upgradable snow shelter

Rifleman

Upgradable snow shelters  

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I like this. It looks good. It could take time to build it and it could have the temperature benefits that the one we have now has. I say this because I believe the snowshelter right now needs nerfing. It's too powerful and it's like bringing a cabin with you while it looks like the type of shelter that should only keep you away from the wind and have some bonus temperature, like a cave. 

But if we could create different ones, or upgrade, it would take time (you can't just do a shelter of this type in the middle of a blizzard, you would probably die or suffer a lot by the time you finish) and that way it would do well for the gameplay. Because let me tell you,lately I just find that it ruins that sense of impending doom to have a portable cabin at my disposal.

6 hours ago, CarolinaSantAngelo said:

I like this. It looks good. It could take time to build it and it could have the temperature benefits that the one we have now has. I say this because I believe the snowshelter right now needs nerfing. It's too powerful and it's like bringing a cabin with you while it looks like the type of shelter that should only keep you away from the wind and have some bonus temperature, like a cave. 

But if we could create different ones, or upgrade, it would take time (you can't just do a shelter of this type in the middle of a blizzard, you would probably die or suffer a lot by the time you finish) and that way it would do well for the gameplay. Because let me tell you,lately I just find that it ruins that sense of impending doom to have a portable cabin at my disposal.

I agree 100% it is too "overpowered"

Personally, I think it should give a very small warmth bonus, but there should be a wind proof spot for a fire in front of the opening. That way it's not a guarantee of survival...

Sam

I'm also not really for this idea. The snow shelters are supposed to be temporary, emergency shelters. If you allow them to be upgraded to a point where they're better than all of the permanent structures in the game then you'd have a major problem with power creep. It's not much of a survival game if I can make an ice palace to spend the winter in.

Personally, I would like to see candles be introduced to the game as well as homemade fuel can stoves. That way a snow shelter only protects from wind and acts like a cave otherwise. I know that's not true to life (snow's a great insulator) but it would prevent them from being used as cabin replacements. You can then light a candle or fuel can stove inside to give the warmth bonus provided you have enough sticks or candles.

1 hour ago, cekivi said:

I'm also not really for this idea. The snow shelters are supposed to be temporary, emergency shelters. If you allow them to be upgraded to a point where they're better than all of the permanent structures in the game then you'd have a major problem with power creep. It's not much of a survival game if I can make an ice palace to spend the winter in.

Personally, I would like to see candles be introduced to the game as well as homemade fuel can stoves. That way a snow shelter only protects from wind and acts like a cave otherwise. I know that's not true to life (snow's a great insulator) but it would prevent them from being used as cabin replacements. You can then light a candle or fuel can stove inside to give the warmth bonus provided you have enough sticks or candles.

Snow shelters are not permanent you still need to repair them also the upgrades will use a lot of resources 

3 hours ago, Patrick Carlson said:

Thanks for the suggestion! How have you found the current mechanics related to maintaining the Snow Shelter?

I like the current machanics but the upgrade I like the most from the suggestion is storage capacity 

I like the idea of the upgraded shelter with minimal storage space and longer lifespan. I think we need to keep the requirement of repairing it, but just make it last a little longer before being ruined. I do still feel it needs a bit of a nerf on the temperature bonus however. 

5 minutes ago, AHGoodwin said:

I like the idea of the upgraded shelter with minimal storage space and longer lifespan. I think we need to keep the requirement of repairing it, but just make it last a little longer before being ruined. I do still feel it needs a bit of a nerf on the temperature bonus however. 

