What was your biggest mistake when you discovered TLD?

June

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haha!!  I almost tried that.  Almost.  It seemed like a Bad Idea™, so I changed my mind.  Later I found out that was a transition map, but I was sure that there was a secret way down I missed!

I've had so many mistakes. O.o  But this one is probably tops for the comedic value:

Died to food poisoning from a candy bar (?!) with 10 antibiotics on hand.  I thought the first aid message meant "antibiotics OR 10 hours sleep", not "antibiotics AND 10 hours sleep".  I decided to sleep 10 hours to "save" the pills and died in my sleep.

Edit: I should note that I also had hypothermia at the time.  Food poisoning by itself shouldn't kill you.

Biggest mistake I made over and over? Trying to shoot the bear. It almost never works out. There are a couple of ways to do it safely but for a beginner, that's probably the worst mistake.

Second big mistake is probably trying to stay in one place too long and not moving around to find the knife, hatchet, rifle and bow and arrows. You can craft a lot of rabbit snares but unless you have around 8-10, you can't seem to catch enough rabbits to survive.

Third big mistake is falling asleep inside the Carter Hydro Dam. You're liable to wake up to Fluffy!

Fourth big mistake is to try to survive on fishing alone. The game can keep you alive on the thing edge but you eventually run out of fishing tackle and you need fresh guts to make more. That might change in the future but that has been my experience.

Just now, June said:

But you can one shot bears! Just aim for the head! I killed a bear by shooting out the window of the PV winter garden.

Shooting out the window works? O.o  I tried shooting at a bear through the chain link fence at the Radio Tower, and it bounced off like an invisible forcefield.  I figured you couldn't really shoot through "holes".

1 minute ago, Vhalkyrie said:

Shooting out the window works? O.o  

You remember the "winter garden" at the farmhouse? (dunno if it´s correct English) It´s like a ground floor balkony, with walls, a door, and numerous small windows around you. Some are broken, some are intact. You can definitely shoot through the broken windows. Tried it both with rifle and with bow and it works. 

2015-05-27_00006.thumb.jpg.90067f6808b80

8 minutes ago, illanthropist said:

The porch area?

Exactly that one. But to get it straight, I never did an "instant kill". In the picture above, I shot the bear in the head, it ran away, I slept for 2 or 3 hours and it was dead on my doorstep when I woke up. On another occasion, I shot a bear with a rifle on Timberwolf mountain and retreated into the fishing hut when it charged at me. Then it walked by the fishing hut and another headshot instantly killed it. Just to be precise about that^^

Erm, you cant die from poisoning. It drops condition to 15% and then stops. Main problem is accelerated tiredness, that can kill you if player continue to do anything, but even that would take some effort. Then theres either antibiotics plus 10 hours of sleep or it wears out on its own after about 16 hours.

When im doing good, i just do stuff at HQ in short bursts, paired with sleeping, saving antibiotics. Since i generally have plenty of food for several days, not really a problem. I consider food poisoning being an annoyance, rather than actual threat.

And on subject of bear hunting... Headshot this, headshot that. Real men kill bear in the right way... 8)

how to kill a bear.png

33 minutes ago, Dirmagnos said:

Erm, you cant die from poisoning. It drops condition to 15% and then stops. Main problem is accelerated tiredness, that can kill you if player continue to do anything, but even that would take some effort. Then theres either antibiotics plus 10 hours of sleep or it wears out on its own after about 16 hours.

I most definitely died.  Granted, I had both hypothermia and food poisoning at the same time, but I definitely died in my sleep - lol.  I was warm and had a fire going, so it wasn't that I was still cold.  I had slept for several hours before I woke to 10% condition, at which point I was in a panic and couldn't figure out what was wrong.  I wrote about what happened in my story thread.

Basically, I misunderstood the cure, so I didn't take the antibiotic.  The hypothermia fatigues you faster, and food poisoning fatigues faster.  So because I didn't properly cure the food poisoning, I died.  Even though I was resting, I couldn't restore condition.  The coroner's report would probably say, yes, I died to advanced fatigue that was caused by hypothermia and improperly treated food poisoning. :P

58 minutes ago, Vhalkyrie said:

I most definitely died.  Granted, I had both hypothermia and food poisoning at the same time, but I definitely died in my sleep - lol.  I was warm and had a fire going, so it wasn't that I was still cold.  I had slept for several hours before I woke to 10% condition, at which point I was in a panic and couldn't figure out what was wrong.  I wrote about what happened in my story thread.

Basically, I misunderstood the cure, so I didn't take the antibiotic.  The hypothermia fatigues you faster, and food poisoning fatigues faster.  So because I didn't properly cure the food poisoning, I died.  Even though I was resting, I couldn't restore condition.  The coroner's report would probably say, yes, I died to advanced fatigue that was caused by hypothermia and improperly treated food poisoning. :P

Interesting, something to keep in mind.

In one of my early games I died of blood loss from a wolf attack. Had made it into the camp office but was out of bandages and couldn't stop the bleeding. I throughly searched the camp office even though I had already searched it before hoping to find a bandage I had missed. No luck. Watched my condition drop through the 40s as I was bleeding out. I climbed in my bedroll to sleep for an hour thinking rest and the bedroll might stop the bleeding.  Woke up and I'm in the teens and still dropping! But I have a scarf, why can't I use that to wrap up and stop the bleeding? I'm going to go suggest on the forums that clothing can be used as a bandage if you don't have any!! Makes sense right??  In a panic and not thinking clearly I watched my health drop to zero and end my best run of 20 some days or whatever it was. Just as I thought I was getting the hang of this game!

On my very next game less than an hour later I wondered if it was possible to harvest a piece of cloth.....

Archived