TLD - Alpha Release

radiostar

Playing the alpha version right now, and the game looks absolutely amazing!!! I made the mistake of first crossing into the open field, but realized my body temperature was... oh sorry, have to go... the Doctor is back with the Tardis, and says we need to rush back to 2013...

Do you have Pledge of $80 CAD or more? I thinking because you are VIP backer...and you playing game already.

From what I have seen / read. the $80 CAD and above get's you the Alpha and Beta access.

Playing the alpha version right now, and the game looks absolutely amazing!!! I made the mistake of first crossing into the open field, but realized my body temperature was... oh sorry, have to go... the Doctor is back with the Tardis, and says we need to rush back to 2013...

Do you have Pledge of $80 CAD or more? I thinking because you are VIP backer...and you playing game already.

From what I have seen / read. the $80 CAD and above get's you the Alpha and Beta access.

I'm just wondering that there is going already alpha but everyone who have access to alpha can't play...only few and chosen one can play. I'm purchased immediately the $80 CAD but I don't because I can't play however...

I'm just wondering that there is going already alpha but everyone who have access to alpha can't play...only few and chosen one can play. I'm purchased immediately the $80 CAD but I don't because I can't play however...

Phase One has been to release the Sandbox Alpha to 25 of our “superbackers” -- people who pledged $1000 and above to support The Long Dark.

Phase One has been to release the Sandbox Alpha to 25 of our “superbackers” -- people who pledged $1000 and above to support The Long Dark.

Yeah, I know that. It's however alpha so why everyone who has alpha access can't play, it's alpha...and some person have VIP status already play, so he is'nt pledged $1000 or above...

It's simply a way to make those who Pledged a larger sum of money to feel like they got more for the buck if you will. Which I'm sure that will get taken out of context. But those who make the smaller donations overall total up to be more than a "Superbackers" single donation. I'm sure the Alpha will be released to the rest of us soon or if your unwilling to wait maybe try a refund or stop the transfer of funds.

• Hinterland

A few comments:

- We're not simply manipulating things so that our "superbackers" (people who pledged between $1000-$5000 to support the project) feel like they got more for the buck, although they certainly deserve it, don't you think?

- We're not in a position to be able to meaningfully process playtesting feedback and bugs from hundreds or thousands of players at this point. By opening it up to a smaller group, we're able to fix bugs, ensure stability, and get initial playtesting feedback from a small enough group that we can actually act on the feedback.

This is allowing us to implement the right tools, process, and people to prepare for a much larger influx of players, down the road.

$80 and $40 backers will get their turn in due course. The game will be better for the help these "superbackers" have provided.

We have a plan and in all actions do all we can to create and deliver an experience of quality. We also do it on our own schedule, as we are the only ones who can judge whether the timing is right or not.

If you have any questions or concerns about this, I welcome you to contact me directly, at: raphael(at)hinterlandgames(dot)com

It's simply a way to make those who Pledged a larger sum of money to feel like they got more for the buck if you will. Which I'm sure that will get taken out of context. But those who make the smaller donations overall total up to be more than a "Superbackers" single donation. I'm sure the Alpha will be released to the rest of us soon or if your unwilling to wait maybe try a refund or stop the transfer of funds.

Perhaps youre new to this...

Its not unusual for games to have a pre-alpha. There is a selected group of users who get all of the low hanging fruit bugs out of the way. Why not let those who have a large vested interest in the game try it first?

Simply opening up to hundreds or thousands of people creates a bug tracking nightmare.

Look at some of the pre alpha games on Steam. The bug tracking is awful. Loads of duplicates, insufficient data, and most bugs untouched and not commented on by admins.

Sorry you feel like you're not included. You will have alpha access soon, and I believe you will be very pleased, as I was. The game is going to be more stable and more fun thanks to those who are taking the time to evaluate, and the Hinterland team who are addressing every issue and suggestion that is coming up during the pre-alpha release.

Well Its is advertised as ACCESS TO ALPHA not Phase 2 or 3 of ALPHA so the information is misleading to say the least. There is no mention of phases of release on the area of the website where you can browse the different options. So yes I can see why people are getting frustrated.

Well Its is advertised as ACCESS TO ALPHA not Phase 2 or 3 of ALPHA so the information is misleading to say the least. There is no mention of phases of release on the area of the website where you can browse the different options. So yes I can see why people are getting frustrated.

If you want to get into semantics, it does not say immediate access to alpha/pre-alpha.

You do have a point that phases weren't clear. But schedules are always dynamic, and the Hinterland team has never committed to any firm timelines. They have been realistic, and been communicating every step of the way.

In reality, no one would have known about the pre-alpha testing, had they not told you. I believe they are being honest and forthright with the progress of the game, and have never attempted to overpromise, or mislead.

Bottom line, the backers who pledged to receive alpha access will get alpha access.

• Hinterland

No need to be rude to members of the community, McKnight. We're all friends here.

I think Rob's points are fair, and I think the comment that we didn't mention phases of the Alpha is correct also. The truth is, last September when we launched our KS, other than knowing we wanted to have an Alpha and Beta (like most games we've worked on before), we didn't know 100% how that would take shape, nor did we understand how various other influences would factor in to it.

I'm glad you're excited to play the game. You'll get your turn, I promise! And I think you will be happy with the result, despite the "wait".

In hindsight maybe it was unwise of us to mention the game was in Alpha with a small group of testers -- we shared this mainly because (a) we're excited about being at this stage, and (b) we wanted everyone else to know we are at this stage, the game is playable, there's some good stuff there, and you know, things are progressing.

It's all good! :)

Well none of this is about me. I made a comment regarding my thoughts and some how it turned into all about me. I'm no longer interested in the game I had my bank stop the transaction. As for being "rude" it's more like being blunt/direct. The answer was already given there was no reason or need for any further talk regarding the matter but again those with the "Founder" tags seem to think they are apart of the Hinterland Staff. Based on some of the posts I've read it seems like there answering questions that are meant for Hinterland Staff. So how good is the information?

No need for a reply I consider this topic dead. I was here to play a great game not argue. Good luck with meeting your goals!

McKnight -- please note, that while we have no problem with disagreements or even negative comments, we must insist on at least decorum, and cannot permit flame wars to persist.

It's simply a way to make those who Pledged a larger sum of money to feel like they got more for the buck if you will.

I have no problem with your opinion, but would like to reassure you that wasn't the purpose. Yes the superbackers who did pledge a much higher amount have been given preliminary access to the pre-alpha [many are actually programmers as well], but that's also part of release logistics.

Since it's a very small group, the studio was able to iron out some considerable issues (both in access) and some initial adjustments to ensure each update can also be processed upon release (e.g. an initial correction needed to be made for various Mac systems). As well, it was necessary for testing and setting up bug and feedback reporting guidelines for a separate alpha forum section [which all alpha player will have access to].

That user would also happen to be me -- it was posted using my personal backer account rather than my admin studio account simply to help avoid post confusion between forum information and my personal postings.

let the HINTERLAND TEAM answer not a so called "superbacker"

Raph, Alan, and many people from the Hinterland team do try to reply to posts when possible [in fact Raph did respond to yours], but many of the regulars here also try to explain the process so that the main team can focus of the game, getting the release systems set up, and fixing some of the issues so that the game (or official alpha release) will run relatively smoothly upon full alpha access release.

With Rob and a number of others helping to respond to posts, it has allowed the Hinterland team to place most of their focus on preparing the alpha release (including some unexpected glitches). The official alpha release will be available soon (Raph I believe will be releasing some official timelines very shortly), and I can tell you it will have been worth the wait.

Please Note: flame wars will not be tolerated.

Sorry, but you had your answers and your warnings McKnight...

*btw* The Hinterland CEO and Owner was the one right above your posts that kept responding -- you know, the one with the "HINTERLAND" ID right under his name...

Trying to incite flame wars will not be tolerated. You no longer have board privileges unless Raph says otherwise.

ADDENDUM: User has received permanent ban after continuing to spam under another alias, and issuing continued threats.

Archived