Way to many wolves in stalker

dbldrew

19 minutes ago, Scyzara said:

All this calculation about how many arrows or bows one needs to survive long-term is pointless. In the current game, one doesn't need a single arrow to survive for all eternity (as wolves don't return to deer carcasses if you interrupt them). :winky:

I hadn't noticed that before. I guess that's an oversight since a predator would definitely return to it's kill to eat once the threat had been investigated and driven off.  

9 hours ago, Scyzara said:

Why use an arrow? You can also have the deer killed by a wolf and scare the wolf away with a torch afterwards.

Cost = 4 sticks (+ maybe 1 match if it's not sunny and you can't use the magnifying lens).

If you manage to have your deer killed by a wolf in the proximity of a house or fishing hut (which is pretty simple), you can also just approach the wolf to interrupt its eating process, turn tail as soon as the beast starts to follow you and escape into the nearby building. Sleep for one or two hours to make the wolf leave and get your deer meat afterwards. Cost = nothing.

All this calculation about how many arrows or bows one needs to survive long-term is pointless. In the current game, one doesn't need a single arrow to survive for all eternity (as wolves don't return to deer carcasses if you interrupt them). :winky:

Thats smart - this needs to be dealt with

On 2016-03-21 at 10:18 AM, starfighter441 said:

Yep, it seems that every time I leave the Camp Office, one of the beggers comes charging at me with unfriendly intentions...  Think I'm going to have to pull up stakes and move somewhere else.

You may find the logging camp a much easier place to get deer killed by wolves when you have few arrows and even less bullets in the early ML game. We had a rough game start recently, wasting almost all the bullets. There is only one cartridge left, which I'm insisting be saved for a bear hunt in order to have enough meat on hand to finish crafting the wolf skin coat and deer skin pants and boots. It is relatively easy to evade the wolves from the camp office by using the back door and the trail behind it to access the lake itself. The lake is difficult to hunt using the wolf tactic so we resorted to using torches and fires out of necessity and the location near the clear cut seems to be ideal. There are plenty of deer in this location and if you scare them they will often run right into the patrol path of a wolf. The chief risk in dealing with wolves using fire is the unpredictable weather. If a wind springs up, more often than not, your fires will go out.

I'm not sure why many player feel that using fire as a weapon against wolves is "cheating"; it seems to be simply the preconceived idea that hunting requires specific hunting weapons! Once a wolf has noticed you, it can be difficult to get it to leave. Sometimes a short wolf battle is necessary however these wolf interactions are rarely fatal and often only result in relatively minor injuries, the worst being damage to clothing. Once you have a knife, there is plenty of cloth to get from the old bedrolls left in the logging camp so clothing repairs become easier although more time consuming. You need that deer meat in order to have enough to complete your clothing repairs.

In Stalker mode, I can sympathize that dealing with wolves becomes too easy after the acquisition of rifle or bow & arrows; perhaps the solution is MORE wolves which can operate in packs of three or more. That becomes a very serious challenge since they can approach you from all angles. Changing the wolf AI to be more aggressive and intelligent is another approach but it needs to be tailored to the level. In pilgrim the wolves flee humans; in Voyageur and Stalker, the wolf behaviours seem identical. I think wolves and other predators need to be more vicious on Stalker level. Currently, if you get the wolf in a fire trap, it's pretty easy to shoot it in the face with an arrow. Perhaps on Stalker mode, there should be a greater chance of the wolf fleeing with that precious arrow (and arrowhead!) The wolf could stop further back making the shot more difficult or it could pace from side to side. It could be keeping you busy while it's partners silently sneak up behind you for a surprise attack.

I wonder if it's viable to have two or more wolves simultaneously attack. If wolf struggle were animated and perhaps interactive, multiple wolves would make that mini-game much more challenging, exciting and rewarding. Wolves and bears don't cause as much of a panic attack for me now however, for my son, any wolf interaction gets his heart racing. I tell him to STOP and use the old survival acronym. Press Escape button to pause for a minute or so and plan what to do! Haste makes bad decisions. :/

2 hours ago, hauteecolerider said:

Is that the new survival mantra? Hit the panic button and take deep breaths? If only real life was like that! :big_smile:

No, in real life you must not panic. STOP stands for Stop and Sit down, Think and Take inventory, Organize and Observe, Prioritize and Plan. Obviously in real life, you don't have the luxury of stopping when the emergency is imminent. That's when you anticipate the contingency and prepare a plan in advance. Then you won't panic when the wolf appears. STOP works in many life situations such as parenting. To summarize it, it means simply, don't panic.

