Haul kills (or parts of kills) back home for dressing/butchering

Coffee

I've read before that people were unhappy with having to skin and butcher rabbit carcasses out in the cold, rather than just slinging it into the pack and doing it at home.

IMO it better fits the survivalist image to take the easy route where that's concerned, rather than harvesting a tiny carcass outdoors while you slowly die.

The same could be implemented for larger game- deer and wolves and even bears- where you could messily cut up a kill into chunks large enough to carry. Obviously if it's a small enough wolf or deer you could throw it over your shoulder and hump back to your base. 

When selecting the option to cut up a kill it could auto-fill your remaining carry capacity, forcing you to make a beeline straight for home. 

Anyway, that's just my thoughts. Feel free to shoot them down or add to them. If this is a common suggestion I apologise, as I didn't find anything in the search 

Rabbits I agree with, they could easily be taken home and gutted later, but deer, moose, wolves, and bears are huge. Especially bears and moose, they are 500lbs pounds plus easy. Maybe if or when the horses are added, we can load the kills on the horse's back and walk the horse home.

...as for cutting them up into chunks, isn't that kinda what we are doing in the game already?

10 minutes ago, djb204 said:

Deer, moose, wolves, and bears are huge. Especially bears and moose, they are 500lbs pounds plus easy. Maybe if or when the horses are added, we can load the kills on the horse's back and walk the horse home.

It's a rare horse that will let you put bloody raw meat on it's back. They know it attracts predators and they are frightened of the smell. Of course, horses were totally used for hunting in my grandfather's time. They used them in a team to skid out the carcass and then the heavy butchering was done back home in the comfort of your barn or shed when the meat was hung, skinned and then butchered. That would also be a good time to salt it for preservation. I'm not sure if you cook the meat before salting; I think it is done raw and then perhaps slow cooked by smoking. I should put that in a separate topic I think.

Ever hear of pack horses? It's been done. though I wasn't saying loading up some bloody raw meat. A deer with just a bullet wound shouldn't be an issue. I hunt on horse back here in Canada.

Horses could pull stretchers as well. Stretchers could carry the kill, and the stretcher itself could be another craftable item.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

I definitely like the idea of being able to move a rabbit carcass before having to harvest it.

You could do the same with a wolf or deer as an option where you quarter it or something and the downside for the player is that if you make this choice you ruin the skin. Thus it's possible to escape the elements more quickly with your meat but in return you give up the skin. If you chose to skin it first, quartering it afterwards would only grant a very small time saving to take the meat away.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived