Crouching unusually sluggish... ?

ManicManiac

Has anyone else noticed that since the Crossroads Elegy update that getting into a crouched position takes an unusually long time?
If so, does anyone have any insight as to whether this is intentional before I mention it to 'Support'?

:coffee::fire:
I did try searching for the keyword "crouching" in the forums but there were no recent results... so if I missed anything, I did try to look.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

I've noticed this, yeah.

Seems like the transition time between standing and crouching has been increased, though I think you're flagged as 'crouching' as soon as you hit the button - had to slip under some rocks in a cave and was immediately able to proceed even while the animation was playing. Does seem to cause some camera issues, however - had a few moments where my view was clipping through the rocks.

• Like 2

@ManicManiac I'd like to say I'm having the same issue and I totally forgot to report it! It's like 5 whole seconds just to crouch and really choppy camera too! It makes looking under beds and stuff for loot a chore. 

@Admin I'd also like to add that anything with physics looks choppy, like throwing torches, rocks, and lanterns swinging. Even with 60fps it looks more on the 30-40 range. 

• Like 1

I've also noticed that every once in a while the camera will suddenly drop to floor level and then come back up again slowly as if you're coming out of a crouch, but without the crouch button getting pushed. Noticed it a few times; once while wandering about in MT in the back "street" that goes to the bank manager's house(I'm playing all three episodes from the beginning) as well as once inside when coming to the top of a set of stairs in one of the MT houses.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stratvox said:

I've also noticed that every once in a while the camera will suddenly drop to floor level and then come back up again slowly as if you're coming out of a crouch, but without the crouch button getting pushed. Noticed it a few times; once while wandering about in MT in the back "street" that goes to the bank manager's house(I'm playing all three episodes from the beginning) as well as once inside when coming to the top of a set of stairs in one of the MT houses.

Hi @stratvox, please make a report in our support portal about these camera anomalies, if you haven't already. That's the best place to log these issues. https://hinterlandgames.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

Thank you. 

• Like 1

Just now, Admin said:

Hi @stratvox, please make a report in our support portal about these camera anomalies, if you haven't already. That's the best place to log these issues. https://hinterlandgames.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

Thank you. 

Sure. I'm going to have to wait until this evening though. I'm also running an unusual setup; I'm running the windows version in linux using the steam compatibility tool w/ VKDX because there are rendering issues in the linux version wrt opengl and z-fighting on distant terrain which ends up leading to a lot of eyestrain after playing for an hour or thereabouts.

• Like 1

Guest jeffpeng
58 minutes ago, stratvox said:

Sure. I'm going to have to wait until this evening though. I'm also running an unusual setup; I'm running the windows version in linux using the steam compatibility tool w/ VKDX because there are rendering issues in the linux version wrt opengl and z-fighting on distant terrain which ends up leading to a lot of eyestrain after playing for an hour or thereabouts.

It's not about your setup. It happens in all versions I've tried so far. Hope that's just some frame time divider gone rogue and it's easily fixed. Still a bit puzzled how that squeezed through final QA.

23 minutes ago, jeffpeng said:

It's not about your setup. It happens in all versions I've tried so far. Hope that's just some frame time divider gone rogue and it's easily fixed. Still a bit puzzled how that squeezed through final QA.

And a report from you would be helpful as well, if you haven't submitted one already! Thank you. https://hinterlandgames.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

:coffee:

• Like 1

On 10/25/2019 at 6:43 PM, stratvox said:

off-topic but... if you can explain how you did this setup, would be much appreciated :)

After the hotfix and 4DoN update, crouching seems normal, maybe even a touch quicker than before.

The stuttery animations and movements, sudden camera movements also seem to be fixed. Playing 4DoN and lighting seems much better, but... it's eternal night, so... can't check the sunlight right now. But def, crouching & standing up are smooth and quick again.

Game is running buttery smooth for me in 4Don.

• Like 1

On 10/28/2019 at 4:30 AM, LkP said:

off-topic but... if you can explain how you did this setup, would be much appreciated :)

It was really simple, actually. You get yourself on the Steam beta so you can access the "Steamplay compatibility tool". Then you open TLD's properties in the Steam client, and on the bottom of the first tab you'll see an entry for "Force the use of a particular steamplay compatibility tool". Pick the latest version Proton in the drop down. It'll download about 350 MBs for Proton, and then it'll download about another half gig for the Windows executables, then when you start the game it'll load it into Proton, which is a tool that combines Wine with the VKDX tool, which translates DX calls into Vulkan api calls.

The player's save files aren't quite in the same location. I used a soft link to link the windows save game directory to the linux one in the file system, so they're always in sync with each other.

Proton works incredibly well; I've played Prey, TLD, Homeworld Remastered & Deserts of Kharak, they all work well and with good performance... which is not to say that I don't want the native linux version of TLD to work properly because proton does cost some performance.

You can go check out on the latest reports on game compatibility at https://www.protondb.com/ if you're interested in a game that's only available on Windows.

Edited by stratvox
clarity and grammar

On 10/31/2019 at 1:12 PM, LkP said:

@stratvox thanks. Last time I tried, the problem came from vulkan. But I'll give it a try again.

Which particular version of linux are you running? Ubuntu? Debian? Centos? Are you running nvidia or amd?

My main area of familiarity is ubuntu; there are things you can do that can radically improve the library situation through the use of PPAs.

14 hours ago, stratvox said:

Which particular version of linux are you running?

Debian stable. I have to check if the situation change since the last big update. (will do that when I'll settle a bit for the winter ;) )

2 hours ago, stratvox said:

You want to get on kernel 3.5 and the latest'n'greatest mesa (19.3), as well as the latest nvidia drivers. If you're using radeon, the open source drivers are doing a great job.

yep, ok for the kernel, but latest mesa/nvidia is not a option for stable. I'll consider switching to testing. Thanks for the inputs.

• 1 month later...