Once my son went through a couple of wolf encounters, he is not so scared because he knows things are manageable. I use it as an excuse to teach a valuable life skill. Another example is when my son gets upset while talking to his friend on the phone. I get him to take a break, calm down and phone back once he's had a chance to analyze the problem.

http://www.preparedsociety.com/images/1/7/6/4/0/stopp-369.jpg

Alternative to the wolf-packs might be that when you carry, or light a fire (torch), the wolf would back of to certain distance and stalk you from there. A distance enough to make an arrow shot 'impossible' to hit and a rifle shot a really hard one.

2 hours ago, Drazon said:

Alternative to the wolf-packs might be that when you carry, or light a fire (torch), the wolf would back of to certain distance and stalk you from there. A distance enough to make an arrow shot 'impossible' to hit and a rifle shot a really hard one.

Don't need to do either. You can't hold a torch/flare and hold a weapon at the same time (at present). So, unless you think you can drop your torch, draw and get a shot off before the wolves rush you more power to you :)

6 hours ago, cekivi said:

Don't need to do either. You can't hold a torch/flare and hold a weapon at the same time (at present). So, unless you think you can drop your torch, draw and get a shot off before the wolves rush you more power to you :)

But that's the thing. Currently you can drop your torche on the ground, the wolf will freeze 3 meters away from you and become a sitting duck. 

I don't know maybe I'm missing something but the wolves in my game are very hard to kill with bow or rifle if they are charging at me. As soon as I bring the rifle or bow up to shoot at them they actually dodge me or run behind a tree and attack me from the side. If I don't raise the gun or bow the head right at me and it's melee time.

Neither a bow nor rifle is good in close quarters. I get that, but when you line up a shot at on coming wolf that is 50 yards away and he turns and runs behind a tree because he see the rifle come up that's to much. If that's the case let me find a revolver somewhere to use for close in shots.

52 minutes ago, Pasquinel said:

Neither a bow nor rifle is good in close quarters.

The bow is very good in close quarters (I use rifle for long range).  I kill 90% of wolves when they approach me by putting an arrow in the head.  Shooting deer at distance is hard, but wolves in mid to short range are almost guaranteed kills.  Just takes practice and understanding the flight mechanics of the arrow.

1 minute ago, Vhalkyrie said:

The bow is very good in close quarters (I use rifle for long range).  I kill 90% of wolves when they approach me by putting an arrow in the head.  Shooting deer at distance is hard, but wolves in mid to short range are almost guaranteed kills.  Just takes practice.

Do you find that they dodge or run behind cover on you when you draw the bow? I really found this to be at first amusing now it's maddening...

On March 30, 2016 at 0:59 PM, SteveP said:

No, in real life you must not panic. STOP stands for Stop and Sit down, Think and Take inventory, Organize and Observe, Prioritize and Plan. Obviously in real life, you don't have the luxury of stopping when the emergency is imminent. That's when you anticipate the contingency and prepare a plan in advance. Then you won't panic when the wolf appears. STOP works in many life situations such as parenting. To summarize it, it means simply, don't panic.

Once my son went through a couple of wolf encounters, he is not so scared because he knows things are manageable. I use it as an excuse to teach a valuable life skill. Another example is when my son gets upset while talking to his friend on the phone. I get him to take a break, calm down and phone back once he's had a chance to analyze the problem.

http://www.preparedsociety.com/images/1/7/6/4/0/stopp-369.jpg

They teach us this in Veterinary Medicine, too . . .

Not in so many words, nor in this specific mantra, but believe me, I know what to do when a bloat walks/staggers in the door - it's second nature now! Preparation, drilling, and practicing are key, as well. That way the proper responses are semi-automatic and kick in when you're confronted with a bleeding pet. And yes, with practice and preparation, it's possible to run through all five steps of this mantra in a matter of very few seconds!

2 hours ago, Pasquinel said:

Do you find that they dodge or run behind cover on you when you draw the bow? I really found this to be at first amusing now it's maddening...

Well, to clear this up when an animal is shot in the head there is only a percent chance it will instantly die. Otherwise, it will be wounded and continue to charge you. The chance is really high though especially with the rifle.

Animals running for cover when they see movement is actually a real response! You can walk up on an animal and as long as you don't move it will freeze in place. If you move (especially if it's towards the animal) it will bolt and try to put obstructions between you and it. Try crouching the next time you're sneaking up on a wolf. I've gotten many wolves by crouching, sneaking close and then shooting the wolf while it is eating a deer.

The fear of torches (especially when they'll walk right over a flare) is a bit of an oversight in my opinion :D

15 hours ago, cekivi said:

Well, to clear this up when an animal is shot in the head there is only a percent chance it will instantly die. Otherwise, it will be wounded and continue to charge you. The chance is really high though especially with the rifle.

