104 Days In - Deceased Day 131

Seshins

Hey guys,

Ive decided to post up the journal entries i have started to keep. Each entry will have the time, the known air and known windchill temp (i.e 6.00am, -23, -27) in C. The first two posts are slightly different as they are meant to be the first tentative entries. The story told out of my base in Pleasant Valley farmstead. All times given are guesstimates and guesstimates only.

This is the first time i have ever really written anything creative. you have been warned.

(at the bottom of this post there are a few pictures of the farmstead, and the kitchen (were most of the activity in the house occurs)

Day 104

well, i thought i had better start writing in this thing now that 100 days has passed. I haven't been able to bring myself to record my journey here. It was...i don't know,  if i record it, then it really IS happening....

i broke down some more furniture, it was too cold to go out for wood. The reserves of the canned food and candy are starting to deteriorate. Its as if the cold degrades things faster than normal, but this cant be helped.I also braved the cold for some meat, the bear i shot on my doorstep last week is dwindling now.... loosed a few arrows at a stag down near the main road and managed to land one but the blasted creature took off before a blizzard set in. I tried to track the animal down, but turned for home. I really hope i can find him tomorrow....

Day 105

Found the deer i stalked yesterday, lost an arrow for my trouble.

A wolf had found the carcass before i could, and was feeding on it when i approached. On hearing me, the wolf attacked me! I managed to get an arrow into him but he raged on as if he hadn't even felt it.I Managed to fight him away with my knife and harvest the rest of the deer.

Back in the farmstead.Straight to bed for me today, a strong wind has picked up...its getting cold....

Day 106

4am, -25, -21 Blizzard
I spent the next 3 hours cooking the venison taken from the kill over the river, in the hay field. Am currently observing the blizzard from the porch, drinking a coffee. Hopefully the storm breaks. running low on wood.

6pm, -5 (inside), calm, clear
Storm has died down, no wood. Made some torches during the day and laid the deerskin out to cure. My deer skin boots are starting to wear. Some venison steak for dinner and off to bed.

Day 107

6am, -27, -23, Blizzard
Woke to it howling again outside. Hopefully this settles soon, i need to be out to prepare for gathering wood and maybe ill head up the radio tower.

7.30am, -23, -1, Calm, light snow.
setting out for the radio tower, hopefully i wont encounter any wolves.

10.00am ??, ?? - Blizzard
Reached the radio tower, found some 8 rounds of rifle ammunition, a rifle, some medical supplies and soft drink. May need to settle here until the storm blows out. Knocked over a deer with the bow on my way out, near the road. Will have a chore in front of me when it comes to harvesting it, what with it being frozen. Hopefully the wolves haven't beaten me to it.

5.30pm, -5 (inside) calm
Managed to get down from the radio tower through an opening in the weather. Harvested the deer i knocked over earlier and took its skin. Tense stand off with a bear out the front of the house, finally lost interest in me and wandered off.  Absolutely exhausted when i got home, will cook the meat tomorrow. need sleep

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/311118613849946221/22855637A01FDCB8DDD5A94111AE76B6619BAD95/

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/311118613849946953/60E5140D63AA8663E384E3B99AE00DA6C8817A8C/

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/311118613849947177/C285AE425789952BF35D5B7988763F003B9D05BC/

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/311118613849947637/51811C0D0455F05E1BD8E2B496900974E697C524/

Thanks Patrick!

Day 108

6.30am -5 (inside), calm, light fog
Woke to a calm morning.  Today i think ill head  west to inspect the cabins out that way. Haven't seen them for a while, will check if i missed anything worthwhile to bring back. May have another expedition to TWM to think about....i know i left some good items there, but will need to prepare. Wood for today, cook the venison.

2pm, -23, -28 Clear, Gales
Found a few days with of fir and cedar, got back to the farmstead and cooked the venison. Next order of business is the new bearskin bed roll. I have the pelts cured on the porch and found the bear was back from yesterday, now i cant get to the workbench in the basement. Hopefully he leaves soon

7pm -17, -5, Clear, Calm
Beautiful sunset. Don't have enough gut in a usable state to put this bedroll together, i will have to wait for a few more days for the gut on the porch to cure. Made some rose hip and reishi tea. Didn't get out west, will do that tomorrow. Venison for dinner and off to bed,

Day 109

9.00am, -5 (inside), Clear, Gales
Awoke to gale winds how long outside. I was hoping to make it out west before mid day, but the weather is not looking great. Will hope for a weather window, maybe i can get out to the cabins and hunker down for a day or two.

