bright. Standing outside Trapper's Cabin, I can see the icicles inside that old barn across the bowl, and they look almost like Christmas lights. 

Otherwise, I love the new nighttime look. The darkness and the brilliant stars are awesome! I also love that the moon looks just shy of full (hence lopsided). 

I think we are talking about the same things. I don't disagree that navigation should be possible at nite. Much less so on moonless nites. If you have ever been outside in a forest at nite with no moon, starlight is impossible to navigate by in the forest. In the fog it is so ridiculously impossible that even with a flashlight as to be dangerous as you move father or nearer than you think without being able to recognize landmarks. 

Anyway the rim lighting needs to be toned down some yes. It looks massively artificial. Also it would be good if it could be matched to the color and tint of the moonlight. 

The blue light reflections on the snow are more realistic in my opinion. But I will get a screen shot of what i'm talking about of a video up.

Archived