The Long Dark Sandbox Updated to v.321: "Tireless Menace"

Raphael van Lierop

• Hinterland
1 minute ago, cekivi said:

Great to hear that the challenges are working out so well. I can't wait for the weekend when I can try them myself :)

Also, the teaser mystery is finally solved. I'm assuming the screenshot was of the bear in the hunted challenge. I wonder though: if you found a rifle could you hunt your hunter?

Yup, teaser was the special bear.

You can't kill this bear...yet.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I get food poisoning and need 10 hours of rest, but my guy won't sleep ask the way through. So I go outside but start to lose my new health meter. Back inside I go only to get cabin fever so I can't even pass time in bed. Really? This is better? If you are going to give me cabin fever then let me read one of those books I always burn, or maybe whittle some wood. Write a song? I don't play this game because it is real. I play it to pass time how I want. I now have cabin fever in the middle of the night and have to let hours of real time to pass. Wicked lame

• Hinterland
6 minutes ago, Poochiehammer said:

So I get food poisoning and need 10 hours of rest, but my guy won't sleep ask the way through. So I go outside but start to lose my new health meter. Back inside I go only to get cabin fever so I can't even pass time in bed. Really? This is better? If you are going to give me cabin fever then let me read one of those books I always burn, or maybe whittle some wood. Write a song? I don't play this game because it is real. I play it to pass time how I want. I now have cabin fever in the middle of the night and have to let hours of real time to pass. Wicked lame

Did this actually happen to you in the game? or are you speculating? Because I don't think what you describe here would actually happen, based on how the systems are tuned.

If you have an affliction that requires rest, you can Rest without concern for the limitations. You only have to worry about Cabin Fever if you spend a *significant* number of hours indoors.

So, this sounds like maybe complaints about mechanics based on reading the changelist, without actually having tested any of the new systems in the game? If so, please play first and then come back with your criticisms, supported by your experience and not what you think your experience might be.

2 hours ago, Raphael van Lierop said:

Rest System Overhaul

We’ve turned Rest into a true resource. You can now only Rest when you are tired, or have an affliction that requires it. We’ve added a “Pass Time” mechanic to the Rest interface, which allows you to advance the clock, without gaining the calorie-reducing and healing benefits of Rest. And finally, we’ve added a Cabin Fever affliction, to keep things interesting for our Hibernators. We feel that these changes will go a long way towards keeping the game more interesting for long-term players, add another layer of strategic decision-making and resource management around where and when you Rest, and increase the challenge for those who’ve embraced long-term hibernation techniques.

7 minutes ago, Poochiehammer said:

If you read the change list you'll see that resting when sick or injured is still in the game. The fix was to address the starvation-hibernation exploit in the game. Also, while I haven't had time to play the new update myself (darn day job), I very much doubt that Hinterlands would deliberately troll their player base by making it impossible rest to cure conditions without getting cabin fever. If that's how the mechanic works then hey, the game's in alpha! You can post a thread or poll to get it balanced correctly then :)

@Raphael van Lierop - can we get anymore info on decay. I'm cool with just seeing how fast certain items decay natuarlly, but i think it would be fair to give us an idea of how much storage vs not stored effects things. Specifically meat. Does storing outside "freezing" the meat help? If not can that be added or a smoking/jerky process ever be added? Thanks

• Hinterland
Just now, Amazombie said:

@Raphael van Lierop - can we get anymore info on decay. I'm cool with just seeing how fast certain items decay natuarlly, but i think it would be fair to give us an idea of how much storage vs not stored effects things. Specifically meat. Does storing outside "freezing" the meat help? If not can that be added or a smoking/jerky process ever be added? Thanks

Freezing meat behaves as you would expect it to. :)

41 minutes ago, cekivi said:

Great to hear that the challenges are working out so well. I can't wait for the weekend when I can try them myself :)

Also, the teaser mystery is finally solved. I'm assuming the screenshot was of the bear in the hunted challenge. I wonder though: if you found a rifle could you hunt your hunter?

Nope, the challenge (part one) ends as soon as you klick on the door and enter trapper's cabin. Guess killing the bear will happen in part two.:normal:

So I get food poisoning and need 10 hours of rest, but my guy won't sleep ask the way through. So I go outside but start to lose my new health meter. Back inside I go only to get cabin fever so I can't even pass time in bed. Really? This is better? If you are going to give me cabin fever then let me read one of those books I always burn, or maybe whittle some wood. Write a song? I don't play this game because it is real. I play it to pass time how I want. I now have cabin fever in the middle of the night and have to let hours of real time to pass. Wicked lame.

No, not speculation, this just happened moments ago. The other problem was that I had to rest during day, so wide awake at night. Made some arrows but health meter became low. I'm now healthy but required to stay outside. I don't think cabin fever adds anything to the game. Not the end of the world but it makes little sense that someone abandoned in a frozen post apocalyptic world gets tired of indoor shelter. 

Turned on my PC a few minutes ago and saw that steam was updating, then saw it was TLD, then read the news... woohoo!

I would type a lot more but I have to fire up two new saves and try out these challenge modes. Priorities!