1.00pm, 1C, 0, Calm, clear
Found a cave up along a ridge line. There was a back pack and metal container in there with some canned food, but no sign of any people. Will continue on to Skeeters Ridge after a nap.

6pm, -5 (inside) Fog, light wind
Well when i woke up a fog had set in and hasn't broken, so im hunkering down in Burned Ridge Cave. Venison and some soda for tea, and then off to bed.

Day 110

5am,  -33, -2, Clear, strong wind
Slept pretty well in the cave, all things considered. Death did not come this night. Its blisteringly cold this morning, im going to risk setting out for draft dodgers cabin, now that i have clear vis.

7am, -5 (inside) Clear, Light winds.
Made it to the cabin! i knocked over two wolves on my way with the rifle, using two rounds of the 5 i carry on me., one ambushed me as soon as i left the cave. It was still early dawn, with a rich, deep blue light illuminating the landscape. I shot the wolf using blind luck. The second wolf was blocking my path and had to go, further down the ridge line. it was too perilous in the wind to wait the wolf out. I took the pelt from the second wolf and will warm up in the cabin before heading home. Fruitless endeavor this was.

12pm, -5 (Inside), Overcast, Gales
What a disaster. I swung by the Barn on my way back to pick over the area. nothing. On my way back a wolf had taken a deer. I really need more skins for repair and to craft some pants.I scared the wolf away with an arrow, and settled in to my task. Just after skinning the carcass the wolf pounced. He did a number on me, cuts, bruises, and a suspected sprain in my wrist. Just got home with my life. I need to tend to my wounds and will sleep. DAMN IT!

Day 111

8am, -5 (inside), Clear, Gales
Woke up, put on a fire and boiled some water. Today will be a repair and recharge day i think. The gut i need is nearly finished curing, two days max and then i can put the bearskin bedroll together, take some meat for the trip, get the farmstead ready and provisioned for my (hopeful) return.

To be honest i keep asking myself why i go on these expeditions. Ive got nearly everything i could need for a tentative future here in PV...but maybe its wanderlust......or loneliness that drives me on, to search, to seek. Why? an answer i do not have..

31 minutes ago, Seshins said:

*snip*

To be honest i keep asking myself why i go on these expeditions. Ive got nearly everything i could need for a tentative future here in PV...but maybe its wanderlust......or loneliness that drives me on, to search, to seek. Why? an answer i do not have..

This. I've encountered this feeling in PV, which prompted me to actively prepare for my next expedition, Coastal Highway. And now I'm beginning to experience this again, hunkered down between the gas station (my crafting place) and the coastal home directly across the Highway. Waiting for pelts to finish drying . . .

1 hour ago, Seshins said:

Day 111

8am, -5 (inside), Clear, Gales
Woke up, put on a fire and boiled some water. Today will be a repair and recharge day i think. The gut i need is nearly finished curing, two days max and then i can put the bearskin bedroll together, take some meat for the trip, get the farmstead ready and provisioned for my (hopeful) return.

^^^^

I, too, get settled in a comfy routine, then wanderlust sets in.  By the time I've established more than I need to get comfortable, I have to go see what else is out there - is there more ammo out there somewhere?  More flares?  I sacrifice certain comfort for unknown peril, even if I don't really need extra ammo or flares.  Just the thought that maybe I should have them...just in case!

Day 112

6am, -5 (inside), Blizzard
Breakfast of champions. Venison, Candy and Coffee. I wIll wait out this blizzard and hopefully start this bedroll.

10.00am, -5 (Inside), Clear, Strong wind
Weather has settled  down,. Time to start the bedroll.

10.00pm, -5 (inside), Clear, strong wind
Time for bed, could hear the bear out in the dark so i got inside as fast as possible. Venison for dinner and bed

Day 113

7.00am -5 (inside), Clear, strong wind
Woke up to Mr Bear outside. I may take him when i'm back from TWM, right outside again so i can ferry all that meat inside. Finishing that bedroll today and will then consider setting off for TWM.

9.00pm, -5 (inside) Clear, Calm
Bedroll complete, off to bed after a long day. Will head off to TWM in the morning.

Day 114

7.00am, -5 (inside) Misty, calm
Well i'm about ready to set off for TWM. When i last visited on Day 61 - 77 i managed to explore the lowland, and fix some ropes for a higher attack on the mountain. I left a meager cache of tools and pieces of equipment. If anyone finds this journal.....share my story.

