Intestinal Parasites Treatment

Nilos

In the Tireless Menace update it is now possible to contract a parasitical infection from the meat of carnivores. However, nowhere does it say if this applies only to raw meat, so it may include cooked meat. In addition, antibiotics do not work against parasites, not in real life. How will the player treat a parasitical infection?

IRL you get parasites from herbivores too . . .

There are various ways to treat parasites, depending on which kind you have.

Most common are roundworms and tapeworms. Roundworms are susceptible to one kind of treatment, tapes to another. 

I look forward to seeing how this element develops . . .

The thing with TLD is that it doesn't seek to reflect reality. It doesn't need to in order to be great.
With this in mind they might just make a new plant to boil into tea as a cure for gut worms, or even just have antibiotics fix them. Game play wise there's nothing wrong with that, except for the risk of immersion loss, due to antibiotics not actually being effective against gut worms. People might be like "dafuq".
I'm also interested in seeing what gut worms actually do to the player. Will they cause them to lose calories faster?

13 minutes ago, Nilos said:

The thing with TLD is that it doesn't seek to reflect reality. It doesn't need to in order to be great.
With this in mind they might just make a new plant to boil into tea as a cure for gut worms, or even just have antibiotics fix them. Game play wise there's nothing wrong with that, except for the risk of immersion loss, due to antibiotics not actually being effective against gut worms. People might be like "dafuq".
I'm also interested in seeing what gut worms actually do to the player. Will they cause them to lose calories faster?

Right there that's a great excuse to make birch bark tea . . .

1 minute ago, hauteecolerider said:

Right there that's a great excuse to make birch bark tea . . .

It'd be interesting to see how they would get the player to gather bark. Would they receive an interact prompt with certain trees, or simply pick up bark off of the ground?

2 hours ago, Nilos said:

It'd be interesting to see how they would get the player to gather bark. Would they receive an interact prompt with certain trees, or simply pick up bark off of the ground?

You can already gather birch bark, there are plenty of places where it spawns on the ground (hint: there be birch trees there)

9 minutes ago, elloco999 said:

You can already gather birch bark, there are plenty of places where it spawns on the ground (hint: there be birch trees there)

Ah, I forgot about that. Thanks though, that answers my question.

I have the same question: Is intestinal parasite affliction just with raw meat, or also with cooked?  Properly cooked meat should kill parasites.  Trichinosis is a parasite that used to be common in pork meat, but is now very uncommon in domestically raised livestock.  Wild game meat, like bears, can still be infested with trichinosis, however, fully cooking it will kill it.  Is the raw meat "food poisoning" now replaced with "parasites"?  That would be ok.  I wouldn't be terribly happy if you can get parasites from cooked bear meat when all you have to do is cook it to well done.

It works with Coocked meat too...
but thats not the point... you can get parasites with meat coocked but not at 100%
Also, any kind of meat can give you parasites, fishes are the worst

A good idea should be implement % of coock in the meat
so you have 0% = raw meat
and 100% its a well coocked meat

a RNG could be used to contract parasites from meat with 99% or less of % of coocking
so if you have 0% of chances of contract parasites, and you eat meat with 80% of coocking
and the RNG hits on those 20%... you have 20% chances of contract parasites
if you dont contract parasites, your % of contract parasites grows
and then its easier contract parasites after that
BUT if RNG hits on the 80%
you dont contract parasites, and your % of contract parasites doesnt grow...

this sound more realistic, but im bad explaining... maybe you guys can get the idea jajaj

Personally, I'd prefer the parasite infection counter to decrease with time, as others have suggested. Simply put, if the chance of developing parasites is a flat 2% per piece of meat eating lots at once from the same animal probably increases my odds of infection. If it's been a few days and nothing's happened yet? And I've got a new, fresh animal to cook and eat? Yeah, the odds should decrease to reflect that.

Basically, infection chance should be by animal and meat condition not by cumulative addition.

I'm really confused by the 2% risk thing.  It seems silly to keep the red cross in my field of view if there's nothing I can do to treat the condition.  It's very misleading if I have an actual treatable injury but I'm so accustomed to seeing this permanent red cross that I don't bother to check the health screen.  At least with risk of hypothermia if you warm up it should go away.  So far nothing I've done has made this go away.  What's the point of the notification it if you can't treat it?  I've eaten nothing but fish and rabbits for two days and it's still there.  I'll be out of fish in a couple more days so I guess I'll see what happens when I start eating wolf again.  Maybe the only way to get it to go away is to actually get the parasite and treat it somehow? 

What i dont like about the new infection is that it takes so many doses to cure it. Like all the mushrooms will disappear from the map very quickly. And what about those people who dont like to go inside?

I get it you want to make the infection last for a long time but then perhaps make it so you can consume one dose per 3 day and then lower the amount of dose in total.

Also the red cross should show up when you are able to consume a dose and not all the time

6 hours ago, fearofspam said:

I'm really confused by the 2% risk thing.  It seems silly to keep the red cross in my field of view if there's nothing I can do to treat the condition.  It's very misleading if I have an actual treatable injury but I'm so accustomed to seeing this permanent red cross that I don't bother to check the health screen.  At least with risk of hypothermia if you warm up it should go away.  So far nothing I've done has made this go away.  What's the point of the notification it if you can't treat it?  I've eaten nothing but fish and rabbits for two days and it's still there.  I'll be out of fish in a couple more days so I guess I'll see what happens when I start eating wolf again.  Maybe the only way to get it to go away is to actually get the parasite and treat it somehow? 

It will never go away until treated

.  1 (one) piece of wolf/ bear meat consumed, and you are at risk of getting the parasites. That Red cross will stay there until 1 of 2 things happen

#1  your run ends via some accident or whatever, maybe u decide to end it.

#2  You eventually get the " worms " . Treat them using all your Non renewable Resources.  Then your healed.

Eat another piece of wolf/bear meat after successful treatment, RED cross comes back

IMO Penalty is to harsh giving the fact that you have to use Non renewable resources to get rid of it

On 4/22/2016 at 11:38 AM, cekivi said:

Hopefully this will be addressed. Currently, across several forums, the persistent red cross for a non actionable health event (parasite risk) is the #1 criticism of the new system.

This has been addressed.  I don't know how long I have to go without eating predator meat but not even a full day and my risk is gone.  Also, once you initially get at risk the message pops up in red but the red cross does not appear.  You are able to view the health screen though (normally you can't view it until your injured).  I really like this system now.  It does encourage me to eat a more varied diet without feeling like it's a lose/lose situation.  I haven't actually gotten the parasites yet so I don't know how the treatment works.  

All of this is in voyager.

32 minutes ago, fearofspam said:

This has been addressed.  I don't know how long I have to go without eating predator meat but not even a full day and my risk is gone.  Also, once you initially get at risk the message pops up in red but the red cross does not appear.  You are able to view the health screen though (normally you can't view it until your injured).  I really like this system now.  It does encourage me to eat a more varied diet without feeling like it's a lose/lose situation.  I haven't actually gotten the parasites yet so I don't know how the treatment works.  

All of this is in voyager.

@Scyzara has several posts on the parasites topic. From what I've seen (and experienced in game) it needs a little further tuning but I agree that it's a neat addition and seems to be working as intended :)

Archived