Animals running for cover when they see movement is actually a real response! You can walk up on an animal and as long as you don't move it will freeze in place. If you move (especially if it's towards the animal) it will bolt and try to put obstructions between you and it. Try crouching the next time you're sneaking up on a wolf. I've gotten many wolves by crouching, sneaking close and then shooting the wolf while it is eating a deer.

The fear of torches (especially when they'll walk right over a flare) is a bit of an oversight in my opinion :D

Thanks but this is not what I'm talking about. I have hunted all my life and understand how wildlife behaves. I have used the crouch method on feeding wolves and that works pretty well. There is just one specific thing that I'm talking about and since nobody else seems to notice I'm wondering if it's just me...

What I'm referring to is how when in TLD a wolf will charge straight in to melee if you don't raise a weapon it will come in on a straight path. Conversely they will begin charging in straight but then as soon as the bow or rifle is raised they actually will turn and run to the side usually behind a tree to avoid being shot at before the shot is fired. Like human would.

7 hours ago, Pasquinel said:

What I'm referring to is how when in TLD a wolf will charge straight in to melee if you don't raise a weapon it will come in on a straight path. Conversely they will begin charging in straight but then as soon as the bow or rifle is raised they actually will turn and run to the side usually behind a tree to avoid being shot at before the shot is fired. Like human would.

I have had that happen once or twice with me as well but I always attributed it to how animal pathing works. From what I've seen an attacking wolf will tend circle/stalk you before making a straight line for your face. Unfortunately, the animals can cross terrain that a person can't. So, it may not be dodging per se. Instead it could be the path of least resistance that looks really odd because the wolf is moving in ways the player cannot. On flat ground (e.g. the tracks outside the camp office) I've never seen a dodge once the wolf has locked on weapon or no. I have been able to shoot wolves that were charging me by getting a head shot as it ran straight towards me. On uneven ground I tend to miss due to the weird animal movement mechanics. 

Personally, I don't think the animals should be able to cross terrain people can't (ever see a deer run up a near vertical hill on the Coastal Highway?) since it detracts from the reality of the game and it makes predicting animal movement much harder. :|

44 minutes ago, cekivi said:

I've had that happen a few times to me as

I have had that happen once or twice with me as well but I always attributed it to how animal pathing works. From what I've seen an attacking wolf will tend circle/stalk you before making a straight line for your face. Unfortunately, the animals can cross terrain that a person can't. So, it may not be dodging per se. Instead it could be the path of least resistance that looks really odd because the wolf is moving in ways the player cannot. On flat ground (e.g. the tracks outside the camp office) I've never seen a dodge once the wolf has locked on weapon or no. I have been able to shoot wolves that were charging me by getting a head shot as it ran straight towards me. On uneven ground I tend to miss due to the weird animal movement mechanics. 

Personally, I don't think the animals should be able to cross terrain people can't (ever see a deer run up a near vertical hill on the Coastal Highway?) since it detracts from the reality of the game and it makes predicting animal movement much harder. :|

Thanks! I think this is exactly what I am experiencing. 

Now on a side note, I wonder why if after you shoot an animal and there is a blood trail, the blood trail will disappear if you go back inside to warm up and let the animal expire before tracking. (Not talking about if there's a snow storm or blizzard but in calm weather). Also the blood trail seems to disappear at dusk and after sunset when you should be able to track by lantern light (I have done this myself in real life). I just like to harvest what I shoot. Sometimes they can go a long way and even get lost before expiring, which is realistic but it would be nice to track after dark and certainly not loose the blood trail after warming up inside. For me it's an immersion thing and maybe it's a small matter to others but would make the game feel better to me.

For that @Pasquinel I will refer you to an earlier post of mine:

Basically, weather and time are the only things that are supposed to affect blood drops. However, there are a lot of players (myself included) who are not experiencing them as thery are intended to be in the game. Hopefully this will get fixed in the next major update.

On 3/31/2016 at 0:50 PM, Pasquinel said:

I don't know maybe I'm missing something but the wolves in my game are very hard to kill with bow or rifle if they are charging at me. As soon as I bring the rifle or bow up to shoot at them they actually dodge me or run behind a tree and attack me from the side. If I don't raise the gun or bow the head right at me and it's melee time.

Neither a bow nor rifle is good in close quarters. I get that, but when you line up a shot at on coming wolf that is 50 yards away and he turns and runs behind a tree because he see the rifle come up that's to much. If that's the case let me find a revolver somewhere to use for close in shots.

keep some raw or cooked food on you at all times. when you hear a wolf coming drop it (down on the D pad on the xbox) and back up a few steps. the wolf will go and eat the dropped food. draw aim fire, head shots drop them where they stand 90% of the time for me. easy food source..

Archived