5.00pm, -10 (inside), Clear, Calm
Finally arrived at the hut on crystal lake. The weather was clear but very windy on the way up, with gales most of the day. Going to have some dinner and go to bed. Tomorrows first order of business is wood and meat, and then begin the ascent.

47 minutes ago, Seshins said:

Day 114

*snip*

7.00am, -5 (inside) Misty, calm
Well i'm about ready to set off for TWM. When i last visited on Day 61 - 77 i managed to explore the lowland, and fix some ropes for a higher attack on the mountain. I left a meager cache of tools and pieces of equipment. If anyone finds this journal.....share my story.

5.00pm, -10 (inside), Clear, Calm
Finally arrived at the hut on crystal lake. The weather was clear but very windy on the way up, with gales most of the day. Going to have some dinner and go to bed. Tomorrows first order of business is wood and meat, and then begin the ascent.

"If anyone finds this journal . . ." I really like this touch - it shows the protagonist is really aware of his own mortality.

"Finally arrived at the hut on crystal lake." I had to do a double take on this, as I live less than fifteen minutes from the RL town of Crystal Lake! No bears here, though we def have coyotes, and unconfirmed reports of wolves and the occasional cougar . . .

Day 115

12pm, -10C (inside) Clear, Calm
Well its that time. Ive got some wood prepared for my eventual return. I'm hoping i don't need to spend more than 2 days on the mountain, but we shall see. Wish me luck.

6pm 0C, (Inside)
Today was trying. Ive only managed to reach the first step of the mountain, climbing one set of fixed ropes. The weather turned 2 hours into my trip. I was also mauled by a wolf who crested a small hill right in front of me. Lost an arrow into him before he struck.  He took off after a brief struggle, could hear the poor bastard whimpering and hoiwling up across the river,.i think he died not 30 minutes ago....hope hes out of his misery. Ive set up shop in a cave, seems extensive but haven't explored. Ill push on tomorrow morning, weather permitting.

Day 116

6am, 0c (inside)
Woke in the cave and got moving. Harvested the wolf from yesterday for its meat, also recovered the arrow. Started pressing into the cave, my torch was giving off poor light and fell off a sheer ledge. Really busted up my ankle and wrist, but i cant afford to stop. Have swallowed a handful of painkillers. Lets just hope this isn't the start of something terrible. I'm scared now...i never liked caves and being deep underground.

5PM, -16, -1, Clear, Gales
Im holed up in an open cave in the upper parts of the mountain now, absolutely shattered. I'm getting into my bed roll and waiting for morning before i push on. One more step up now.

Day 117

8am, -20, -1, Overcast, Light wind
I survived the night. Pushing on and upwards

8pm, -16, -1, Clear, Calm.
SUCCESS!!!!!! Ive done it! im on the summit. I finished the final part of the ascent in the dark, and have found a cave to hole up in until dawn. I'm exhausted but satisfied. Down to my last meal, so timing was perfect.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/311118613850785138/403E914660B04B12C0F2E26F216333F11C4C685A/

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/311118613850785569/DADEE82298E436C2633B1BD82C6963C726F10D2D/

Day 118

7.00AM, -21, -1, Clear, Calm.
Have found the wreck up on the summit. What an incredible sight. Many storage containers still within the tail section of the plane, found a further 20 rifle rounds, a ton of food, clothing tools, medical suppliers.....there is no way i can bring all this back with me. I found a good spot to fix ropes so coming back on further expeditions should be easier. I'm going to take stock and get back down.

4.00pm, 1C, -10, Blizzard
Im back at the hut on the lake, but left the bearskin bedroll on the summit!!!!!!! Devastating development. Oh well, ill just have to craft another one back in PV. I'm planning on resting and moving out at first light, to get back to the homestead, ill be taking the rifle ammunition i found and some more hunting knives and whetstones

Day 119

7.00am, -17C (Inside) Fog, Calm
Woke after a sound sleep. This morning i will attempt to get back to PV as fast as possible.

12.00pm, -5 (inside) Clear, Gales
Have arrived safely at the Farmstead, Home Sweet Home. The journey back from the fixed rope up to TWM was uneventful. I saw a few wolves stalking and hunting deer, and was caught in a mild wind storm. The plan for today and tomorrow will be to take stock, repair clothing, gather wood then hunt. I now require more bearskin for a new bedroll, so when Mr Bear shows up ill get him then.

