Info on the Next Update!

Raphael van Lierop

• Hinterland

You know we love to keep you up to date on what we're working on, without giving too much away and ruining the surprise. And this update on the update will be no different!

In our video for "Deep Forest", we teased the creation of a new region for you to explore. It's been coming along really well, and in fact we've decided to expand this effort to make the new region fit even better with the rest of the world.

We've also been working on some enhancements to existing features, as well as a couple of brand new things, all while working on the much-anticipated Story mode...

It's become apparent to us that The Long Dark has become quite big, and as a result it requires more and more testing time to ensure it's as stable and bug-free as possible when we release it. We have dedicated full-time testers as well as a group of volunteer "Scouts" who serve as a first-pass on gameplay and tuning changes. All this effort goes in to ensuring the game continues to be a high-quality, polished experience for you.

Every time we add something to the game, we have to test everything to make sure the additions haven't broken something that was already working. As a result, more and more of our monthly update cycle is dedicated with testing and bug-fixing, leaving us with less time to put new stuff in the game. This is even more true because we like our updates to feel like significant improvements to the player experience.

So -- the update is big, and we're going to take a little more time to polish and test it. Our revised ETA is sometime around mid-September. This will give us the time we need to ensure the update lives up to our expectations, and is as bug-free as possible.

Thanks for your patience. We'll be teasing out a few more details in the coming weeks. Until then, enjoy!

- Raphael

Great Game!! Look forward to update. I've survived 117 days. I am now on my last map and in need of new territory to explore. I've enjoyed the sandbox mode but would like to explore this world with a little structure. Is there any ETA on the Story Mode?

Thanks Fodd

• 3 weeks later...

Archived