Making a fan teaser for the Long Dark

Last week I uploaded the following video:

It's a teaser for the upcoming Story Mode, and I just wanted to come back on a few things I discovered while shooting/editing it.

For most of the shots of the first 30 seconds, I captured timelapse views of the environment by carrying as much as I could, exhausting the player and eventually crouching and walking in straight line. It was recording around 10 frames per second at a 2,5k resolution.

While processing the shots, I realized that there was a weird "glitch" (for not finding a better word):

When you go straight for a long time the character will periodically slightly turn on the right, then back on the left after the same amount of time. This is a very small bug, and it would never disturb any player, but I happened to see that so I guess I should report it.

On a different note, I have shooting real life timelapse for many years now, and in games you rarely see skies with a real depth that pictures accurately the different layers of clouds, with different paces, colors, shapes, etc. TLD is actually performing really well in that area, at no point during the sooting I noticed a redundant texture or dirty looking one. 

Two words: outstanding work.

• Hinterland
3 hours ago, kukrapok said:

@Raphael van Lierop

So any idea what is causing the slight rotation over time? I thought originally that it was a wanted feature, so the wind would actually slightly affect your movements , but I thought it was too weak of a rotation and not noticeable enough to be an actual gameplay mechanic. 

Yes, that is a workaround for a rendering bug with Unity. We automatically move the camera slightly every 7 seconds because if we let it stand still, there will be issues with the way the trees are rendered. I wish we had a better reason for it! It's just something that is core to Unity and something they have to fix.

3 hours ago, Raphael van Lierop said:

Yes, that is a workaround for a rendering bug with Unity. We automatically move the camera slightly every 7 seconds because if we let it stand still, there will be issues with the way the trees are rendered. I wish we had a better reason for it! It's just something that is core to Unity and something they have to fix.

I too assumed it was a sway as a result of exposure to the climate, found out when trying to do some time lapse photography in game that my focus changed ever so slightly now and then, been meaning to try again with a piece of chewing gum stuck to my monitor for a frame reference.

Even though it's a workaround it's a tiny detail that adds immersion, I'd have no objection to it staying should Unity bugfix :D

6 hours ago, illanthropist said:

I too assumed it was a sway as a result of exposure to the climate, found out when trying to do some time lapse photography in game that my focus changed ever so slightly now and then, been meaning to try again with a piece of chewing gum stuck to my monitor for a frame reference.

Chewing gum?? o.O

On your beautiful, clean, glossy monitor?? :o

How is that better than collecting water from a toilet?? :side-eye:

On 9/4/2016 at 6:32 PM, Raphael van Lierop said:

By any chance, where you trying to do some long exposure timelapse on the stars? :D like star trails?

I thought about it before doing the trailer, but haven't tried yet, in my opinion one way to go around the problem raphael mentioned, would be to record less images, like 1 or two per second, stabilize the whole sequence (if you record full fps, it's going to be a crazy amount of data to stabilize), and then echo the lighter values in AE of something similar.

Do you have something to share already?

@Raphael van Lierop Ah! Interesting it would affect the trees out of everything else.

Do you think it would be an interesting feature to reduce speed/increase of character when facing/backing wind, or to deviate path when sidewind? I remember when a few month ago (before GI update I'd say) I would often die in pleasant valley in a snowstorm searching for the farmstead while being a few meters from it. I thought it was very realistic and interesting gameplay wise. With such a feature, maybe blizzards would be deadly again?

12 hours ago, illanthropist said:

Lol have you seen my dog?  Nothing stays clean in my place for very long apart from dinner plates!  

DSCF1014.JPG

Handsome devil! Now that's a dog I wouldn't mind encountering in TLD! But this breed doesn't slobber as much as some others . . . So other than the hair, he's a pretty tidy type, isn't he? At least he isn't leaving half a mouse carcass on the rug for me to step on in the morning, like a cat I used to have did!

5 hours ago, hauteecolerider said:

So other than the hair, he's a pretty tidy type, isn't he?

Lol well he's not destructive but does like to leave paw prints everywhere and redecorate my place when we come in from a muddy hike.  Trying to get the hair-dryer on him is like an episode of Wiley Coyote and Roadrunner except it's me that does all the beeping :P

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived