Bear Hunting Tips!

GELtaz

33 minutes ago, hauteecolerider said:

I learned something new! Didn't know you could kill a bear with a distress pistol!

Too bad it doesn't cook the meat too . . . :D

lol that would be something. Thank you for Watching! 

I try to watch yours in particular. I'm deaf so the commentary (audio only) is lost on me. But I love the text comments you include in the video (and the deer hunting one - I picked up a few pointers from there as well), so I watch mainly for that. And for the funny moments, like your bad hunting day. I know, it wasn't funny at the time!

17 hours ago, hauteecolerider said:

I try to watch yours in particular. I'm deaf so the commentary (audio only) is lost on me. But I love the text comments you include in the video (and the deer hunting one - I picked up a few pointers from there as well), so I watch mainly for that. And for the funny moments, like your bad hunting day. I know, it wasn't funny at the time!

lol It'd all good, only the wolf attacked me :). Really glad you could pick up a few pointers!. I've never tried the CC on You Tube, you know the subtitles/close caption option, I wonder if it works well? Maybe its my accent the problem lol ;-) 

16 hours ago, Vhalkyrie said:

Hey great video!  Thanks for the bear hunting tips!  I use quite a few of these, but learned a few new ones!

Thank you, happy to hear that the video brought you a little something, Thank you for the comment and for Watching! :)

15 hours ago, Patrick Carlson said:

Thanks for putting this together, GELtaz. Definitely some intriguing strategies on display! :durbear:

The pleasure is mine, this game is so awesome, and is going to get even more awesomeness with the updates coming!!! :)

Thanks for the mention Patrick!

2 hours ago, GELtaz said:

Thank you, happy to hear that the video brought you a little something, Thank you for the comment and for Watching! :)

Well to be honest, there was more than one tip in there I did not know before; the use of the open porch on PV was one I did not know for example and aiming for the bear's right eye (on the left) is a really cool one! The side shots drawing a line between the ear and the eye is another good one; does that work better than simply aiming for the centre of the neck? How many hours did it take you to discover and record all this? I am guessing you spend at least 10 hours on play and video editing. Your channel should really be taking off now. With the recent upsurge in interest in Hinterland Forum should promote your videos since they are, in my not so humble opinion, some of the very best. Hinterland should let you get early access to the next release for early testing and in that way, you would have a leg up on a video for moose and cougar hunting, assuming those additions will be in the next release. The new animals are my personal favourite new enhancements.

I was wondering how many folks use the Creative Commons license. In that way, I think Hinterland could integrate some of your stuff into a promotional video. Not sure how that works. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creative_Commons_license

A Creative Commons (CC) license is one of several public copyright licenses that enable the free distribution of an otherwise copyrighted work. A CC license is used when an author wants to give people the right to share, use, and build upon a work that they have created. CC provides an author flexibility (for example, they might choose to allow only non-commercial uses of their own work) and protects the people who use or redistribute an author's work from concerns of copyright infringement as long as they abide by the conditions that are specified in the license by which the author distributes the work.

2 hours ago, GELtaz said:

lol It'd all good, only the wolf attacked me :). Really glad you could pick up a few pointers!. I've never tried the CC on You Tube, you know the subtitles/close caption option, I wonder if it works well? Maybe its my accent the problem lol ;-) 

Google Captions? Heh. That is the most useless piece of technology I've ever seen. 80% of it is wrong. I know because I listen to the voices and they do not match the words. Also, the captions do not fit the context of the commentary. I don't think accents have anything to do with it. I suspect that voice recognition technology and the AI required to support it is still in the future. 

I may not understand your words, but I hear the tone. And when you laugh, I laugh too. It's contagious! :D

Oh, and the repeated bear closeups made me hold my breath! Ever notice the slobber they leave on the screen when you are being mauled by them? And the lovely view of their teeth below those glowing eyes? Personally I hate that sequence - once was enough! I could smell the breath during that mauling. Yikes! But when it happens to someone else, it's funny . . . ^_^

On 4/8/2016 at 0:09 PM, SteveP said:

Well to be honest, there was more than one tip in there I did not know before; the use of the open porch on PV was one I did not know for example and aiming for the bear's right eye (on the left) is a really cool one! The side shots drawing a line between the ear and the eye is another good one; does that work better than simply aiming for the centre of the neck? How many hours did it take you to discover and record all this? I am guessing you spend at least 10 hours on play and video editing. Your channel should really be taking off now. With the recent upsurge in interest in Hinterland Forum should promote your videos since they are, in my not so humble opinion, some of the very best. Hinterland should let you get early access to the next release for early testing and in that way, you would have a leg up on a video for moose and cougar hunting, assuming those additions will be in the next release. The new animals are my personal favourite new enhancements.

Happy to hear that the video helped you Steve, to tell you the truth I'm not sure how much time, days seemed to fly by when I work on a video. I wanna say 10 or 12hrs minimum yes :).

I really wish Hinterlands would do all that but I think they are very busy, maybe even too busy to get in any sort of association but oh boy, would I love that.

On 4/8/2016 at 0:26 PM, hauteecolerider said:

Google Captions? Heh. That is the most useless piece of technology I've ever seen. 80% of it is wrong. I know because I listen to the voices and they do not match the words. Also, the captions do not fit the context of the commentary. I don't think accents have anything to do with it. I suspect that voice recognition technology and the AI required to support it is still in the future. 

I may not understand your words, but I hear the tone. And when you laugh, I laugh too. It's contagious! :D

Oh, and the repeated bear closeups made me hold my breath! Ever notice the slobber they leave on the screen when you are being mauled by them? And the lovely view of their teeth below those glowing eyes? Personally I hate that sequence - once was enough! I could smell the breath during that mauling. Yikes! But when it happens to someone else, it's funny . . . ^_^

That's what I thought useless piece of technology... we can go to the moon but can't get that technology right for people that need it... 

I'm really, really happy that you still manage to have a good time watching the videos!

Its always funny when it happens to someone else lol :)

• 1 month later...
On April 7, 2016 at 10:07 AM, GELtaz said:

Hey there People,

I went on a big Bear hunting session and thought I would share what I know with you all, Enjoy! 

This is fantastic. I'm about 75 days into the only long-term, successful sandbox I've had and I'd like to try and hunt bear for the bedroll achievement and the food source, of course. Do you know if the flare and/or fire tricks still work, as of the current patch? I've read something elsewhere that suggests they might not. Also, you manage to one shot the bear using the flare trick. If you don't one shot him, does he maul you? Does he run? Lastly, I've heard that hunting blinds are the best places to hunt bear because you can bait them and then shoot them safely from the blind. Your video didn't cover hunting blinds. Can you confirm that info? 

On 8.4.2016 at 6:26 PM, hauteecolerider said:

Turning them on on Dawn of War unit quotes videos is quite hilarious though, give it a try ;)

2 hours ago, tnbp said:

This is fantastic. I'm about 75 days into the only long-term, successful sandbox I've had and I'd like to try and hunt bear for the bedroll achievement and the food source, of course. Do you know if the flare and/or fire tricks still work, as of the current patch? I've read something elsewhere that suggests they might not. Also, you manage to one shot the bear using the flare trick. If you don't one shot him, does he maul you? Does he run? Lastly, I've heard that hunting blinds are the best places to hunt bear because you can bait them and then shoot them safely from the blind. Your video didn't cover hunting blinds. Can you confirm that info? 

It is a fantastic video, however dropping torches and flares no longer has any effect on bears.

One thing that's still true: it only takes one hit to kill a bear.. because eventually it will bleed out.  If you don't kill him in one shot and he catches you he'll maul you.  If you can survive being mauled (start at good condition, treat your wound immediately, maybe use a stim) and avoid the bear until he bleeds out you still win. :) 

• 2 years later...

Archived