upgradable snow shelter

Rifleman

Upgradable snow shelters  

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 7/29/2016 at 0:49 PM, Patrick Carlson said:

Thanks for the suggestion! How have you found the current mechanics related to maintaining the Snow Shelter?

I just spent about 50 nights in a snow shelter.  Just the one shelter, actually... I got a LOT of mileage out of those three cloth.  Every day I repaired it with a stick or two -- it only took a minute, so the maintenance was very cheap indeed.

I stashed my bedroll elsewhere, crawled in and took off most of my clothes too, because it's always super warm inside: -5C.  (For comparison, the red barn in PV is -8C).  This saved me a ton of wear and tear on clothes and bedroll.  And no need to keep an eye on the weather, such as blizzards dropping by while I slept.  (If blizzards have any effect on the snow shelter, I couldn't spot it.)

And you know where I built it?  Right next to the mountaineer's hut (voyageur).  It became quite trivial to stay there without fur clothes.  Not just for sleeping but also to thwart the hypothermia mechanic because you warm up so fast in one, even in your starter clothes.  Spend a goodly chunk of game time at Freezing, nip into the pocket cabin before you've lost 40 condition to clear your hypothermia risk, repeat.  

Realistic or not, the current implementation of the snow shelter really does nerf the challenge of the game pretty dramatically.

Archived