49 minutes ago, Raphael van Lierop said:

Yup, teaser was the special bear.

You can't kill this bear...yet.

Maybe we can ask Anthony Hopkins for help in killing the bear. Or at least give us a pep talk about killing bears.

• Hinterland
2 minutes ago, TheRealNFK said:

Turned on my PC a few minutes ago and saw that steam was updating, then saw it was TLD, then read the news... woohoo!

I would type a lot more but I have to fire up two new saves and try out these challenge modes. Priorities!

Maybe we can ask Anthony Hopkins for help in killing the bear. Or at least give us a pep talk about killing bears.

Anything is better with Anthony Hopkins.

16 minutes ago, Poochiehammer said:

So I get food poisoning and need 10 hours of rest, but my guy won't sleep ask the way through. So I go outside but start to lose my new health meter. Back inside I go only to get cabin fever so I can't even pass time in bed. Really? This is better? If you are going to give me cabin fever then let me read one of those books I always burn, or maybe whittle some wood. Write a song? I don't play this game because it is real. I play it to pass time how I want. I now have cabin fever in the middle of the night and have to let hours of real time to pass. Wicked lame.

No, not speculation, this just happened moments ago. The other problem was that I had to rest during day, so wide awake at night. Made some arrows but health meter became low. I'm now healthy but required to stay outside. I don't think cabin fever adds anything to the game. Not the end of the world but it makes little sense that someone abandoned in a frozen post apocalyptic world gets tired of indoor shelter. 

I don't think the mechanic is working as intended then. You can either log this as a bug report (since it's something that's directly contrary to the stated goals of this update) or copy your problem to the alpha feedback. Either way, this definitely seems odd.

1 hour ago, cekivi said:

I made it through the challenge in 4 days and 9 hours, Found a rifle at the Farmhouse, no ammo there or at the radio hut

And to the devs, I spawned, was attacked, found shelter, got rested, realized where i was, and the route I would normally take to get to, well, where i wanted to go was "blocked", best I can describe it. Is this just on the challenge?

Maybe I need to try it again to make sure I was not just panicked

3 hours ago, Raphael van Lierop said:

* New! There is now a chance of contracting Intestinal Parasites from eating too much meat from carnivores (i.e. Wolves and Bears).

Fully cooked meat shouldn't give you parasites but raw or rare meat would in real life. Interesting. Hopefully it's treatable!

* New! Brands can now be taken from a burning fire (replacing Torches taken from fires; Torches are still craftable).

Solves that concern.

* Differentiated all light sources more clearly, by tuning burn times, Brandishing effectiveness, and item “cost”. This applies to Torches, Flares, Brands, and Lanterns.

Nice! Can you light fires with brands? that will be handy. Lots of neat fixes for complaints that solve a lot of issues at once. Did Inheritance of C# make it easier to create the new Brand item? I guess you could just clone it too.

* Flares are now Brandished and not thrown.
* AI will now ignore dropped Torches and Flares.

This solves a lot of complaints while still preserving the utility of these items. Sounds like you have to carry sticks and a torch to be safe and turn the tables on the Mr Wolf. Maybe the wolf also isn't going to just charge in either and leave himself open during the bait and trap. :o All lantern fuel is henceforth to be saved for torch making while brands appear to be the way to go for light sources. There is definitely a lot to think about and the timing for this Sandbox release couldn't have been better! The grasshoppers were getting jumpy!!

4 minutes ago, TSmith said:

And to the devs, I spawned, was attacked, found shelter, got rested, realized where i was, and the route I would normally take to get to, well, where i wanted to go was "blocked", best I can describe it.

He did say map changes adding climbing ropes etc. so the old maps could be out of date in spots it sounds like.

• Hinterland
23 minutes ago, Poochiehammer said:

If you have Food Poisoning, you should be able to Rest until it is healed. If not, this is a bug. The other issues you outline are actually just the way the game works, and with this update you may have to adapt and find new strategies.

You can "pass time" when you are awake, and yes of course it uses up resources, just like Sleep does, it's just that you got used to sleeping for hours and hours every day without every paying the "cost" for it, so now you have to be more careful about how you use it. 

It's possible that the Cabin Fever tuning will need some revision; we're waiting for more feedback before making a change (it's only been live for a few hours, remember). Currently, you need to spend quite a few continuous hours indoors out of Y hours total to be at risk of Cabin Fever, so as long as you spend a fair amount of time outdoors each day, you shold be fine. This seems fair.

• Hinterland
5 minutes ago, Pasquinel said:

How long does the chance of parasite infection last. I ate a piece of wolf meet and now I have a 2% chance of parasites but that has lasted 4 days now? Is there some sort of gestation period before we know if we have them or not? 

The chance accumulates with more instances (each time you eat Wolf or Bear). It doesn't go away until you contract it and treat it. 

Just had a quick play after the update (Xbox One) and I must say, it now looks even more stunning than before! Graphics have been seriously improved. The on screen text of the HUD seems a bit small awkward to read even on a 42" TV though. So far so good though.

And for the people already moaning, remember this is still in development and we're lucky enough to be part of that process. Just give constructive feedback to the devs or maybe don't play beta games.

Archived