Day 120

8.00am, -5 (inside)  Fog, Calm
Wow its great to be home! That was a rough trip, but it paid off. This morning i need to start the reapir process, and keep an eye out for Mr Bear.

I brought back.....

20 Rifle Rounds
6 Whetstone
3 Hacksaw
10 MRE
4 Fire striker
30 Coffee

There is a ton more stuff left, however its going to take multiple expeditions to  bring everything back which will each require preparation.

7.00pm -5 (inside), Snow, Gales
RIP Mr Bear - you will not go to waste, Harvest the pelt and gut and got them curing. Will butcher him up tomorrow and start cooking him. Have quite a few MRE's left so will store them until Mr Bear is gone. MRE for dinner and off to bed.

Day 121

7.00am, 1C (Inside), Blizzard
Woke after a nice long sleep to an angry storm howling outside. Butchering Mr Bear might prove problematic.....he is however 10 meters from my porch door, so im sure i can make it work. WIll sit the storm out. I also need to collect wood, i neglected it yesterday and now im out of wood to burn. MRE and coffee for breakfast

02.00am, -5, Clear, Light win
had a productive day, collected a good amount of wood, butchered and cooked Mr Bear and have all clothes back to good as new. Bear for dinner and off to bed. Tomorrow will be casual, eating, sleeping.

Day 122

9.00am, -5, Clear, Light wind
Looks like a fine morning. Scavengers must've taken Mr Bears carcass away. Suits me. Not going to get up to much today.

7.00pm, -5 (Inside) Overcast, light wind
Off to bed, i went out and set two snares so i can start building a supply of cured pelts. Bear for dinner.

Day 123

7.00am, -5 (Inside) Fog, light wind
Time to get up and check my snares.  Wood collection is on the to do list. Also need one more bear pelt, but I'm reluctant to take another animal until all my current meat supply is exhausted.

3.00pm -5 (inside) Calm, light wind
Went out and collected sticks, not much firewood sized pieces around close by, may have to go further tomorrow if no more branches fall. had two rabbits in the snares, i will need to use these first pelts to repair my gloves. Rabbit for dinner with some candy, now off to bed for a long nights sleep.

Day 124

11.00am, -5 (Inside) Clear, Calm
Standing on the porch chewing some cold cooked bear meat and sipping a coffee. Theres so much i have to do, also need to do, but some days can not be bothered doing. Today is one of those days. What i really need to do is keep taking pelts but i cant bring myself to waste the meat. I also need to plan further expeditions to TWM, but cant go through that just yet. It was risky and hard. I could check out Mystery Lake as i havent been there for a long time. Actually that might be the next expedition.

9.00pm, -5 (inside) Clear, light snow
Caught a few more rabbits today, im considering now going to ML on an expedition and focusing on the bearskin bedroll when i come back. Admired the night sky for a while and then off to bed.

Day 125

6.00pm, -5 (inside) Clear, light winds.
Spent the day crafting arrows. Im trying to get toward to the end of my meat supply so i can take the rest with me to ML and not waste any. Bear for dinner and early night.

Update

Day 131

Deceased

I was on my return from ML and was sleeping in my bedroll in the dam and passed away. I suspect it was temperature related but cannot be sure as i was fully watered and fed prior to sleeping. So ends a saga! Ive learnt alot though and know how i would apply it to my next run. To be honest ill probably take a short hiatus as the thought of all the ferrying im going to have to do is putting me off.

Thanks for reading, ill start a new journal with my next run so stay tuned.

Thanks dude. Am a bit sad I had such a good thing going in PV. I had no afflictions when I slept so I imagine it was the cold as I would remove all my clothes when I got into the bedroll. I didn't intend to in this case but is habit now. Ah well. Now I really wish for a sled or something. I collect everything and store it at the PV homestead. 

Oh no! :(  RIP

I died once to unknown causes, too.  Wish the death screen would tell you what happened.  Sometimes it's painfully obvious what got you (like wolf chewing off your face), but sometimes it's not.

Looking forward to your next adventure!

1 hour ago, Seshins said:

Yeah i wish i knew for sure! Thanks for coming along, ill have my next one up within a week i think, i can never stay away for long

Sorry to hear your initial journey came to an end. As I'm sure you realize, we've all been there. ;)

Looking forward to your next log. 

--Patrick

Archived