What was your biggest mistake when you discovered TLD?

June

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Packet802 said:

In one of my early games I died of blood loss from a wolf attack. Had made it into the camp office but was out of bandages and couldn't stop the bleeding. I throughly searched the camp office even though I had already searched it before hoping to find a bandage I had missed. No luck. Watched my condition drop through the 40s as I was bleeding out. I climbed in my bedroll to sleep for an hour thinking rest and the bedroll might stop the bleeding.  Woke up and I'm in the teens and still dropping! But I have a scarf, why can't I use that to wrap up and stop the bleeding? I'm going to go suggest on the forums that clothing can be used as a bandage if you don't have any!! Makes sense right??  In a panic and not thinking clearly I watched my health drop to zero and end my best run of 20 some days or whatever it was. Just as I thought I was getting the hang of this game!

On my very next game less than an hour later I wondered if it was possible to harvest a piece of cloth.....

:D:D 

i had a similar revelation about tinder.  In one of my early games, I ran out of tinder and newspapers to burn.  I ran around chopping wood, wearing down my hatchet trying to collect tinder.  I spent several days struggling with no tinder.  With no fire, I was always on the edge of dehydration.  Things looked grim.

Then I noticed there was a Harvest button on sticks....

I spent days struggling for no good reason!

16 hours ago, RobertJK94 said:

"Ok I am at day 30, stuff it. Let's shoot the bear. How hard can it be?" I learnt from my mistake (didn't die through. Was at 6% condition). Now everytime I even slightly see a bear, I leg it in the opposite direction

The thing is though, that if you want that sleeping bag, you have to do it twice...  I had a great shot at Mr. Bruin in Desolation Point, I was pretty close to the car on the last bridge in the map, and figured that I'd nail him, and then duck into the car to wait him out.  So I aim carefully, and fire, then turn around, and have a Brain Fart forgetting which key to hit to sprint...

After I came to at 10%...  Anyhow I survived and eventually found him near the Rikon, I treasure that bedroll.

My biggest mistake early on was getting too exhausted trying to make too much potable water and cooked meat from my fire.  I was shocked to die in my sleep despite a warm bed in a secure warm house all warmed up from hours in front of the fire with a full belly over 2000 calories and no thirst.  I thought I was golden.  Oops.

when bears first came out i hadnt ever seen one , so im on my way from ML to CH and i was caring all my stuff... so out of the corner of my eye i see a bear, and im like "oh ya now i can get a closer look at the bear" so i take out my gun and bang..... well i hit it so here i am waiting for my gun to reload... needless to say... i got a closer look

• 2 weeks later...

Mine is bleeding to death same as Packet802.

In one of my first sandboxes. I had fought a wolf and it was injured and ran away. I followed the blood trail and found it limping. I didn't realize it still had some fight in it and got too close and another fight. It bit me as I stuck the knife in, killing it.
I neglecting to realize how bad I was bleeding when I sat down to harvest the meat from it ( " It's just a flesh wound! " ).
So I died there on the second day from blood loss while harvesting meat. :P

I learned to always bandage things up right away after that.

Earlier game I think I had about 45 days alive.  Crafted all clothes and had a nice base at Trapper's homestead set up. I decided it was time to see the world and made my way from ML to PV.  My trip there and at PV was largely uneventful until, overloaded with loot, I decided to traipse back to my cabin at Trappers. 

Several hours later, while looking for the tunnel that leads to the windy river, I was freezing, starving and lost in a blizzard.  Thankfully I found a cave and, not understanding the significance of the pile of bones in the corner, decided to rest for a bit until the blizzard was over.

Needless to say a bear attack is a poor substitute for an alarm clock.  I can confirm that I did at least wake but shortly after faded away ...

My biggest mistake was... found the rifle on PV - Signal Hill... found a Bear near the Barn... shoot it 5 times (he got me) heal and shoot it again... then i went inside the Barn and rested until i reach 100% condition... found THAT Bear again... shoot him 4 times more... he gots me and it broke almost all my clothes... then i run and i move to the Rural Houses... got some clothes but i was on a bad situation... i reach 100% condition and i was preparing a travel to CH (My base) to get more clothes and live there for a while... but walking up the mountain i found another bear... and yeah.. i try to kill it... 5 shoot of my rifle... broke... i take my bow and arrows, shoot it 2 times and the bear gots me... 5% condition and my last arrow... i hit it on the head and he falls dead... 4%..3%...2%...1%... almost i didnt die alone... 

-You faded into The Long Dark-

On 3/15/2016 at 6:08 PM, June said:

But you can one shot bears! Just aim for the head! I killed a bear by shooting out the window of the PV farmhouse winter garden.

@SteveP: Fluffy, oh the memories ;P

wait PV farmhouse has a winter garden?  Does it actually grow stuff ?

6 hours ago, Pillock said:

First time I explored a mine, I only had one-and-a-half torches.

"Ah well, if they burn out I'll just light a fire and make more."

You can't light fires inside mines.

Doh!

I *almost* made this mistake.  You can make a fire and light a torch near the entrance, but by some dumb luck I tried to start a fire further in and wouldn't let me.  I ran for the exit and made it.

9 hours ago, Vhalkyrie said:

Doh!

I *almost* made this mistake.  You can make a fire and light a torch near the entrance, but by some dumb luck I tried to start a fire further in and wouldn't let me.  I ran for the exit and made it.

Matches don't last very long if you're using them to see. Gave a whole new meaning to "The Long Dark".

In one of my first games I got stuck out in a blizzard.  I couldn't see where I was going but I managed to find a rock overhang  that blocked most of the wind.  I had enough wood and sticks on me to build a nice fire.  Got it going good and hot, then huddled up really close to keep warm and wait out the storm.

... only I huddled a little too close and didn't realize I was burning to death.   So I burned to death, in the freezing cold, in the middle of a blizzard.  Epic fails.

11 hours ago, Girlybits said:

In one of my first games I got stuck out in a blizzard.  I couldn't see where I was going but I managed to find a rock overhang  that blocked most of the wind.  I had enough wood and sticks on me to build a nice fire.  Got it going good and hot, then huddled up really close to keep warm and wait out the storm.

... only I huddled a little too close and didn't realize I was burning to death.   So I burned to death, in the freezing cold, in the middle of a blizzard.  Epic fails.

o.OO.o:S

Archived