I didn't tell you how much temperature bonus it gives you

Folks, digging a hole in the snow, and then covering it, basically something like what we have in game now, is a very cozy place to be, if its done properly. The game currently requires 45 minutes for construction, which is about right depending on available tools. ( alot closer to right than the 45 minutes it takes to beak a limb into 3 pieces) The in game model has a very small opening, its main space is well below the top of the surrounding snow, and it has a cover. I've only spent a couple nights in one, but I didn't think they were OP, compared to actual real life experience of sleeping in one. They are quite a comfortable way to spend a night in cold weather. I personally feel like an E-tool or something similar needs to be added to the game, and required for construction of one of these. I have dug them out without any tools whatsoever except hands and feet, I've dug them with snowshoes, e-tools, and even a tiny cat-hole spade. The less appropriate your tool is for the job, the longer it takes, and the less cozy, over all,  its likely to be. I would be in favor of varying degrees of effectiveness, based on what tools are used, and how much time is spent. If someone isn't currently freezing to death, and devotes an extra hour, they should be rewarded for their efforts. I REALLY REALLY like the idea of the coffee can stoves. I mean, heck, you can make a stove that will boil a liter of water in 12 minutes out of a soda can with just a pocket knife and a thumbtack. (of course, it takes a kind of fuel that isnt currently in the game)  One of those and a good bedroll would make a snow shelter something to write in your journal about! However, the roof of the shelter would need to be constructed of something a bit less susceptible to melting. Like boughs from trees, or several animal hides, (cured or not, shouldnt matter)   Keep in mind, they are balanced with short life span, and/or frequent maintenance, and zero protection from predators.  The (in game) nights I spent in one were not worry free in my mind. Of course, I wasn't familiar with them yet, so that played in, but the temperature inside was low enough, even with full crafted set of clothing, ( but I was also on the summit of TWM)  that I slept in very short shifts throughout the night.  My thoughts are that a person with a regular bedroll in good condition and decent clothing should be able to sleep in one without fear of hypothermia. And I think thats pretty close to where its at.  I honestly cant see the need for storage with one, as far as how they work in the game, just drop your stuff on the ground outside.  Overall, I really feel like the team hit the nail on the head with the current iteration of snow shelters.  

With that said, I do agree that it reduces the delicious anxiety of the game, knowing you can just turn 3 cloth and some sticks into a Motel 6 anytime, anywhere.  Perhaps we need some type of "Survival" or  "Wilderness" skill brought into play. It could affect the quality of the shelter, or the shelter be a reward for reaching level 3 or 4. It would also affect things like gathering wood, traveling speed over rough or snowy terrain, and campfires. Because building a campfire and starting a fire in stove are not the same thing.  Enh, just my two cents worth. all of it. 

2 hours ago, TROY said:

With that said, I do agree that it reduces the delicious anxiety of the game, knowing you can just turn 3 cloth and some sticks into a Motel 6 anytime, anywhere. 

Which was exactly my argument above :winky:

This is one of the few cases where an object in game is a little too realistic.

The snow shelter

11 hours ago, cekivi said:

IRL snow shelter: how it is look like. What is it? How to make one? 

A simple trench shelter (which I assume is what we're making?) is just a trench in the snow with sticks, a tarp, and more snow for the roof. A fairly basic shelter that most survival guides or people who use the outdoors will know about. So, I don't think a book is necessary to learn how to make one. Requiring a tool (like a shovel) or at least having the option for one would be a big improvement as would needing to collect boughs for bedding (again, optional or not).

9 hours ago, cekivi said:

A simple trench shelter (which I assume is what we're making?) is just a trench in the snow with sticks, a tarp, and more snow for the roof. A fairly basic shelter that most survival guides or people who use the outdoors will know about. So, I don't think a book is necessary to learn how to make one. Requiring a tool (like a shovel) or at least having the option for one would be a big improvement as would needing to collect boughs for bedding (again, optional or not).

Let's just assume the survivor watched the YouTube video before the world ended 

3 hours ago, cekivi said:

What's YouTube? :silly:

YouTube is a global video-sharing website headquartered in San Bruno, California, United States.

The service was created by three former PayPal employees in February 2005. In November 2006, it was bought by Google for US$1.65 billion. YouTube now operates as one of Google's subsidiaries.  The site allows users to upload, view, rate, share, and comment on videos, and it makes use of WebM, H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, and Adobe Flash Video technology to display a wide variety of user-generated and corporate media video. Available content includes video clips, TV clips, music videos, movie trailers, and other content such as video blogging, short original videos, and educational videos.

Most of the content on YouTube has been uploaded by individuals, but media corporations including CBS, the BBC, Vevo, Hulu, and other organizations offer some of their material via YouTube, as part of the YouTube partnership program. Unregistered users can watch videos, and registered users are permitted to upload an unlimited number of videos and add comments to videos. Videos deemed potentially offensive are available only to registered users affirming themselves to be at least 18 years old.

Archived