Finding Books -> a quote or two at least, eh?

stray_cur

Surprised it's not already there.  Finding books could prompt an excerpt / quote or two / first sentence.  Some food for thought, would be good.  There are already some nice quotes to start the game... then never again.. why not?  

As Kafka says, "A book must be the axe for the frozen sea within us". 

On 8.3.2016 at 11:00 PM, Bethany Williams said:

Books will be a bit more useful/engaging at some point. For now, just stay warm!

I wonder how will they raise our skill's like sharpening skill raised from reading "Staying Sharp a book on knife maintenance" or some sort of trait system will be introduced like character customization and all that, I vote for the skill increase, keeping it simple is keeping it real :)

I don't like the idea of the magically getting skills by reading books, i do like the concept (don't know if this has ever been done in a game before) of taking said book of knowledge with you to any place you call your workplace/shop, be it nature or your cabin, turn theorie into practice and only then should you get your skillpoint or whatever.

This simple trick would be revolutionary in terms of (skill)books and skills/talents in videogames.
There would never be an exception, even if the protagonist would find a book on crafting clothing, if the protagonist already has knowledge on crafting clothing he/she would still have to craft said clothing first.

Noone can say you can do something, and noone can say you can't do something before you actually did anything.
It isn't said that i can't build a rocket without first learning/reading/getting lectured (you get the point) on how to build a rocket, but then again, it isn't said that i can build a rocket even if i had the knowledge. No i didn't make a typo there.
Did the man who invented language go to school? Didn't think so.

Apart from all that i do like the TC his idea, i actually like it very very much, a few quotes why not.
More people will probably read them than lets say full books like in Skyrim, i like to read but not when i am gaming, then i like to game, i don't like to mix my stuff, i don't like to eat my potatoes together with my sausage.
I like all kinds of fruits but no smoothies, and i'm going a bit off-topic lol.
Anyway, quote's can be very inspiring, it's a very good suggestion, i hope lots of people see this topic and share their comments.
Simple idea, but very powerfull.

Gonna throw a quote in here too.
“Everything in creation has its appointed painter or poet and remains in bondage like the princess in the fairy tale 'til its appropriate liberator comes to set it free.”
― Ralph Waldo Emerson

5 minutes ago, Hatchet said:

I don't like the idea of the magically getting skills by reading books, i do like the concept (don't know if this has ever been done in a game before) of taking said book of knowledge with you to any place you call your workplace/shop, be it nature or your cabin, turn theorie into practice and only then should you get your skillpoint or whatever.

This simple trick would be revolutionary in terms of (skill)books and skills/talents in videogames.
There would never be an exception, even if the protagonist would find a book on crafting clothing, if the protagonist already has knowledge on crafting clothing he/she would still have to craft said clothing first.

Yea this is fine idea for example take a book of "Woodmaster lumberjack's best techniques "  and when you harvest wood your wood harvesting skill if there is one in the future will raise by 2 points instead of one.

Id prefer books about certain topics increase effectiveness of certain actions, like faster cooking or better quality crafting or new recipes/designs, without affecting skill gain. The fact that player know how to do something doesnt mean that he knows how to do it in the most effective way, be it amount of resources used or tiny tweaks to process itself.

Like protagonist may have read in some journal, at some point in his life, an article about flint knapping, so he has general idea on how it may be done. But he, most likely, wont remember any specifics of the process. And thats where books or journals or even papers come into play, allowing him better understanding of the process and filling holes in his knowledge about it.

Archived