Navigation Without GPS

Vhalkyrie

When I first played the game, I got lost often.  I had to learn old explorer techniques in order to get my bearings.

The obvious: Sunrise East, Sunset West - North/South inferred.

It's best not to get caught outside at night, but if you have a clear sky, I discovered there is a North Star:

20160315172143_1.thumb.jpg.4ef27e6570c82

The shiny spot roughly in the middle is the North Star.  To find it, it's best to do so before you need it (there are a couple that are similar and misleading), and reorient every time you move to a new map.  If you know the relative North/South due to the sunrise/sunset position, go outside at on a clear night, look up, and find the Little Dipper.

Hanzel and Gretel: Pickup sticks and drop "arrow" markers for yourself.  I do this inside of caves.  I drop 2 sticks and then arrange them to point me in directions to the exit.  In this way, I can navigate through quickly.

Spent flares: Don't throw away those expired flares!  They are unmistakable markers that can help you find your way back to safety in case of heavy fog/blizzard.

River Highways: Follow rivers and orient landmarks relative to them.  Then use them as highways to familiar places when you get lost.

What navigation tips do you have?

I've gotten to know most maps to a point where I hardly ever get lost even in a blizzard. I do still use dropped items (sticks) to mark important trails. That way I can always follow a trail to safety if need be. I mainly used the sun to navigate before I really got to know the maps.

Nice find about that north star! I'm definitely going to look for that next time I play.

Archived