Disappearing animals, tracks and arrows on TWM

piddy3825

Twice now I have shot an animal with the bow on TWM and in the pursuit of the bleeding animal while following the blood trail suffered a sprain at which point the blood trail immediately vanished and the animal as well taking it with my very limited supply of arrows.  In one case it was a deer and in the other scenario it was a wolf.  Both times at the point the sprain occurs the screen stops, you hear the cracking sound of the sprain, the red injury icons pop up at which point you can see the red blood dot circle just wink out of existence.  this is immediate and the animal disappears as well.  i have searched for these bodies to no avail.  not so worried about the loss of the meat, but there arent many arrowheads to go around up there so the loss of one, two or more arrowheads due to this glitch should be addressed imho.

On 4/10/2016 at 10:33 AM, Support said:

Thanks for the report - We are working on improving the blood and footprint decal system. There is a high chance that the animal didn't disappear but died and decayed before you had a chance to find it. 

Ok, I'll reluctantly take that as a plausible answer.  The reason I say that, is because, subsequently, in my game play I searched the surrounding area in a very wide radius for two days of game time cover some pretty good portions of the map finding nothing.  Not bemoaning the loss of the animal harvest, but wondering, so if that's the case, what happens to the arrow that was lodged in the animal when it dies and decays before I have a chance to find it?  

I'll add my bug report here since there seems to be some overlap with this issue.

I'm was on the ice in TWM  near the fishing hut, clear weather.  I shot the bear that paths through that end of the ice with an arrow and a signal flare.  Both stuck, and there was a huge blood trail.  The bear ran a few meters and then winked out of existence.  The blood trail winked out at the same time.  The flare that was stuck in the bear's hide just dropped onto the ice at the point where the bear vanished.  No arrow in evidence.

I thought, hmmm, maybe it died and then the body teleported?  So I started to search, but almost immediately the bear blinked back into existence, a little earlier in it's path.  I watched it for 30 RL minutes, and even agro'd it a few times to keep it near the ice but it didn't die.  I concluded that somehow the bear I shot was despawned and a new, healthy bear spawned immediately to replace it.

Next time I logged into the game the dead bear was back in game in a spot I'd already searched, about halfway from Crystal Lake to it's den.  My arrow was in the bear (phew).  I searched for the "replacement" bear but it wasn't in it's den or anywhere on it's path.

Now I'm wondering if there's some bugged animal spawn logic that can be reset by restarting the game.

Last "game file cache" repair via steam -- sometime this week prior to the bug occurring.

13 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

Not bemoaning the loss of the animal harvest, but wondering, so if that's the case, what happens to the arrow that was lodged in the animal when it dies and decays before I have a chance to find it?  

I'm sure a dev can give you more conclusive answer but my experience is 'yes'.  I lost an arrow under a wolf that died with it's head in a snowbank.  I checked back when the corpse had despawned, still no arrow.  Later walking through that area, there was the arrow lying on top of the snow.

Actually this might be related to the issue I reported above, where a game restart seems to bring missing corpses and items back into the world.

Archived