The Long Dark Sandbox Updated to v.321: "Tireless Menace"

Raphael van Lierop

• Hinterland
7 hours ago, Poochiehammer said:

I think I figured out what happened to me, and it was just a prefect storm of bad timing.  I was crafting a lot of arrows and fixing some clothing, a day or two straight.  Then I got food poisoning, then I was weak so didn't go gather wood, etc. which gave cabin fever... etc.  Strange timing more than a game problem.  I still do think the cabin fever is unnecessary, but it's not going to stop me from playing and it seems other folks like it, so...

I suspect the revised tuning will make it more interesting. Try not to think about Cabin Fever as something meant to modify player behaviour, but as yet another risk you need to assess. Similar to the decision to eat low-Condition food, or run down a steep slope, or try to grab one more hour of Rest outdoors, etc.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I just finished the bear challenge (The Hunted, Part One), and it was a lot of fun! Although I really underestimated how much the flare gun arcs the shot when fired, twice I fired right over the bear's head (the second time I did that it didn't end well for me, or my clothes). I started off playing it a bit too cautious, a force of habit from my long-term save file, but eventually loosened up and started taking more and more chances to try to stay ahead of the bear.

I don't like the bear!

You know how in movies girls raise their fists in front of them when they are scared of something? Like against their chest, right below their jaw? "Iiik"

That goddamn bear made me do it.

I hate myself.

(but love the updates, anyhow! Thanks for wolf AI fix, let's see if they still get hypnotized by a campfire fast-lit with fuel, allowing safe exit...)

Hi everyone,

just a quick feedback for this update...

Things I like (in no particular order):

• Footprints
  • Sound effects (wind, barefoot steps, UI) and music
  • New UI (including the radial menu)
  • Optimization (light shafts)
  • First person struggle effects
  • New frozen water textures

Some suggestions:

• Footsteps shape reflecting the actual footwear or barefoot (for instance if one is walking barefoot the footsteps will have a shape of barefoot)
  • Advanced graphics settings for less powerful machines and more precise control/tweaking (anti-aliasing, depth of field, texture quality, texture filtering, shadows, bloom and alike)

In all, I am very pleased with this update. Keep up the good work!

I am not happy with the update. I understand that you guys faced a difficult situation having to postpone the story mode by a half year or more, and decided to wrap up a quick update. So I am not bitter or anything. Just saying that the update is rather weak, and you probably know it yourself as it had to be assembled in a rush.

I can wait some months but have to shake my head when I see people give raving feedback for an update that is mostly just introduced a number of dubious features and a number of bugs. There are some useful things like the new textures, stimpacks and removing the exploit with torches. On the down side is cabin fever (no comment), resting feature (now players will have to spend endless hours in complete darkness clicking on "waste time" button - a very bad decision). On top there is the fact that I cant play the game any more because it now introduced a game breaking bug to my game (see thread [v.325] Reseting Interiors)

All in all I hope you understand. The unwanted features can be handkled, but I wish back the last version, simply because it allowed to me to play. So good luck guys, I'll be putting this aside and see what the next update brings.

Has any new location been added into the game? If not, this could be a bug. 

I'm sitting at 92% explored, trying to find the remaining locations. Found the "Rockfall" in CH and my stats went down instead of up (91%)

day 1.JPG

day 2.JPG

The updates are amazing.  The challenge modes give a narrative framework and purpose to the gameplay and is motivating me to play again.  The UI changes and graphical changes are excellent .  The music continues to amaze me and I wish I could increase the frequency of the music bumps.  Great work.

Having fell in love with The Long Dark and spending hours (days) wandering in sub-freezing temperatures, I kinda lost my way. It looks like I'm back on the active play list! Thanks for the update and can't wait for the full game release! Keep up the great work!

Holly molly I am in the midst of fighting through Dark Souls 3 that got release two weeks ago and thought I check if anything new is going on in TLD - I wasn't expecting this to say the least. The update seems to be the answer to all our prayers and wishes for fixing various issues that made sandbox play rather a challenge of patience than skill, nameley hibernation and all that comes with it. Now I am in trouble, I have to continue DS3 but I really really also want to try out this update. So much to play, so little time...

All I can say for now is a big Thank You Hinterland!

I never doubted that you will address the issues with too much loot and hibernation but I thought this will be fixed/make sense when story mode comes out. The update and especially the introduction of challenges proves once more how much you care about the community so again, thank you.

I will be back soon, now that I've read the update notes probably sooner than I planned :D

31 minutes ago, ChillPlayer said:

Holly molly I am in the midst of fighting through Dark Souls 3 that got release two weeks ago and thought I check if anything new is going on in TLD - I wasn't expecting this to say the least. The update seems to be the answer to all our prayers and wishes for fixing various issues that made sandbox play rather a challenge of patience than skill, nameley hibernation and all that comes with it. Now I am in trouble, I have to continue DS3 but I really really also want to try out this update. So much to play, so little time...

All I can say for now is a big Thank You Hinterland!

I never doubted that you will address the issues with too much loot and hibernation but I thought this will be fixed/make sense when story mode comes out. The update and especially the introduction of challenges proves once more how much you care about the community so again, thank you.

I will be back soon, now that I've read the update notes probably sooner than I planned :D

Well you need to check back more often bro. Should be similar, not same but similar update times to the sandbox as 2015 again per the roadmap. Hope you are enjoying DS3. When you come back to TLD you will be very happy to see that itemization quantities is about 1/4 to 1/3 of what it was, The wolf AI has dramatically improved with the introduction of more randomness and unpredictability, and hibernation method isn't a 1,000 day enabler anymore. 

It's kinda unfair that my two most beloved games get released/massively updated on the same time, can't they coordinate release dates with each other? :D

DS3 is awesome of course, I am enjoying it very much. I'm working on a series of boss fight videos and once that's done I look very much forward to re-learn how to survive in TLD ;)

The tried and true techniques of nomadic adventure and consolidate bases work with satellite bases even more important because carrying excess continues to be a detriment. Recovery is slower now but also two options for it instead of one. Recovery is also more complex. Hunting is still a challenge but the wolves are radically unpredictable. Still using the bow and arrow and getting a shot on them is best way to end them or using a piece of meat however they are more varied. I think they could even take it one step further making the wolves more random in regards to what they'll do with the decoy, whether or not they'll stay focused on the decoy or not. 

Probably the best part is the improved environment, the ice looks much more varied, much less gamey, the large open landscapes in PV look more realistic. The nighttime lighting overall is a big plus. They have some rim lighting which needs to be toned down but overall it is a great experience. 

You are not making it easier for me to finish DS3 hehe. As I said in my first reply it feels that TLD is finally becoming what I always hoped it will once be, reaching it's full potential as a true survival simulator. I am very curious to see how I will fare in the new sandbox and I look forward to experience all the new changes.

On April 20, 2016 at 6:25 AM, Poochiehammer said:

So I get food poisoning and need 10 hours of rest, but my guy won't sleep ask the way through. So I go outside but start to lose my new health meter. Back inside I go only to get cabin fever so I can't even pass time in bed. Really? This is better? If you are going to give me cabin fever then let me read one of those books I always burn, or maybe whittle some wood. Write a song? I don't play this game because it is real. I play it to pass time how I want. I now have cabin fever in the middle of the night and have to let hours of real time to pass. Wicked lame.

No, not speculation, this just happened moments ago. The other problem was that I had to rest during day, so wide awake at night. Made some arrows but health meter became low. I'm now healthy but required to stay outside. I don't think cabin fever adds anything to the game. Not the end of the world but it makes little sense that someone abandoned in a frozen post apocalyptic world gets tired of indoor shelter. 

Weird, none of this happens to me.

What did you do to trigger the wrath of a post-apocalyptic God? :P

19 minutes ago, Greenglades said:

On xbox one, the only loss of function we had is you can no longer light fires with a torch or flare. I do like the tenacity of the wolves now. They will come back right after the first attack, so don't  stay in place.

New patch today , it should be fix

On 4/26/2016 at 8:41 AM, ChillPlayer said:

You are not making it easier for me to finish DS3 hehe. As I said in my first reply it feels that TLD is finally becoming what I always hoped it will once be, reaching it's full potential as a true survival simulator. I am very curious to see how I will fare in the new sandbox and I look forward to experience all the new changes.

It is getting a lot closer to it and moving in the right direction. I'd say the game is more realistic and with each advancement on that path it improves the game. There is the question will they make water freeze and melting good water a thing which would make fires even more important and fire making skill without matches also important. They've already talked about improving the multi tasking with cooking and doing other things while you cook which would be pretty awesome too. 

Archived